Tascam M2600 Preamp Upgrade

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartpre

Hi. I have acquired a Tascam M2600 16 channel board and I want to upgrade it a bit to make it usable as a stop gap studio front end and headphone mixer. What reviews i've read identify the preamp as the weakest link in this mixer. The preamp is attached. The op amp is first half of M5220L, the second half of U1 is send to channel fader.

What can i do, cheapish but good improvement? I have previously recorded with CAPI VP25 which was fine and also Soundcraft TS24 which was also fine.

Attachments

• Preamp M2500.jpg
    Preamp M2500.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 0
It would help if you could describe what is 'weak' about the preamps. Is it noise floor, lack of headroom, lack of low end extension, lack of high end detail? A simple and high quality upgrade is to simply replace the entire preamp with a THAT1510 or 1512 chip. They're great and very simple to implement.

I'll second that and follow it with, is there something about the preamp you heard that you don't like? reviews are one thing, your ears are another. Have you actually given a listen to the preamp to determine if it is "weak"? If so what was weak about it?

Yes, good replys thankyou. I will try recording with the preamps and compare, hopefully it is useable as is.

Latest posts

Back