Telefunken V672/2 Rack up finished *PICS*

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kid Squid

Hiya chaps,
haven't been around for a month or two - been stupidly busy with work, and getting stuff sorted for myself, and a couple of mates.
anyway, finally finished the Telefunken V672 Rackup, and they sound absolutley stunning :thumb:
A massive heping of respect going out to Kubi - for all the Telefunken information / pad values, and good vibes along the way. cheers mate , thanks :sam:
and Jensenmann, for selling me three replacement V672 i/p transformers ( i used two of them - two of the modules, had been dropped in transit.)
One of the units - the i/p transformer, had snapped off the main board, and snapped the very fine winding wire -(thinnest wire i have ever seen !)
on the second unit - when connected up, when turning the gain pot - att off position, signal still there, but thick and muddy. at the other end - full up - signal was cleaner, but feedbacking like there was a mini Hendrix inside !?!, had to be an impedance issue. So, after checking about - it was coming from the i/p transformer ?
de-soldered it, and sure enough, two of the pins had snapped off the transformer. replaced iron, and off she goes. cheers Jens old bean :guinness:
anyway, enough of the babble, here's the pics,

normal_23-08-06_2242.jpg

normal_24-08-06_0012.jpg

normal_24-08-06_0013.jpg

normal_IMG_3793.JPG

normal_IMG_3794.JPG

normal_IMG_3826a.jpg

normal_IMG_3832.JPG

normal_IMG_3853.JPG

normal_IMG_3889.JPG

normal_IMG_3891.JPG

normal_IMG_3471.JPG

normal_IMG_3792a.jpg

normal_IMG_3469.JPG

normal_IMG_3883.JPG

normal_IMG_3887.JPG

normal_IMG_3899.JPG

if you want the supasize pics, go here http://www.twin-x.com/groupdiy/thumbnails.php?album=177
click on the pic u want to see, and click it again.
Enjoy, coz i did :thumb:
Steve

Looks too good , ya bastard ! nice work on the inside too

now comes the real responsability , recording
if they sound half as good as they look , you have it made .

what program did you use to design the panels ?

Hi okgb,

cheers mate,
now comes the real responsability , recording
if they sound half as good as they look , you have it made .

already in session on a MSP recording, well impressed they are as well.
wish they were mine.........

All the engraving was done on a manual pantograph, big learning curve, but slowly moving up the ranks of engraving jedi :wink:
done most of my panels, apart from my GSSL, and LAzy 2a,
no computers here , old bean :wink:

:thumb:

Nice build! I'm doing the exact build right now (two older, two newer).

It's interesting you mentioned the input transformer breaking. I have seen this a lot, and worry about it with at least two of mine. When I handle one of them (turn it up side down, for example), there is a click coming from the input that sounds suspiciously like something is broken inside. We'll see.

The power transformer you used: How many amps is it rated? I was thinking for my build I would need 2 amps or better. Also, what brands/series of caps did you use to recap the pres?

Again, nice build (really nice, in fact). Those pres do sound awesome. Have fun.

Regards,

Steve

Hi Volker,

I recapped two of the units, and kept two original ( they guy who my mate bought them from, has had them in storage for the last 20 years +), so , i tested the caps for ESR (all good), and checked them for frequency loss ala eddie cilletis neve page (all good), so we kept the original caps in two of them.
not a huge difference in sound, but adds a little different flavour...,

lookn4tone,
one of the transformers, was loose inside - broken off, but the other one, had no visible damage, until it was plugged in.
i Think the transformer was around 2A per winding .
had to use a separate 5v@1a for the relays and leds, ( i used a iomega zip drive psu !!! works a treat. :wink:
recapped the pre's with new 'blue' axial BC caps. - nothing audiofool :wink:

regards,
Steve

[quote author="analag"]Hey ol boy, I saw the bud you cheeky guy you.

analag[/quote]

hehehehehe

I had to take a second look. Nice framing of the Bud! Technology meets Nature at it's finest!
:grin:

Hiya Kubi,
Thanks for the help bro :guinness:

noise floor on all pre amps,
not registering on pro tools, with gain all way up ( sm58)
a little bit of flicker (tiny ammount) using condenser mics - (just background noise - me in the room ( and glyph drive :grin: ),
and none whatsoever, when D.I'd bass (sounds gorgeous)- dont actually know how to work the figures out at the mo tho s/n, gain etc,etc,:oops:

I was originally a bit concerned with no.4, as the power transformer, is very close, as you pointed out, (had a backup PSU boxed up ready !), but i paid real good attention to the earthing rail, and kept the covers on the V672's, - i've seen a lot of them racked up horizontally, with no covers on ?, dont know why tho, as i thought 'screening' was one of the reasons for the covers ( apart from protection).
I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a couple for myself, as they sound bloody lovely :wink:

the bud is also very delicious chaps :green: :wink:

Steve :thumb:

Wow, that looks nice. Congrats :thumb:
This makes me jaleous. I had to give a lot of my projects away to pay my new board, so my V672 had to leave (without having it even heard).

But anyway, nice to see that the iron found a perfet new home
:guinness:

Sorted Jens mate :thumb:

Whenever you're thinking about it - let me know brawd, would be lovely to show you the sights :guinness :
the green, green grass of home :green: etc,etc.....
Steve

Looks really cool! Love the traffolyte.
believe i see where the Lazy Lizard colours hail from...

I'm about to embark on a similar project with v672s and was wondering
what input impedances u went for?
also what do u use the relays for, i wasnt going to bother with any but i just found a nice little psu layout with a 6v rail that would be good for relays.
http://www.vintagedesign.halmstad.net/diy/psu.pdf

I'm thinking for phase on the output, pad and flicking the 48v in, is that what u did?

cheers
Paul

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Adam & Joe Spacedust experiment

Latest posts

Back