Temporary FX-loopswitching - perhaps by MIDI ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintrubber

Hi,

I have this FX-loop-switcher for configuring gtr-FX-pedals on the fly by a single
hit of a footswitch: a MIDI-floorcontroller (ADA MC-1) sends a MIDI Program Change
to the switcher and I get another sound.
For illustration, I've arranged it to have basic sounds on the odd buttons
(clean, o'drive, fuzz etc) with tremolo'ed versions of them on the next even button.

For certain types of FX it'd be nice to be able to step on some kind of 'floorbutton' (& holding it)
and get say tremolo added to one of the basic sounds - as long as that button is pressed.
Once the button is released it goes back to the non-tremolo-version (in MIDI-speak it goes back to the
previous Program).

So before I start messing around something with the buttons of the ADA controller (pre-MIDI),
I'm wondering if there's some possibility to do this by MIDI.
So I'm looking for some temporary Program Change functionality, and upon release reverting back to
the previous MIDI-Program.

Any MIDI-wizards or MIDI-DIY-people out there ? Any suggestions ?

Thanks,

Peter

BTW#1, I've for instance been looking at MIDI-processor-boxes like the Yamaha MEP-4 but these all seem to lack
that 'back in time'-thing...

BTW#2, I realize certain temporary FX could be realized by fading in&out by a volume- or controller-pedal but being
able to go to&from potentially more differing FX-configurations would be preferred.

Messing with the switches may be the easiest way to do this. There is no 'temporary program change' in the midi spec. You will have to send 2 program changes: one to change to the tremelo programs, then one to change back to your non-tremelo programs.

The MIOS that was linked to could definitely be configured do this, but it might be overkill for what you want. But it's a pretty cool system so it might be worth the extra $$ and effort for the fun of it.

The ADA MC-1 already has circuitry for sending the MIDI Program changes you want to send. You might look at making a third box to trigger the ADA MC-1s by tying into their mometary buttons, such that when you press down on the button it triggers button 1 on the ADA MC-1, then when you release it, it triggers button 2 on the ADA MC-1 (or however you wanted it configured). That's what I'd try first, anyway, unless I wanted to build my own full-featured programmable foot pedal, then I'd go with the MIOS.

Hi cantgetnosleep (& welcome here !),

Thanks for the response. Yep, that MIOS looks like a nice thing to explore, but it's indeed a topic of its own, might be too big a distraction from the 'let's make the setup simpler'-idea.
It will of course make the end-result simpler, but modding the MC-1 is what I will try first now.

I have to sort out which & how many to&from-combinations I'd like to have. Likely it's not much more than adding a healthy dose of either fuzz, tremolo or spring reverb to the sound, so it won't be too many things.

Come to think of it, adding temporary spring reverb could already be one by simply breaking into the control-line from the switcher to the amp-FS-connector because the spring is not in one of the switcher-loops(I'm using the spring reverb of the gtr-amp).
Hmm, and if it weren't for a separate tremolo-box I could do likewise for the amp-tremolo.

I guess this all will do the job fine. With modding only a few MC-1 buttons it won't give me any to&from-combination but that wouldn't be needed.

Thanks !

Peter

Latest posts

Back