The Crown on Netflix

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveP

If you like quality films, this one is a cracker.  It used to be only the BBC that could make this kind of film.
http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/elizabeth-finds-her-voice-cracking-episode-crown-246006
I found it interesting because it covered the period that we didn't do as history in school because it was too recent, and also when I was alive but just a kid.

DaveP

My wife and I are watching and enjoying this series.  It is an eye opener for an american that has never seen monarchy in a positive light in the past.  There is so much insight in the series. 
When people are unsure of the prime minister they still have the queen.  What do americans have?

My wife asked me if I would bow to the queen.  I said of course I would with this new information.  God Save the Queen!  Can we adopt her?

I must admit that I was hesitant to put this on a largely US forum, but you seem to have liked our other offerings which are trivial by comparison, any ways I'm glad you like it.

Some of our earlier kings treated America badly and paid the price, but the constitutional monarchy that we have now seems to work very well.  The Queen, although virtually powerless by comparison to a President, has a lot of what we now call "soft power".
She is above politics and only offers advice if asked, she works by asking the prime minister "pertinent" questions.  She has kept her promise and devoted her life to the service of the country in a way that few politicians do, as you say.  She is still held in very high esteem in the UK and she's still as sharp as ever, an amazing woman.

I think it's too late to adopt her, but you could skip over the border to Canada every so often ;)

DaveP

fazer said:
What do americans have?

Supreme Court?

If UK where unsure of the queen what do they do? That scheme looks really good as long as you have a good monarch, which is not guaranteed, and then you are stuck with it for god knows how long. With the constitutional monarchy a bad monarch shouldn't be a big of a problem, just would be there doing very little other than noise. I'm not sure the other option is any good either, I never assume most people must be right, why would they be right while choosing who runs the country? IMO, we are still to find a better way to make decisions.

I'm also watching it on netflix and I'd liked it, I can't judge the story and I won't judge history based on the series.

JS

Latest posts

Back