The first plane I ever flew in.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter purpose

Yes.... I am old.

dc7c.jpg

[quote author="SSLtech"]...We're both probably meeting grey hairs in startling places, I suspect... :wink:

Keef[/quote]

Creak.. moan.

I think I have found something we can ALL agree on. Liberals, Dems, Reps, Neocons...

Keith and Peter are both really old! :wink:

Mike

Not to make you all feel older...well, ok, maybe a little...my grandfather actually designed the interior to that jet, Keith.

:twisted:

Edit: If that's a Caravelle, that is. Looked like it to me at first glance, but perhaps it's not.

[quote author="Nishmaster"]Edit: If that's a Caravelle, that is. Looked like it to me at first glance, but perhaps it's not.[/quote]
Yep... Aerospatiale Caravelle.

Tail halfway up the vertical stabiliser... like they couldn't make up their mind!

-Thanks for making me feel even older... bastard! :twisted:

Keith

[quote author="SSLtech"]Tail halfway up the vertical stabiliser... like they couldn't make up their mind![/quote]

From what I've been told, it was a bit of a design by committee (literally) aircraft, so it's entirely possible that they couldn't.

This is the first aircraft I ever flew in:

(Photo thanks to Drewski2112, BY-NC CC licensed.)

My oldest brother is a helicopter pilot and mechanic (top-rated in both) in California. Fights fires every summer, dusts crops all other times. :grin: He took my other brother, my mom, and I up in one of these for an hour. I'm very afraid of heights, but I was finally able to adjust.

PS - That's not the exact chopper, but the same model (Bell 206).

[quote author="Larrchild"]Not much is prettier than a tri-tail Lockheed Connie.
[/quote]

Tis a thing of beauty sure enough.

Y'all are most fortunate. My first flight was in a Russian turboprop, model unknown, operated (I use the term loosely) by the Czech national airline. We flew from Paris to Prague in 1960, which took many, many hours, including a long layover in the airport at East Berlin while they fixed something. No food in Berlin, either, and they stuck us in an isolated (presumably guarded) part of the airport so we couldn't infect anybody with whatever they were afraid of. The flight was by far the noisiest I have ever taken, and we were mightily miserable by the time we arrived in Prague.

It's been uphill ever since.

Peace,
Paul

> Not much is prettier than a tri-tail Lockheed Connie.

I logged enough hours in those to solo.... before I was six. And more miles in Connies than in all the decades since. Hmmmm, maybe 14,000 Connie miles, 56 miles in a DC-3 when it was still in US Passenger service, and maybe 6,000 miles in 707-like bore-machines.

In fact my last ride was in an authentic 707, and this was so long after the 707 came out I was shocked to see one still in passenger service. It was a charter cattle-car to Orlando, very low-budget trip. All the airframe rivets buzzed. Wear-items like window shades and "food" trays were scavenged from 737 and other same-plan models.

I wish there was enough oil left in the world to run the Connies again.

The QE2 is geting sold-off and parked. I rode 500 miles in her a few months after she came back from the Faulklands.

Hmm...looking at the Wikipedia article on Czech Air Lines, it suggests that they only started buying Ilyushin-18 turboprops in the late 1960s. Since my first flight was in 1960, it may have been in a Bristol Britannia. Or...hrm, maybe not, since they describe the Britannia as having carried the nickname "Whispering Giant" for its quietness. No way could the plane I took be called quiet. "Loudly-Farting Giant" would be more like it.

So maybe Wikipedia is all wet, and I flew in an Ilyushin-18 in 1960.

Peace,
Paul

Nothing as special for me. All I knew of flying in airplanes for the first several years of my life was sitting in a cargo net on either a C-130 or C-141. I didn't get to fly in fancy seats until I was probably about 7. I logged some miles in the military jumbo's though.

Latest posts

Back