the Poor Man 660 support thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:shock: KILLER!!! :thumb:
Inspiring.

A few questions:

What size is your case HxWxD?

What size/brand/type are the Meters?

Can you comment on the switch "Tapers"... like which you used for what & how do you like it after using it?

And last, I noticed that you used a switch for the Ratio/Attack...
How did you set that up & do you feel it gives enough detailed adjustment.

Thanks man & GREAT Job,
Kevin

WoW Bernd!!! :thumb:

How does it sound?
Are the two channels sounding the same?
I mean enough to use in stereo mode?

Do you have any sample yet?

Thanks

Holy crap! Thats a nice build. I cant believe im going to build one myself. Looks pretty darn complicated :green:

great work!
/J

Plowwwww!!!!
Thx Bernd , this motivate me to start mine...despite I had not the tubes...(No good site/link to get them???)
Cheeers :sam: :guinness: :sam:

Thanks mates,
this compressor is worth every hour I´ve spent to built it. It´s not really a difficult but quite complex built. Stuffing the boards was easy, wiring takes some time, mainly because I had neither a wiring guide nor a help thread as you have, but Volker was very helpful and gave a lot of hints, thanks mate.

The rotary switches took me almost two full days, since I haven´t done it before, but in the end everything worked fine. The Time Constant switch with 6 settings is fine, especially when you want to use it as mastering compressor. Soundwise I like the longest attack/release (6) most, because it gives the mix a very smooth and dense character.

As I mentioned before, a VU meter is the best choice and recomended by Rowan. Other meters work as well. I tried several, VU, 100 uA, 250uA and 1mA meters. I finally took the 100uA meters, because they looked and fitted best. Pay attention while fiddling around with various meters, there is fairly high voltage on the meters.

The uraltone switches are nice and quite easy to solder, although there are better (but more expensive) ones. The enclosure is 3U with 300mm depth from: http://www.modushop.biz/ecommerce/cat069_l2.php?n=1
Vented covers for your enclosure are highly recomended, 2U for a stereo unit is a no go. Stereo tracking (two channel linked) is fine now, the values for RV3/RV6, that Rowan gave us, are a good starting point.

I posted a lot of pictures here to give also less experienced builders an impression what it could look like and to learn from. I´m a musician and have only a vague idea of what all the components in there are good for. Well, I did some other tube stuff before, but honestly, I don´t have the faintest idea of all the maths that is behind it. With a bit of patience and care everybody should be able to build this nice piece of gear.

Thanks to Rowan for this superb compressor and to Volker for the splendid pcb layout. It was a real pleasure to beta test this beast (Volker, I love the T-shirt you made for me).
regards
Bernd

[quote author="bernbrue"]Thanks mates,
this compressor is worth every hour I´ve spent to built it. It´s not really a difficult but quite complex built.

Thanks to Rowan for this superb compressor and to Volker for the splendid pcb layout. It was a real pleasure to beta test this beast (Volker, I love the T-shirt you made for me).
regards
Bernd[/quote]

What a sexy looking rendition of my baby
icon_wink.gif
. Hey no T-shirt for me?

Rowan

Dear Mister RedNoise,
where´s your spirit of DIY? It´s very easy to do with Frontpanel Designer (Schaeffer). No big deal at all.

Rowan, I´m honored, and yes, sexy is the right word for it. :grin:
regards
Bernd

superb job as always!

would love to hear drums before and after being squashed if you get the time...

:thumb:

Latest posts

Back