the Poor Man 660 support thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The meter trim pot idea is indeed very nice :guinness:

Also the XLR to bypass board (if not using neutrik) idea rocks :guinness: :guinness:

Impressive build :thumb:

Bernd, did you use Log on the Threshold switch too?

With the Uraltone switches - i had good results with a small piece of those plastic restraints that you use for holding your wires together. it bends right into the slit in the switch and works wonderfull as a stoper.(just get the small ones and cut to legnth)

[quote author="mich"]The meter trim pot idea is indeed very nice :guinness:

Also the XLR to bypass board (if not using neutrik) idea rocks :guinness: :guinness:

Impressive build :thumb:

Bernd, did you use Log on the Threshold switch too?

With the Uraltone switches - i had good results with a small piece of those plastic restraints that you use for holding your wires together. it bends right into the slit in the switch and works wonderfull as a stoper.(just get the small ones and cut to legnth)[/quote]

Hi,
yes, I used log on both, gain and threshold. I did the stopper exactly the same as you did. Almost as if these plastic restraints were made for that :grin: The meter trimpot idea was the result of 7 days headache :cool:

[quote author="[silent:arts]"][quote author="analag"]Hey no T-shirt for me?[/quote]
Rowan, let me know your shirt size.
you will get one for the next project :green:[/quote]

The next project will have five twin triodes for stereo operation
icon_wink.gif
. You know what it is.

analag

[quote author="analag"]
icon_wink.gif
. You know what it is.

analag[/quote]

Volker, I hope you still know my T-shirt size ??!!! Rowan, I really like your subliminal messages :wink:

[quote author="analag"]

icon_wink.gif
. You know what it is.

analag[/quote]

What a tease. Can you reveal an approximate ETA?

[quote author="analag"]The next project will have five twin triodes for stereo operation
icon_wink.gif
. You know what it is.

analag[/quote]
:green: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
just what I need next :grin:

For shits and giggles, here's today's response comparison of Edcor WSM600/10K and WSM600/10K. 200 ohm source, 10K secondary load (direct balanced feed from audio interface, balanced input of audio interface). Very little difference. 1 kHz adjusted to same reference level, in reality the XSM had slightly higher insertion loss.

CHART LINK

In the case of the PM66/670 the difference in which one you choose for the outputs ( GR/CV) is in the wire size and coil resistance, bro. I think the $2.00 extra is a true bang for your buck.

analag

[quote author="analag"]In the case of the PM66/670 the difference in which one you choose for the outputs ( GR/CV) is in the wire size and coil resistance, bro. I think the $2.00 extra is a true bang for your buck.

analag[/quote]

Right; I'm talkin' about the input side just for the feck of it. 'Cause inquiring minds have wanted to know.

I'm really not worried about saving anyone $8 on a stereo build. :wink:

About the outputs, I found the coil resistance of all my XSM's to be higher than my WSM's, which was a surprise. Maybe actually the same wire on a larger bobbin? I'm talkin' as much as 10% higher.

Clearly the paint by numbers crowd need to stick with the plan.

How about inductance, did you measure that? If so how much of a difference is there (XSM10K:600 showed something like 20H across the primary). Personally I never even bothered trying theWSM series after checking the spec sheet.

analag

[quote author="analag"]How about inductance, did you measure that? If so how much of a difference is there (XSM10K:600 showed something like 20H across the primary). Personally I never even bothered trying theWSM series after checking the spec sheet.

analag[/quote]

No inductance meter here, but the frequency chart shows what one would assume to be higher inductance for the XSM input given same test conditions. Appears negligible, especially since we're taking input side in regards to the chart.

Max level in the outputs is clearly not negligible, especially in the side chain amp, and I wouldn't expect to sub the WSM into output duty. The Edcors really are quite amazing $10 transformers. On a frequency chart, they beat the crap out of many pricey vintage equivalents. Which is not to say they necessarily beat them in other regards, and nothing implied in that statement either. The spec sheets? Generic to the series, and not terribly detailed:

WSM Maximum Input: 0.5 watts (RMS)
Frequency Response: 20~30,000 Hz, +/- 0.5 dB
Insertion Loss: 0.5 dB

XSM Maximum Input: 2.5 watts (RMS)
Frequency Response: 20~20,000 Hz, +/- 1 dB
Insertion Loss: 0.5 dB

I'll be giving both input types a listen in circuit at some point.

It sure would be nice if someone would publish detailed data on the Edcors
so one could look for a substitute if one wishes to do so... Any help greatly appreciated .

Bernd, great craft :grin:
As I mentioned before, a VU meter is the best choice and recomended by Rowan. Other meters work as well. I tried several, VU, 100 uA, 250uA and 1mA meters. I finally took the 100uA meters, because they looked and fitted best. Pay attention while fiddling around with various meters, there is fairly high voltage on the meters.

Can you be so nice and tell me info about static current in the first stage? Will be nice to know about current with max GR :grin:

Hi! I'm a newly invited supplier of WIMA, offering a special prices for all members of this cool group... I must say I have never seen them displayed so beautifully! It is great to finally see what these go in to! I can tell by all the posts you are very talented!

Latest posts

Back