the Poor Man 660 support thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, very nice of Laura to stop by... Will be placing an order soon..
:cool:
Though I was contemplating using soviet paper capacitors instead of wima...
Anyone has any experience with those?

Thats great Laura. Wecome :grin: btw , check the www link in your profile I think that one "r" is missing :wink:

[quote author="jackies"]Wow, very nice of Laura to stop by... Will be placing an order soon..
:cool:
Though I was contemplating using soviet paper capacitors instead of wima...
Anyone has any experience with those?[/quote]

Wima has paper caps too ... not sure how they sound but I did want to try them.
The paper Russian caps are supposed to be nice... when can you find them???

[quote author="khstudio"]The paper Russian caps are supposed to be nice... when can you find them???[/quote]

eBay. I just recently bought a lot of different values. They're pretty lovely and have a lush sound that might be just too much if used everywhere.

[quote author="laura"]Hi! I'm a newly invited supplier of WIMA, offering a special prices for all members of this cool group...[/quote]
Hi Laura, this is a nice offer and makes the decision of worldwide available parts for future projects more easy.

now we need the same for europe, australia, africa and asia :green:

[quote author="mikeyB"]Q for analag - after seeing that the BIG Wima's are in the side chain - why is the voltage rating so high :?:[/quote]
this has been discussed before ...

but you have now the chance to show us an easy available 10µF poly substitute with a lesser voltage rating :wink:

Can any body help me buy these heat sinks from www.reichelt.de .I need 2xV PR32/38,1 and 4xV PR32/25,4 .This is a German site so i need some one who can speak German ..

regards

skal1

[quote author="[silent:arts]"][quote author="mikeyB"]Q for analag - after seeing that the BIG Wima's are in the side chain - why is the voltage rating so high :?:[/quote]
this has been discussed before ...

but you have now the chance to show us an easy available 10µF poly substitute with a lesser voltage rating :wink:[/quote]

:oops: Sorry - must have missed that one :oops: ok - i'm sure there are readily available 10u63V - used em in G9 1st stage cathode? Anyhow - it would be possible to parallel up a few lesser values :wink:

yes and yes and if we would have gone that way other members would have asked why those WIMAs doesn't fit :roll:
it is impossible to include all possibilities.

and hey, those WIMAs are the main eye-catcher in the PCB design :green: :green: :green:

[quote author="[silent:arts]"]always remember: in the poor man there are no caps in the audio path[/quote]
:shock: I have yet to see the schematic, so i assumed wimas were...
No PIO caps for side chain!

Well, I'm not sure how important are MKP quality caps in the sidechain :? Anyway I will go with recommended and try to compare after with some cheaper block alternative, say MKS wima series... :wink:

Can someone of the beta testers/builders comment on how the poorman compares to the D-AOC ? More specific....what would be best for on the master bus?

[quote author="radiance"]Can someone of the beta testers/builders comment on how the poorman compares to the D-AOC ? More specific....what would be best for on the master bus?[/quote]

IMO the PM670 seems the best choice for mastering. It has the typical vari mu sound when compressing only a little bit. When driven quite hard it adds a pleasant colour. The signal gets quite dense with a lot of body.

The D-AOC´s character is less obtrusive and less audible, it preserves the overall sound of the signal.

All depends on what you want, PM670 for gentle to beefy compression, D-AOC for very cautious, almost unaudible compression.

regards
Bernd

[quote author="bernbrue"]

The D-AOC´s character is less unobtrusive and less audible, it preserves the overall sound of the signal.

regards
Bernd[/quote]

Do you mean "less obtrusive?" Or "unobtrusive?" As written, you have a double negative which means it IS obtrusive, which contradicts the second half of your sentence... which left me confused about what you were saying.

:wink:

Ich weiss. You're English is excellent. Americans do the same thing all the time.

Thanks so much for all your help with this project (and others).

Sorry for the OT. (And now we know how to characterize these compressors.) :cool:

here is my work in progress - still waiting on the edcor power replacement- even that this one could work too..hey,if they were so kind to send another one without additional charges ,then why not use it.. :grin:

im also posting this (eventhough not finished) to get you guys and girls going!....its nice seeing everybodys work for nice ideas and tricks...like bernd's cool mounting of the meter trim.inspired by his idea,i thought of something even simpler - just drill a small (3mm) hole and glue a small trimer (the one with the screw on it) to the inside of the faceplate. hope you can see it in the clumsy foto..

IMG_1317.jpg

IMG_1319.jpg

IMG_1320.jpg

Back