the Poor Man 660 support thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Lars,
I can read between the lines, that you are very proud of your new build. You´ll have a lot of pleasure with this compressor, that´s for shure. The pilot lamp is the biggest one I´ve ever seen. The colour layout is very aesthetic. Ahmmm, yes, frontpanel layout looks familiar to me :wink: :grin: :grin: :grin:
regards
Bernd

I've just ordered the new White Xmas pm-670 boards and I am starting to look for parts.

Could a 15k dual log pot work for the input and threshold?

If there is enough interest, PEC could make a HQ carbon for much less than the switch alone.

The tracking couldn't be that far from a Daven with 10% resistors... but something here might require tighter tracking.

Just putting it out there-

Very nice build, BTW.

[quote author="babyhead"]Could a 15k dual log pot work for the input and threshold?[/quote]
15k dual log pots will work, but the switches with selected 1% resistors will do much better.

As another switch related question:
I was going to use the 4x 24 rotaries from uraltone(as they are out of the 2 deck) but I'm not sure if i can convert the 4 deck to 2 deck switches. I asked the guy at uraltone and he said it might be possible but wasn't 100% sure as he's never done it before.

Does anyone know if this can be done? Or should I just cough up the money for the elmas?
Thanks
Rob

[quote author="RAM"]I was going to use the 4x 24 rotaries from uraltone(as they are out of the 2 deck) but I'm not sure if i can convert the 4 deck to 2 deck switches.
Does anyone know if this can be done?[/quote]

What do you mean "convert"? Simply don't use two of the decks. If you mean removing the decks, that should be possible for most brands (quite hard to solder if you can't do one deck at a time).

I reckoned thats how it would be done alright. Just wanted to make sure I was right. Thanks Kingston!
Rob

[quote author="Siegfried Meier"]Hey Waldorfcave,

How did you do your front panel? It looks engraved - FPE? If so, can you share the file please?

Thanks!
Sig[/quote]

Yes! It is beautiful!!

I am thinking... wouldn't it be nice to have a variable hipass filter on the sidechain input ? maybe someone has already planned this ?

Hi everyone

what type of relay do i need to buy, for silent arts rely board

and where could i get this from in the uk

regards

skal1

[quote author="[silent:arts]"]Here is a picture of measuring a (naked) Edcor 600/10K
[Z out 15 Ohm, Z in 100K Ohm]:

IMG_5212.jpg
[/quote]
Volker, I measured my Edcors and I have similar results with 600/10k but I have some terrible measuring with 10k/600. I don't want to post that because I don't have pro measuring system. I used mastering Lynx card at 192khz :oops: can you do the same thing you did with 600/10k but this time with 10k/600?

Hi Moby,

nothing wrong here:

IMG_5269.jpg

(Edcor 10K/600, Z out 15 Ohm, Z in 100K Ohm)

check if the windings are connected the right way, there have been some people posting of mistakes (and unconnected windings) ...

Thanks Volker. I will check that.I'm suspicious about my measuring, that's what I asked you to check with Neutrik :wink: I also tried to measure with analog sig. gen and AC voltmeter (10 mhz banwidth) and it looks much better, but with nasty +9db peak at 60khz. Did somebody tried to add some compensation to tame that?

Just a warnings for the beginers if there's some !!!
The two high voltage heatsinks on the psu board are really close. Be carefull when you solder them.
:shock: DON'T MAKE THEM TOUCH EACH OTHER :shock:
Try to keep the maximum space between them (at least about 1mm).

Another bump on the heater PSU :
Unregulated heater PSU is a good idea and is currently used but :
- All the tubes used in this project are old (NOS or not).
- If a 5687 heater fails the current will fall. The resistor will not drop enough tension and the heaters will receive about 1 V more (for a PM670 or 2 V for a PM660 )... This will not kill immediately your tubes but they'll get old really fast.
Regulating the heater PSU (like in the D-AOC) is a lot more secure...
I will...

Anyway, my feeling with this project is that it's a really exiting project... My first PM670 is close to be finished (I'm waiting for the LM350T ) and I can't stand to hear it.

Thanks again Analag, [silent:arts], Bernbrue, TonydB and everyone who worked on this project... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

[quote author="Moby"]Thanks Volker. I will check that.I'm suspicious about my measuring, that's what I asked you to check with Neutrik :wink: I also tried to measure with analog sig. gen and AC voltmeter (10 mhz banwidth) and it looks much better, but with nasty +9db peak at 60khz. Did somebody tried to add some compensation to tame that?[/quote]

for the 600/10k, the input impedance of the PM660 circuit may well be enough to damp that ringing. same goes for the 10k/600 output- the ~10kohm input of a soundcard, etc may be enough to damp the output. if not, you can always put a ~600ohm resistor across the secondary.

the in-circuit sweeps of completed units we've seen haven't shown any ringing, so i wouldn't worry too much.

ed

Cool :wink: I presume that Transformers will work somehow different under the circuit, so let's see a finished unit response. :thumb: But if ringing is still present that will produce strange coloration :oops:

Hey Good People-

I picked up some 10uf Wima MKP 10 rated at 160v at the GT sale. Are these compatible for this build? I did not see a voltage rating in the bom or the silkscreen...

Thanks-

:guinness:

Back