the Poor Man 660 support thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="cannikin"] Anyone who is using the Elma switches:

also position 23 is zero value... right?

[/quote]

I have the same question, I'm assuming that for the input gain the first position (knob al the way to the left) should be 15K and all the way to the right 0R?

Same for the treshold?

Thanks in advance!

I used a fair number of Dale 1/2W on my audio boards which requires some interesting lead bending. They will fit, just not nicely. There are a few spots you really have to watch for shorting against the neighbors. An increase in resistor lead spacing size would be my #1 alteration on any re-orders.

for the large diode in the psu I had to do some modifications too, because the holes were to small.

how do I isolate the heatsinks from the regulators ? the bolt and nut are conducting too...

I cant find any 1n4747 diodes nearby, or the 1n4764. Can i just get regular 1.3w zenerdiodes @ 20v and 100v and substitute? Or do i need these exakt diodes?

Im thinking of this type:
http://www.banzaieffects.com/1-3W-c-474-p-2.html

Thanks!
/J

[quote author="emrr"]An increase in resistor lead spacing size would be my #1 alteration on any re-orders.[/quote]
what are the dimensions of those Dale 1/2W resistors ?
(not for the Poor Man, but good to no for future projects)

[quote author="elektrovolt"]for the large diode in the psu I had to do some modifications too, because the holes were to small[/quote]
which one is "the large" diode ?
mine are all the same size :?

[quote author="Jonkan"]cant find any 1n4747 diodes nearby, or the 1n4764. Can i just get regular 1.3w zenerdiodes @ 20v and 100v and substitute?[/quote]
yes, you can. has been answered before I think ...

cant find any 1n4747 diodes nearby, or the 1n4764. Can i just get regular 1.3w zenerdiodes @ 20v and 100v and substitute?
Any zener rated 1.3W or more will work (if fits)
for example
1n4747=ZY20
1n4764=ZY100
:green:

[quote author="[silent:arts]"][quote author="emrr"]An increase in resistor lead spacing size would be my #1 alteration on any re-orders.[/quote]
what are the dimensions of those Dale 1/2W resistors ?
(not for the Poor Man, but good to no for future projects)
[/quote]

RN65D's on this page:

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/635/631.pdf

Has anybody tried Schotky diodes to rectify the DC control voltage?

We were talkin this up at AES with the Fairchild guy.
He might be using them in the new 670, I forgot.

The original diodes were a pain to source.
In fact, that is one of the few parts that I know nothing about.
I asked Rein about them, but he could not remember.
Diodes were changing quickly back then, there were many more choices by the time the 670 came out, as opposed to the 660.
Germanium?
I do not know.
Nothing on any of the schematics I have seen.
Maybe Alexandervich might know.

Has anybody tried Schotky diodes to rectify the DC control voltage?
That's an interesting question, indeed. 1N4148 is doing the job but it must be that recovery or leakage factor is important in this design. What about FDH333 or similar type (well, not shotky but it's used in 1176) :?:
Can somebody dig about diodes in other clone units?

Anyone? :?

[quote author="Grooveteer"][quote author="cannikin"] Anyone who is using the Elma switches:

also position 23 is zero value... right?

[/quote]

I have the same question, I'm assuming that for the input gain the first position (knob al the way to the left) should be 15K and all the way to the right 0R?

Same for the treshold?

Thanks in advance![/quote]

Hey Goovester,

take a look at Volkers excel for calculating the resistor for 15K attenuator.
It actually tells you which resistor to connect to what position. Thats what I used.

I had the Excel file right in front of me when I was typing :wink:

I'm just not sure if I'm understanding it correctly. To me it looks like turning the knob from left left to right (clockwise) is moving from from pin 3 on the schematic to pin 1. Decreasing the resistance like an attenuator. And it looks like the treshold is the same, but I'd like to be 100% sure before I start soldering.

Hi,
hope this helps you ...

uraltone_rotary_switch.JPG

regards
Bernd

[quote author="Jonkan"]I cant find any 1n4747 diodes nearby, or the 1n4764.
/J[/quote]

I ordered @ Farnell :
1N4747----1467599
1N4764----9398511

Can someone confirm these one are good?

Back