the problems with upgrades

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

O.k.  so had a buddy just pick up a brand new shiny S3 control surface for his pro tools system.  Long story short there was a bunch of soft to instal and a a bunch of things that had to be done via their website.  In the end there was a software separate from pro tools for the mixer, that runs at the same time as pro tools.  The software controls the mixer and allows it to work.  So after much monkeying around He called me because it was not showing up and not working. After 20 minutes with it I found the problem.

A big ol catch 22. Needs a firmware update to work with the software versions installed. In order to firmware update software needs to see the controller.  Software will not see the hardware with shipped firmware.  So your stuck as you can't do anything without the software seeing it first which won't happen without a firmware update.

Avid : A Very intermittent Device

0dbfs said:
Were you able to install the previous versions and then update the firmware or had A Very Intermittent Device pull the download?

That was my first thought except that is dependent on OS version which  is a whole other jump through hoops to go backwards. Unable to do so. The joys of always jumping on the current right as it hits.  :mad:

Seems like they need a "simple" firmware update utility that can reflash the brick'd console one way or another.

Can you run it from another machine with the required OS?

We're looking at that system for an upcoming studio so I'm interested in what kind of hoops you need to jump through.

Thx,
jb

Finally got it all sorted.

IP Address is key. Followed the avid  webpage example which shows it as manual setup of IP addy  in a mac screen shot. Nope wrong answer. use automatic setup and once that got sorted. It all fell into place. This is all things not mentioned in the manual or online support stuff.

Can't say I like the audio side of things as the S3 maxes out at 48K  So if your not using it for that, could easily save cash and get the artist series stuff. Still eucon so resolution is the same.

Back