Yamaha DM2000 v2 issue

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tadejm

Hello!

I am the owner of the "good old" Yamaha DM2000, which I have for over 17 years, I only use it in the studio. It worked without problems until about 2 years ago. But then it started to appear that sometimes in the middle of work it throws it into "Update Mode" or writes "Protocol Error" on the display. But sometimes it just blocks (all meters, all controls, but the sound goes through normally).
After every such error, if I turn it off and turn it back on after a few seconds, it works normally again. But I never know if it will work for one minute, one month or one year :)

Today I opened it (1000 screws LOL) and resoldered the complete CPU board (I assumed some kind of cold-joint around the CPU or memory)...

When I put it back together it worked for about an hour and froze again.
So I didn't fix anything.

Does anyone have any experience with such "ungrateful" issues? If I could locate WHAT the error is, I would fix it 100x already.

BTW, the power supply is stable, the battery is new.

Suggestions are welcome!
Tadej

Attachments

• IMG_20240416_184957.jpg
    IMG_20240416_184957.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Likely due for a re-cap job at that age, but it would be good to monitor all the DC supply voltages while it is acting up.

Likely due for a re-cap job at that age, but it would be good to monitor all the DC supply voltages while it is acting up.
Thanks for your answer!
Do you mean, re-cap power supply or (even if the voltages are correct and stable and caps look ok "on the eye")?

If the power supply DC voltages are correct and have very low ripple (AC content) it means that part isn't broken.
My philosophy is to not fix things that aren't broken. But some people do it to old gear as a preventive measure.

updated news...

Even though it didn't seem to be a PSU problem, I replaced all the capacitors on it.
I also (due to the possibility of dry soldering) re-soldered the entire CPU board, sub-CPU board and DSP board.

When I was already happy that it was working, after a couple of hours the prompt "Waiting data..." started again.

I am slowly running out of ideas…hmm….

I found something on the same topic on another forum... Otherwise for the 02R96 (which is practically the same, only smaller than the DM2000).

https://recording.org/forum/pro-audio-repair-modifications/yamaha-02r96-dsp7-atsc-error-bugs

I still haven't given up. :))

Back