The real attack on Democracy.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mmmmmm, makes me think of the American Hunter dustup from way back in '23.
Which was what? You think the 2A only applies to "state militia" (and maybe don't subscribe to the wildly incorrect notion held by most anti-gun people that somehow the 2A is about hunting)?

Wrong. Current law about militia composition:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/246

Can you admit it?

Or we could recount your retort to my comment about voter ID being no more difficult than getting a DL. You falsely claimed you could get a DL online.

https://dds.georgia.gov/georgia-licenseid/new-licenseid/how-do-i-class-c-license

Note required docs for new DL in your home state in step 3. Can you admit you were wrong?

Keep nit-picking the trivial stuff and ignore the big issues. Whatever.

Hm. It looks like some on the right are attempting to blame the Baltimore bridge collapse on the mayor because... um... well...
Racists called Baltimore Mayor Brandon Scott a ‘DEI mayor.’
DEI — shorthand for diversity, equity and inclusion — has become a weaponized term used by the conservative right. Some use the term on its face value to attack diversity efforts. But others use it more nefariously to mean “Didn’t Earn It.”
Scott is far from a “DEI mayor.” He wasn’t appointed; he was elected by voters in a city with one of the largest Black populations in the country. And Scott defeated several Black candidates to become Baltimore’s 52nd mayor.
Why can't we all just focus on what makes us alike, indeed.

Like most I was born young and liberal, not to mention anti-war but that was certainly influenced by my self interest during viet nam fighting (and I did get drafted). Over time life experience made me more conservative.

Back in the 80s I performed the extreme experiment to subscribe to three daily newspapers (WSJ,NYT, WAPO) for one year to learn their biases. For the decades since I have continued to subscribe and try to read the WSJ, the winner of my 3 way competition. Over the decades I have perceived some change. First the USPS delivery has degraded to the point where daily newspapers can be days late. Another change that I have noticed is that the editorial (articles) have drifted leftward, as has much of the country. While the editorial pages (letters and opinion pieces) appear center-right.

Today's anecdote is about something I read in the errata section. Errata usually describe minor errors like misspelled names. The day after the big President Biden fund raiser in NYC with exPresidents Clinton and Obama, the errata was a whopper. 🤔 The correction hidden in small print in errata section was that the fund raiser article in several editions said that exPresident Obama attended the dead police officers wake and criticized the high rate of crime. The correction observed that it was actually exPresident Trump who attended to slain police officer's wake and offered support to the police.

I will not attempt to ascribe motive to this blatant misrepresentation of reality. Sadly some will read the erroneous version of events and not notice the small errata a day later inside the paper.

Draw your own conclusions.

Caveat Lector

JR

PS The political season is ramping up, engage your BS filters.

Hm. It looks like some on the right are attempting to blame the Baltimore bridge collapse on the mayor because... um... well...
Other right-wing types blamed it on "the Jews."
Some racist, some anti-semitic--isn't that what they call "fair and balanced?"

I'm hearing it's all Pete Buttigieg's fault. Blame Buttigieg, campaign on then vote against infrastructure spending, then pose in front of the checks and brag about the new projects they didn't support.

Racists called Baltimore Mayor Brandon Scott a ‘DEI mayor.’

Why can't we all just focus on what makes us alike, indeed.
Nothing in the linked article mentioned the FSK bridge.

I blame whatever government bureacracy failed to retrofit protective dolphins (no the marine mammals, look it up) at least to the piers closest to the channel. And blame also goes to whomever was responsible for maintaining the Dali's critical systems (or operating them properly while underway).

RIP to the highway workers who didn't get off the bridge in time and didn't recognize the danger. It appears they may have been illegals, so someone should get fired and fined for that.

Nothing in the linked article mentioned the FSK bridge.
The start of the article:
Mayor Brandon Scott has come to expect overt and not-so-overt racism.

The latest example came in the aftermath of Tuesday morning’s Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse. Within hours, Scott said he started to notice social media posts labeling him as a “DEI Mayor.”

GJl_C2GWEAAB47M

What does calling him a "DEI Mayor" have to do with the bridge?
Seems like a great question for the influx of racists calling him a "DEI mayor" in the immediate aftermath of the bridge collapse.

Scott, who has served as mayor of Baltimore since 2020, said he wants to speak out against these attacks to show people how not to be afraid of “bigots”
He's just playing the victim card again.
:rolleyes:
"Again"?

Your ignorance of the subject matter does not reflect poorly on me. After the Sunshine Skyway strike and collapse 40+ years ago, dolphins and other collision avoidance measures have been added to new designs and retrofitted to existing bridges.

You don't have to an expert to understand such things and I don't claim to be one. But I am also not ignorant about the subject. As I've mentioned before, my father spent over 30 years in a state DOT preplanning function (department head for 25 years) and then worked another 20 years at a regional infrastructure planning and design firm mostly on roadway projects.

During my life he was always pointing out various aspects of design and construction as we traveled to visit family or vacation. Being a curious kid I soaked it up and that probably helped push me into an engineering career (though not civil engineering). I won't apologize for knowing something you don't. The solution to your ignorance is not to ridicule those who know, but to expend some effort to learn for yourself.

I am no bridge expert, but I expect that the replacement bridge uses more robust pier/piles(?), if not for substance, for appearances.

That ship was a significant example of the kinetic energy possessed by mass times velocity squared. 🤔

JR

I am no bridge expert, but I expect that the replacement bridge uses more robust pier/piles(?), if not for substance, for appearances.

That ship was a significant example of the kinetic energy possessed by mass times velocity squared. 🤔

JR
They'd get a better bang for their buck by decreasing the speed limit, for an exponential decrease in kinetic energy. If the velocity went from 8 knots to 2 knots approaching the bridge, the energy would decrease by a factor of 16 (which still may not have prevented catastrophe.)

They'd get a better bang for their buck by decreasing the speed limit, for an exponential decrease in kinetic energy. If the velocity went from 8 knots to 2 knots approaching the bridge, the energy would decrease by a factor of 16 (which still may not have prevented catastrophe.)
Your math is strong... while that sounds similar to an old argument for reducing automobile speed limits.

I think politicians should prove a basic understanding of math before writing excessive spending legislation.

JR

Maneuverability is compromised at low speed. Especially in areas with tidal and river currents. The rudder must have adequate flow past it to work. I saw where, despite the accident occurring very near low tide (mostly slack tidal current), there was about a 1 knot current from astern at a relatively nearby instrumented bouy. It might be higher in the relatively narrow channel under the bridge.

Back