The real attack on Democracy.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maneuverability is compromised at low speed. Especially in areas with tidal and river currents. The rudder must have adequate flow past it to work. I saw where, despite the accident occurring very near low tide (mostly slack tidal current), there was about a 1 knot current from astern at a relatively nearby instrumented bouy. It might be higher in the relatively narrow channel under the bridge.
losing power while underway is a biotch. 🤔

JR

Maneuverability is compromised at low speed. Especially in areas with tidal and river currents. The rudder must have adequate flow past it to work. I saw where, despite the accident occurring very near low tide (mostly slack tidal current), there was about a 1 knot current from astern at a relatively nearby instrumented bouy. It might be higher in the relatively narrow channel under the bridge.
Point taken, but there seem to be multiple other options for maneuvering at slow speed, though I have no idea what may be available on large container ships.
https://www.usna.edu/NAOE/_files/do.../AY20_Notes/EN455CourseNotesAY20_Chapter6.pdf
section 6.4

losing power while underway is a biotch. 🤔

JR
Sure seems that way.

Point taken, but there seem to be multiple other options for maneuvering at slow speed, though I have no idea what may be available on large container ships.
You could search like I did. The ship in question has bow thrusters. These are only effective up to a couple of knots and are designed to position the ship for docking and undocking, not maneuvering while under way. They are electrically powered.

Use the search, Doc. There are several good videos by marine engineers who work on similar ships.

This one won't allow linking from outside youtube:

Retired Dutch engineer talks about Dali collision

Sure seems that way.
Which is why there are multiple redundancies in the ship's critical systems. It will be interesting to see what turns up in the investigation.

RFK Jr has an interesting take on this thread's actual topic 🤔

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/01/politics/rfk-jr-cnntv-interview/index.html . After this interview CNN gave his comments a weak fact check push back.

A 3rd party spoiler can upset the normal political calculus. RFK Jr's VP choice is a deep pockets (google money via marriage) democratic fund raiser who contributed to President Biden's 2020 campaign.

Interesting times.

JR

Your whataboutism aside, are you in favor of dark money in politics or against it? You can argue NYT bias (it is an opinion piece, so there's nothing to stop it from being biased), but isn't that really beside the point? Regardless of party, this is extremely harmful for our system of govt. (IMHO) And there are other operators, equally opaque, throwing around equally vast sums of money.

So... dark money pro, or dark money con?

Your whataboutism aside, are you in favor of dark money in politics or against it?
I've stated repeatedly that I do not agree with the Citizens United case.

You can argue NYT bias (it is an opinion piece, so there's nothing to stop it from being biased), but isn't that really beside the point?
Who decides which opinion pieces get published at NYT? Right.

Regardless of party, this is extremely harmful for our system of govt. (IMHO) And there are other operators, equally opaque, throwing around equally vast sums of money.
I agree, but clearly more dark money is aligning behind Biden and the Democrats. This was also true in 2020.

https://www.opensecrets.org/news/2021/03/one-billion-dark-money-2020-electioncycle/

And Hillary received 2x what Trump did from SuperPACs in 2016.

https://www.opensecrets.org/pres16

Why can't the NYT report these facts or print an op-ed that does?

So... dark money pro, or dark money con?
Con. I've been clear about my stance on this issue here. Money is not speech and corporations are neither people nor citizens.

Who decides which opinion pieces get published at NYT?
They also publish Ross Douthat, Bret Stephens, David Brooks, etc. It's not the WSJ op-ed page, I grant you, but it isn't the full-on liberal haven some here like to pretend it is.

If you're con, then maybe you should be more concerned about the conservative court that brought us Citizens United, and the conservative politicians who won't support meaningful change on the matter, and the conservative senators and their dark money supporters who've pretty much guaranteed that SCOTUS won't bend on this matter for the foreseeable future.

That "con" rings pretty hollow from where I'm sitting.

They also publish Ross Douthat, Bret Stephens, David Brooks, etc. It's not the WSJ op-ed page, I grant you, but it isn't the full-on liberal haven some here like to pretend it is.
Opinions vary.

If you're con, then maybe you should be more concerned about the conservative court that brought us Citizens United, and the conservative politicians who won't support meaningful change on the matter, and the conservative senators and their dark money supporters who've pretty much guaranteed that SCOTUS won't bend on this matter for the foreseeable future.
I don't see any Democrats supporting meaningful change, either. They're just as addicted. Who held the majority in both houses in 2010? Why didn't they attempt to pass legislation then?

That "con" rings pretty hollow from where I'm sitting.
Same view from my recliner. Lately I'm more concerned about bigger attacks on free speech led by the left. And ever-increasing government authority and size championed by the same people. And the ceding of sovereign elected government decision-making to unelected organizations like WHO.

Actual topic: Biden's finances. Minor correction in newspaper. Bridge engineering.
Not actual topic: Trump's finances? :unsure:
Indeed web forum discussions especially in the Brewery are not at all disciplined about staying on topic.
==
I noted that the RFK Jr citation was actually "on topic" because that is not the norm for this thread.
===
Saying that ex-President Obama attended the slain policeman's wake (that ex-President Trump actually did) IMO was more than minor errata worthy, and that's why I raised it in this political thread. Gov Hochul tried to attend that wake uninvited and left after only a few minutes because she was confronted and heckled by mourners.

Errata usually involve "minor corrections" like misspelled names, not something that blatantly wrong.

It wasn't even April 1st. ;)

Gov Hochul tried to attend that wake uninvited and left after only a few minutes because she was confronted and heckled by mourners.
Ms. Hochul said that no one had told her to leave the wake. She said her team had asked Officer Diller’s family if she would be welcome to attend.

“I said prayers at the casket and it was very respectful,” she said.

It doesn't say there weren't hecklers though. Maybe there was a contingent from the Westboro Baptist Church on hand.

Ms. Hochul said that no one had told her to leave the wake. She said her team had asked Officer Diller’s family if she would be welcome to attend.
Not according to this.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crim...wake-crowd-applauds-as-she-leaves/ar-BB1kLAs1

"Hochul — who had asked the NYPD, the NYPD Police Benevolent Association, and the Nassau County Police Benevolent Association ahead of time about attending..."

And

"Ahead of the weekend services, Sergeants Benevolent Association President Vincent J. Vallelong also wrote a scathing letter warning members of City Council not to show their faces."

And how disrespectful is it for a politician to do this at a wake? Tonedeaf.

"Sources said Hochul discussed 'policy' with the grieving family. Progressive policies, such as bail reform, have been blamed for Diller’s tragic death."

“I said prayers at the casket and it was very respectful,” she said.
It was disrespectful for her to attend knowing the controversy about her policies. She just wants attention.

It doesn't say there weren't hecklers though. Maybe there was a contingent from the Westboro Baptist Church on hand.
On her way out she was apparently mocked and some applauded her departure after a heated exchange with a family member. She had no business there.

An Iowa woman who sought to boost her husband’s unsuccessful congressional bid in 2020 through a voter fraud scheme was sentenced by a federal judge to four months in prison Monday in a rare case of fraudulent voting.

Republican? You better believe it!

The South Carolina man arrested after barreling his car through the FBI's front gate in Atlanta on Monday has a long history of far-right posts on social media - and he even wrote "I love you" to Donald Trump, according to new research.

Oh. And which party, exactly, claims to be the party of law and order? Oh, right. It's the party that encourages this sort of behavior.

Last edited:
Back