the sound of a power cable

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speedskater said:
I think that what the listener perceives with this cable is that at low levels, the sound is fattened and made more coherent-sounding by the dominant second-harmonic distortion. In addition, the presence of background noise cannot be dismissed, as there is some evidence that introducing small amounts of random noise results in a sound that is preferred by listeners. At higher signal levels, transients are accompanied by bursts of higher harmonics. However, these subside as quickly as they appeared. The overall effect is to render the system sound as being more vivid,
I would have liked these assertions to be corroborated by objective measurements.

Ask him if he knows what kind of cable runs inside the walls.

Silly/stupid/superstitious/crazy people.

[edit]

Oh I see it's a resurrected old thread and I might have probably said the same thing already - or was it in another forum or several.

No measurements needed, no objective thinking or hypothesis of any kind. Just ask them what's in that wall over there. And further how is that three-phase (at least in EU) power wired. WTF do you presume 3 meters of healing crystal encrusted carbon sealed directional silly-cable is going to do in that combo.

I could see a ferrite possibly
making a difference.  Yes things should be designed that it doesn't matter.  But it's also harder to filter out signals that are radiating inside the chassis. Preventing it from getting into the chassis in the first place could be beneficial.

It seems a ferrite core on a power cable would make a bigger difference if, instead of being put on the hifi cable, it were put on the nearest computer cable.

Back