the sound of transformers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="TedF"]given the exact spec of the lams and wire used in an old Souter or Marinaire, It wouldn't be too difficult for a chinese manufacturer to reproduce something very similar[/quote]
I think there are at least two American products on the market right now that have done just this. Not hard to guess who.

[quote author="Flatpicker"][/quote]Good idea and a great post, Dave! BTW, where did you get the beyer? If you said before, I must've missed it.[/quote]

hi flatpicker-

my tape machine is full of beyers, also have had the odd mic pre or two that had beyer mic input transformers. Ive seen them pop up on ebay from time to time as well.

I could spare an MM1100 playback card with a beyer on it, although Im not sure if it could be used for mic input.

dave

[quote author="CJ"]Oh boy.

Should I?

No.[/quote]

Come on... Spill the beans.... What is it? :razz:

Allow me to offer my limited experience. I have a small collection of transformers and an extremely simple method of testing them. Really just to verify they work, since all but a few were found on evilBay.

Mic (usually SM57) -> Transformer -> Headphone amp.

Even with this limited setup, there are very audible differences between these. The obvious difference is the output level, a product of turns ratio, which I compensate for with the amp volume. The next most obvious is frequency response. After that, it's all magic (conjured up with audiophool adjectives). :wink:

Altec/Peerless 15095A
Triad A-69J
Sescom MI-70
Thordarson 00A10
BeyerDynamic TR/BV
Shure A95(?)
Edcor WSM 600:150

** I compiled this list off the top of my head, so its neither correct or complete. **

[quote author="skipwave"]...Mic (usually SM57) -> Transformer -> Headphone amp.

Even with this limited setup, there are very audible differences between these. [/quote]

I should think so!!! If you mismatch an excellent transformer it will sound like garbage. Just 'there being a difference' is not by any stretch a valid test. Attention must be paid to impedance, level etc. otherwise you'll throw the baby out with the bathwater.

A single set of source and load impedances (mic as source, headphone amp as load) is not by any stretch a test of anything other than mic step-up transformers, and at that, depending on the imput impedance and capacitance of the amplifier, even that may not be entirely forgiving.

Tell 'im, CJ!

:wink:

Keith

[quote author="SSLtech"][quote author="skipwave"]...Mic (usually SM57) -> Transformer -> Headphone amp.

Even with this limited setup, there are very audible differences between these. [/quote]

A single set of source and load impedances (mic as source, headphone amp as load) is not by any stretch a test of anything other than mic step-up transformers, and at that, depending on the imput impedance and capacitance of the amplifier, even that may not be entirely forgiving.

Tell 'im, CJ!

:wink:

Keith[/quote]

Yes, CJ. Please do.

All of the trafos are wired as step up (output trafos in reverse). Secondaries unloaded, going to the unbalanced very Hi-Z headphone amp input and ground. Suggestions?

Like I said, the method is crude, but its all I've got. The true test is once I've built a circuit application for which the particular transformer is best suited. Then Soundguy's method is employed.

Anyway, I do enjoy the transformer talk. Carry on.

Ted said:
Now we come to the interesting bit.... At the low frequency end, the performance limits are governed by the core material, the operating level and the winding resistance; the use of mu-metal in the core allows lower frequency operation, but when the core saturates, it does so suddenly, and audibly. more simple iron and the bottom end is smoother.
At high frequencies the situation is more complex, the performance is affected by stray capacitance, winding resistance and mutual inductance, however all these factors are real and measurable, as are the performance deficiencies... which turn out to be the 'character' of the transformer!

I think what Ted said says mountains about what makes different transformers sound different. And yeah, I don't doubt it's all measureable. I'm not sure what parameters we need to measure to get a useful picture of what transformers do yet. Anyone theink THEY do?

I don't get the impression that anyone understands exactly what is going on... has anyone heard a real emulation of a transformer response that was convincing? I haven't.

Yeah it's pretty subtle stuff. So is the line between good and great music, eh?

Yeah it's not "magic". But that doesn't triavialize the sonic differences that are audible to those who listen carefully to the results of audio recorded through different transformers, including CJ, Ted, and others.

The unique saturation characteristics of transformers when subjected to complex audio signals near the upper end of their (mostly) linear signal level range, as well as their behavior at the low end of signal input (where hysteresis kicks in), not to mention the complex characteristics of "distributed capacitance" (boy, don't that reduce complex sh*t to a single term?), are measureable and, by dissection, reverse-engineering, or whatever you wanna call it, reproducible in any country anywhere in the world.

Duh, we all know that, right?

We also know that, like loudspeakers and analog tape recording, transformers introduce their own unique imperfections\colorations in how they respond to complex audio signals.

So...
This could be a GREAT thread, and perhaps a springboard to greater understanding, if everyone here tried to understand, and shared their ideas about what it is that does happen, to complex audio signals when they pass through these unique transforms known as transformers.

I wish I understood better what the d*mn things do. I know they will pass higher levels of certain frequency sine waves than others undistorted, but MY opinion (I should duck now, right?) is that the low level harmonic distortion when subject to a complex waveforms gets a LOT more complicated, and I wish I understood HOW.

Don't Y'ALL (can you tell I live in the South now?) ?

Let's make this a great thread. Ted, CJ, all of you... put your brains to work on this. What the f*ck are those transformers doing when you start pushing them gently?

Hope I'm not alienating folks by writing this. I think it's a really important topic. Maybe y'all have discussed this before I found this place and you're sick of it. If so, just give me an idea of where to search and I will. But it seems like a great topic to explore around here.

Please don't drop it.

I just found out the struture of the "magical" Western Electric 111C, or whatever the famous model number is.
It is a torroid core, of all things, with four seperate coils.
Tape wound of course, not ferrite.
So mechanical geometry can be a factor when it comes to the sound of a transformer.

The lows and highs are important, but most of the info is in the midrange band, where most transformers run pretty flat and do not suffer from too much phase, saturation, or capacitance. Elliminate those variables and what do you have left to play with?

Hi CJ,

You wrote

I just found out the struture of the "magical" Western Electric 111C, or whatever the famous model number is. It is a torroid core, of all things, with four seperate coils. Tape wound of course, not ferrite.
So mechanical geometry can be a factor when it comes to the sound of a transformer.

Thanks much for sharing the information. Do you happen to have or have access to any additional information about the WE transformer?

Like whether the separate sections are themselves subdivided (like the nice Beyer pic) or just one big layered section?

Like the material used in the core "tape"? Si Steel, Nickel, Nickel-steel, mu-metal, plain soft iron or nickel-iron alloy? Fairly thick or thin tape wound for the core?

Maybe estimated wire guages?

Any actual measures of the primary inductance?

I know I may be asking for the moon here, but I think the more we know about all the variables of "the good ones", the more our knowledge grows about how to select, spec, or design a transformer for any particular application.

I hope it's OK if I ask for this sort of information here, and hope this stimulates others to share what they may happen to know, even if none of you happen to have personally have first hand access to a WE or other really revered audio transformer. It does seem like there are a lot of knowledgeable and helpful folks around here who also have an interest in sorting out the complexities of the "simple" audio transformer. I appreciate you all sharing your knowledge and thoughts on this matter.

And Ted,

you said

Now we come to the interesting bit.... At the low frequency end, the performance limits are governed by the core material, the operating level and the winding resistance; the use of mu-metal in the core allows lower frequency operation, but when the core saturates, it does so suddenly, and audibly. more simple iron and the bottom end is smoother.

I think most people here would agree with you that this effect of core saturation and the many differences between various core materials, the overall size and structure of the core (including geometries as CJ called it), all have some role in how transformers transform audio signals, especially how they react when pushed a bit. I certainly agree that the saturation characteristic is an "interesting bit." I wish I understood it better.

I would find it most interesting personally if you would be willing to share any other insights or learnings you may have along the lines of what you know and/or have come to suspect are the effects of the various variables.

I feel like we are all too dependent on what the various engineers at transformer companies know about designing a good sounding transformer, or how they build custom and catalog-standardized designs because "that's the way we make those".

I wonder if at least some of the revered transformers may just be ones somebody who learned a bit about the sonics finally just lucked onto on that particular design, and/or perhaps something designed by someone who may not have passed on what he learned 40 or 50 years ago. So much concentration in the transformer field now seems to be on designing for where the volume is ... power supplies (mostly switching), still some microphone and line transformers, but I don't get the impression (correct me if I'm wrong) that there are many papers being published these days on the subtleties of audio transformer design. How to dodge using them, yeah. Maybe it's proprietary stuff, or maybe just no one really finds a place to brainstorm how to make sonically-pleasing transformers.

And here's my 2 cents worth ... we all know about the overall bass level decreasing as level increases and the transformer starts to saturate the core some. And that the satuaration is a form of soft limiting that generates harmonics. All that is undoubtedly true, even obvious. But we are passing complex waveforms through the transformer, and it seems to me, that when the low frequency level starts driving the core into saturation, that there must be some - probably complex and assymetrical - effect on the simultaneous transmission of the midrange frequencies "riding" on the saturating peaks of the (perhaps) fundamental or harmonically-related frequency of the sound passing through the transformer. Probably generating some second harmonic distortion of the midrange frequencies with a periodicity related to the frequency of the saturating peaks of the overall signal amplitude - or perhaps just the amplitude peaks of certain frequencies where the core is most subject - or perhaps suceptible, to saturation.

In any case, the soft clipping of gracefully saturating transformers is not the same sonically as electronic soft clipping, agreed all?

Thanks for the stimulating discussion.

"Tut, tut"s OK. <grin>

look at some of the PDFs at the cinemag site distortion vs lam type(s) and also vs level.

Cool on the cinemag stuff.

Steel gets shipped to lam stampers, then the lam stamper will anneal the laminations acoording to what the customer wants, so there is some tweaking going on here. How different anneals affect the sound, I don't know. Probably a lot of experimenting that went on.

The WeCo I mentioned was two primaries and two secondaries on the M6 tape wound torroid. I was told all the details but did not write them down.

Peerless used a lamination in one of their moving coil transfromers that had small holes drilled into it. This is a very sought out (read: expensive, silly evilbay prices) transformer that seems to sound better to some. I guess the tiny holes disrupt the magnetic path.

Sometimes famous designers strike out big time. Like Ersel B Harrison's (Peerless engineer) output transformer that had a hi frequency instability problem that was so bad that it used to blow out the tweeters in your speakers!
This might have been the same output that Heathkit used in one of their kits. The kit had a "tweeter saver" switch on it. I guess it took care of the hf problem with a cap or something.

Hi Gus,

Thanks for the Cinemag reference. AN-104 was interesting, as was the "shootout" with it's FFT of what I presume was an input sine wave. I wish testing like this had more traces of harmonic distortion over the cycle of a waveform.

It seems like so much of the testing uses the always-present distortion analyzer which gives little of the information about this aspect of transformers except traces of harmonic distortion over the cycle of a waveform, which doesn't answer the question of what is happening harmonic-distortion-wise in the mid-range when the bass frequencies start saturating the core.

Does anyone know if nickel laminations help or hurt the distortion at high-level - as in the the mu-metal Ted mentioned? I know nickel-rich laminations - especially lots of thin ones - they help at low levels with hysteresis distortion, but I am really more interested what line-level-and-up transformers do when pushed into saturation.

Does anyone know what the role\effect of cobalt is in transformer laminations?

CJ, thanks for reply. Any chance you might get more details from whomever (again) later on the WE toroid and share it?

Thanks all

I will ask on the WE. Sometimes this guy has to pay a hundread bucks for winding info, so.....I will try.

I think it was 1 1/8 strip wound 5/8 ths thick for the core, 7 or 800 turns for the pri's, etc. Probably 29 ga (M6 0.014) barn roof (non grain)

Hi CJ,

Thanks for information on the core and wire guage! :grin:

Do you recall what he said about the thickness of the tape itself (i.e., was it thinner than usual power transformer tape) and whether it was anything more than plain grain aligned silicon-steel like they use for toroid power transformers these days (if he had any way to tell, that is). Or was it even wound of plain soft iron.

And if the windings were sectioned, and if so, how they were sectioned.

I appreciate your willingness to ask. As I said in my last post, I get the impression the benefits of high nickel are at the low signal levels where hysteresis as the core must reverse magnetic polarity is a problem. And maybe, from what Ted posted, high nickel core formulations may make saturation more abrupt like mu metal and perhaps have other negative effects on the pleasant aspects of the soft-clipping and harmonic distortion characteristics of transformers when pushed that "warms" and "smooths" some signals.

Wouldn't it be lovely if we could find a better formula for a "good-sounding" transformer instead of one that is "good-spec'ed" to some engineering maxim about "the right way to make them" ? :roll:

Thanks again
:guinness:

[quote author="mr coffee"]Do you recall what he said about the thickness of the tape itself (i.e., was it thinner than usual power transformer tape) and whether it was anything more than plain grain aligned silicon-steel[/quote]

[quote author="cj"]Probably 29 ga (M6 0.014) barn roof (non grain)[/quote]

re: saturation of different core materials at high levels. you've seen a hysteresis graph before. a totally linear "ideal" core would have a straight line from the origin (lower left corner) to the upper right corner. in real life, all core materials take some energy coming in to get started, so you see the energy out line hugging the x axis for a while. then the core "turns on" and the line lifts off abruptly, eventually straightening out into something roughly linear over a certain range. then, as the saturation point is approached, the line levels off, eventually becoming totally horizontal.

so, the first section where the core has yet to "turn on" and abruptly starts working is the section where you get low level distortion. the middle section is where you get relatively undistorted output proportional to the input. the final section, you get high level saturation distortion.

every core material exhibits these behaviors at a different input level. so, generally, a core material like m6, which has higher low level distortion, but takes longer to saturate, starts its whole curve at a higher input level. what would you guess about a core material like nickel, which has lower low level distortion?

[quote author="mr coffee"]Wouldn't it be lovely if we could find a better formula for a "good-sounding" transformer instead of one that is "good-spec'ed" to some engineering maxim about "the right way to make them" ? [/quote]

"good-sounding" for you != "good-sounding" for everyone. there is plenty of good reading about the objective elements of transformer design around here. keep reading and asking questions.

ed

[quote author="CJ"]Peerless used a lamination in one of their moving coil transfromers that had small holes drilled into it. This is a very sought out (read: expensive, silly evilbay prices) transformer that seems to sound better to some. I guess the tiny holes disrupt the magnetic path.[/quote]

That wouldn't happen to be the 1*5*0*9*5, would it? Though it wasn't originally for moving coil use, that seems to be what the evilbayers want. Of course, if you confirm this the price of current auctions will instantly double! :razz:

That number sounds about right.
The same lam was also used in the repaet coil with a * -x - * type number, which shall remain nameless. Until I get one, that is!

29 ga = M6 Mr. C. Not wire ga.
cj

Hi Ed, CJ and all,

Ed posted CJ's quote again, and when I re-read it, I went "duh". I was thinking the 29 gauge was referring to wire guage. :oops:

Ed wrote:

in real life, all core materials take some energy coming in to get started, so you see the energy out line hugging the x axis for a while. then the core "turns on" and the line lifts off abruptly, eventually straightening out into something roughly linear over a certain range. then, as the saturation point is approached, the line levels off, eventually becoming totally horizontal.

and

every core material exhibits these behaviors at a different input level. so, generally, a core material like m6, which has higher low level distortion, but takes longer to saturate, starts its whole curve at a higher input level. what would you guess about a core material like nickel, which has lower low level distortion?

I would guess it is likely to saturate at a lower level, but I'm actually guessing more from your leading question :grin: I get the impression you are saying the saturation curve is inherently the same, just occurring at different levels, right? :?:

But my question is more along the lines of the complex behavior of core materials - which I get the impression exists, although I'm very open to being corrected on it if I'm wrong here. I was asking about which materials level off fairly abruptly and which materials have more of an extended soft-knee, to borrow a term from Compressor curve lingo? Or are you saying that the only difference between core materials is the point where the knees occur in the curve, that they all have virtually identical shapes, and that either that I am mistaken and misreading what Ted was saying or Ted misunderstands this issue, too, when he wrote:
At the low frequency end, the performance limits are governed by the core material, the operating level and the winding resistance; the use of mu-metal in the core allows lower frequency operation, but when the core saturates, it does so suddenly, and audibly. more simple iron and the bottom end is smoother.
(I added the bold for emphasis) I read this to say that the saturation knee is more abrupt, not just at a lower flux level, with cores made of low hysteresis materials than cores of plain old soft iron. (C'mon, Ted, is that what you meant or did I misinterpret it?) :?:

Thanks for the stimulating discussion!

Latest posts

Back