the sound of transformers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is also a roll off curve for lams. Nickel will roll off later than Microsil.
You can plot inductance vs frequency for a given coil different lams to come up with a visual comparrison. M6 might be good to 1 kcps, Ni to about 4 kcps, .006 good to better, and maybe 0.004 grain good past 0.014 stuff.

Designers have constants that they use in terms of kilogauss per pound and all that stuff. Some people run the cores at 1/2 the kilogauss rating, some run it higher up on the hyst. knee.

I recently addaed this link to the meta:

http://sound.westhost.com/xfmr.htm

cj

Hey, that prompted a vague memory...

On the BBC show "Tomorrow's world" back in about 1979, I remember seeing a demonstration of what was hailed -at the time- to be a revolutionary breakthrough in transformer technology.

They showed transformer losses, then showed what I seem to remember them calling "springy metal" or something. -Basically, they took molten metal (don't know exactly what it was) and streamed it onto a fast-spinning, cooled wheel with a flat circumference.

The result was a super-rapidly-chilled, springy ribbon of metal of a reasonably uniform thickness and width. They demonstrated the ribbon being made, and I remember it being flung across the studio in a long, silvery, shiny ribbon as it flew off the edge of the wheel. (The wheel sort of resembled a knife grinder's wheel.)

Anyhow, they then showed a transformer where the core was made of laminations of this springy metal, and it showed significantly less loss... a very tiny fraction compared to the original, using presumably comparable coils...

They then explained and illustrated the molecular settling differences by showing a large woofer on a table facing upwards, with dozens of ping-pong balls sitting on the cone. They slowly turned up a quiet low-frequency tone, and explained the analogy that the molecules in the metal were like the ping pong balls on the speaker cone, and that the amount of excitation represented by the amplitude of the tone was like the heat energy excitation. The ping-pong balls remained together as a block (representing metal in a solid state) until the tone level reached a certain level, above which the ping pong balls bounced about freely, (representing metal in a liquid state).

As the tone was turned down gradually, the ping pong balls slowly adopted an orderly pattern and settled down. This apparently was supposed to represent the gradual cooling of metal, and the fact that the molecules slowly and reliably assume an orderly 'lattice' sort of structure. Then they turned the tone back up, and the ping pong balls started bouncing around again. This time they suddenly muted the tone, and the ping pong balls landed where they fell, in a much less organised and more random arrangement. This was supposed to represent the violently rapid cooling of the metal, and how the molecules are suddely frozen in a less organised pattern.

The upshot -as I foggily recall it- was that when the metal molecules didn't group into an organised lattice, they were able to transfer the magnetism without the hysteresis issues, but with no ill effects.

I'd more or less forgotten about this until now, Does anyone know anything about this? -I thought that if it was true, all transformers worth a damn would be made this way. -Perhaps it was a flawed test, or a cruel hoax... or maybe I just dreamed it all and I represents some kind of repressed anger at how I was potty-trained...

Keef

Keith I think you are thinking of amorphous metal.

I have a few Lundalls made with this To my ears/brain this type core is more "clean" than 80%

I believe is was developed for power line transformers. Honeywell and http://www.metglas.com/products/page5_1_2.htm make it I think 2826 looks interesting. Reducing any core loss can save power companys lots of money

Chris I relammed some tube microphone transformers with Mu .006 it is a pain.

mr coffee posted "Wouldn't it be lovely if we could find a better formula for a "good-sounding" transformer instead of one that is "good-spec'ed" to some engineering maxim about "the right way to make them"

I think you just have to build alot of them or buy alot of them Then maybe you could kind of know how to ask for what you want. I would think there are transformer designers that could make what someone wants but it might cost a bit of money. Why would someone GIVE away something in mins what might have taken years of work to learn?

It is indeed Amphorous core materials.
Allied signal invented the stuff.
Honeywell now owns them.

The Lundahls Amphorous kick real butt.

A friend has a home HiFi system with 7 Amphorous core transformers
in the signal path. From D/A to speaker voice coil. No caps in the signal path.
The gain stages are vacuum tube.
And that system is the most musical I have heard.
I would go so far and state the most musical in the world.
As Lundahl just started making Amphorous vacuum tube output
stage transformers. Can you say expensive but there is nothing like it.

I am not sure how that translates into the recording world
when we are looking to color an audio signal to enhance it.
But in the monitoring world the all Amphorous signal path
is the ticket.

Those people who say transformers color the sound and sound bad
do not know what the heck they are talking about.
I do not care what it measures, the two test instruments on either
side of my head tell me that it is correct.

Ah, of course!!!

-So when was that stuff invented/discovered/developed? -Back in the '70's? -The name 'amorphous' suddenly means something to me then! (-referring presumably to the 'shapeless' state that the molecules settle into.)

Keith

I noticed this thread seemed to get side-tracked into the "latest and greatest" engineering answer (high tech cores are the answer to everything), and subsequently started to fade.

I think the kind of information CJ shared here is an indicator that very good sounding transformers (embedded in well-designed circuitry) don't require fancy-schmancy high-price-tag core materials. Non-grain aligned can sound VERY good.

I was hoping for a good discussion about what the other variables are. You can tell I think the saturation characteristics and the frequency rolloff as level increases is part of the "sound". I was hoping others would share their ideas.

And BTW, CJ, I have been told by a magnetic circuit designer (transformers are NOT his specialty, but he impressed me as knowing magnetic materials and magnetic circuits and generally what he was talking about in that area) that the purpose of holes in magnetic laminations are to round off the transfer curve as saturation is approached - it is sort of like adding air gaps in E-I cores, but it doesn't contribute to low-level hysteresis effects. The transfer function is a rounder "knee". Made sense to me.

And CJ, thanks for the remarks about different core material roll-offs frequency-wise. If you are inclined to share any more you know along that line I would love to hear it. Do you know of any places I could look for curves of the rolloff versus level? FWIW, I tend to think this is one of the pertinent variables that makes people prefer circuitry using good transformers to transformer-less designs.

Seems like your remark
Why would someone GIVE away something in mins what might have taken years of work to learn?
is a kinda sad comment on the human condition, Gus. Hope you come to a better place sometime soon. I don't think any discussion here would be a one-way street. Maybe people would share what they have learned - or think they have learned - in hopes of us all gaining a better understanding through sharing.

It's what the internet is all about IMHO. Sharing, cross-fertilization.

One thing I'd like to throw out here. Anyone else aware of the psychophysical research that indicates that the cochlea (the inner ear organ) generates lower order harmonics at moderate to high loudness levels?

Anyone else got a hunch this might be why some of those not-so-high-tech cored, but well-designed, transformers still tend to "sound better" than the transformerless-designs often described as "sterile", "clinical", or (the ultimate negative label) "un-musical". Or why there is a minimum listening level at which music sounds "live". I have experimented with various bass compensation schemes and it just ain't all about the ears' bass rolloff. Or reverb fields. IMHO.

Anyone here done any research on what happens to the higher frequency information in an audio signal in the presence of substantial, near-saturation-level lower frequencies (and not just < 100 hz bass frequencies)?

If nothing else, BUMP^ <grin>

[quote author="SSLtech"]Ah, of course!!!

-So when was that stuff invented/discovered/developed? -Back in the '70's? -The name 'amorphous' suddenly means something to me then! (-referring presumably to the 'shapeless' state that the molecules settle into.)

Keith[/quote]

I remember hearing about and getting some samples of Metglas back in the 70's if memory serves. It's an alloy "shot from guns", that is, extruded and cooled so fast that large-scale crystallization can't occur, hence it is glassy.

I believe some varieties have the lowest loss of any high permeability magnetic material, at least at moderate frequencies.

mr coffee

you have 21 posts at the time of this thread,

you hope I come to a beter place soon???? What the heck are you talking about ?

Don't hide looking for free information/hard work under lets all share and have a group hug and because some one questions it, twist and make it sound like someone else has a problem.

Learning the little I know about transformers has cost me a bit of money transformer, books, school.. I think I can safely post I think others here have spent a good deal of money learning. What you want it all for free?

I'm not sure I follow this..?

Yes, a forum like this IS first and foremost about free information: If anything else applied, we would be a soup of mis-information posted by various individuals that thought that they protected their knowledge or interests better by obscuring or smoke-screening facts. We've seen this many times on many forums.

One of the main things that sets this forum apart from many, many other similar internet forums is that we try to give each other the best information we have on the topics at hand. Off course you may have some specific info on specific processes or architectures that you don't want to throw in for one reason or the other, but I don't think this applies to all the general and educative discussions that takes place here.

I know for myself, for sure, that this place is (by far) the single place that I've picked up most information about "the real world" of audio electronics - take e.g. CJ's slaugtherhouse sessions :shock: or PRR's theoretical dissections...

On the other hand, no one will try forcing you to participate with anything - all this info is given with the intention of being educative (or simply helping) by de-mystifying all kinds of areas that has traditionally been obscured by the industry and developers in an attempt to "rule by knowledge" (at least economically). To me, sharing information is a thing with value on it's own - it is not necessarily based on a give-and-take policy being strictly applied.

Too much keeping a strict something-for-something policy in a forum like this would eventually end up forming sort of a closed "club" that shared the esoteric information only internally - and in that case, the world as such wouldn't moove a bit, no matter how good we felt about ourselves and our little subculture...

Jakob E.

Jakob

Is your above post directed to me? You know I share lots of information.

Now Mr Coffee (no real name, no place in the world noted under mr coffee)comes in with 21 posts and and posts

"Gus. Hope you come to a better place sometime soon"

What the ----------------- is that about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

then post like none of us ever thought about BH curves vs freg or the ear/brain.

mr coffe posted
"And CJ, thanks for the remarks about different core material roll-offs frequency-wise. If you are inclined to share any more you know along that line I would love to hear it. Do you know of any places I could look for curves of the rolloff versus level? FWIW, I tend to think this is one of the pertinent variables that makes people prefer circuitry using good transformers to transformer-less designs."

Google and books help!

Gus,

Yeah.. re-read it all, and it makes more sense now - and I didn't mean to imply that you're not sharing info.. :green: ..Very far from indeed - your inputs are very valued - I hope you know that...!

Jakob E.

Latest posts

Back