Thermionic Culture Phoenix master compressor; buy or build?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SIXTYNINER said:
Are u sure ?
have you read the thread about the gain of pro audio devices distributors ?

Yes. And Im totally fine with it. I dont have a bone to pick with this industry. I have seen first hand how hard it is to survive and how many people are barley scraping by. Did you know that most retail stores operate at similiar margins but at MUCH higher volume  with worse service?

I guess if I personally wanted to dislike a certain group of companies it would be Apple, Facebook, and Microsoft. You know, the kinds of companies that do everything in their power to avoid paying their fair share. I dont have anything against a bunch of small companies making boutique hardware for a limited market.

For those still having trouble understanding why pro audio gear is expensive, may I heartily recommend DIY Recording Equipment’s excellent podcast on the issue:

https://www.diyrecordingequipment.com/blogs/podcast/17515060-explain-like-im-5-why-is-pro-audio-gear-so-expensive-podcast-13

On the other points - gear lust does not justify IP infringement (or piracy); and it’s been demonstrated time and time again that you don’t need the very best gear available in order to make great-sounding music.

iampoor1 said:
Yes. And Im totally fine with it. I dont have a bone to pick with this industry. I have seen first hand how hard it is to survive and how many people are barley scraping by. Did you know that most retail stores operate at similiar margins but at MUCH higher volume  with worse service?

I guess if I personally wanted to dislike a certain group of companies it would be Apple, Facebook, and Microsoft. You know, the kinds of companies that do everything in their power to avoid paying their fair share. I dont have anything against a bunch of small companies making boutique hardware for a limited market.

The retail shops are the last ring of the chain , and for sure are who get the so little part of the "cake"
but with lot of costs  ,
(included the fact that they have spend lot of time to : talk , explain, show , demonstrate , the products  directly to customers , that frequently do not buy nothing )

compared to distributors that put in their pockets a good part of the "cake"
only moving pallets and boxes ,
(and frequently sell directly to customers  making unfair competition)

(the "infamous" 35-60 %)

The :  "small" companies that make  boutique hardware for a limited market.
run through distributors
(unfortunately)

SIXTYNINER said:
The retail shops are the last ring of the chain , and for sure are who get the so little part of the "cake"
but with lot of costs  ,
(included the fact that they have spend lot of time to : talk , explain, show , demonstrate , the products  directly to customers , that frequently do not buy nothing )

compared to distributors that put in their pockets a good part of the "cake"
only moving pallets and boxes ,
(and frequently sell directly to customers  making unfair competition)

(the "infamous" 35-60 %)

The :  "small" companies that make  boutique hardware for a limited market.
run through distributors
(unfortunately)
Funny the grass (profit) always looks greener on the other side of the fence... generally the (contract) manufacturer makes the smallest margin and margin increases up the retail chain, while direct internet sales is changing that dynamic.

Large contract manufacturers have been known to buy (aging) western brands, to get a larger share of the pie... but mature distribution channels tend to squeeze out excessive waste (aka profit).

I see little justification for many of these products to even exist, so am not surprised that they have a hard time making a profit.

JR

PS: what is the infamous (35-60 %)....?  Where is the other 5%? 

pucho812 said:
having worked for an audio manufacture and seen how long it can take to do original designs and how much it costs, I can assure outside of uli and others making closes, the margins on unit are usually not so hot.  Parts, chassis, everything costs and those prices are not going down.  Everything costs. Lets also add in workers, healthcare as mandated by the government and so on. Making units is not cheap and that is about the only thing in common it has with DIY. 
Alot of money goes out to get a minimum profit if any but we do it because we love to.

It is hard work for engeneers and so, companies just use them..I still do not understand how the workers love the companies they are working for...even if those companies use them and put them in trash for margin reason. The real developers of comp and so are almost all dead. Would you think warm audio give anything to ua for copying the 1176... nah...why could stam or hairball make this, and not me ? 

If he could do what he wants to do he wouldn't be posting about it. He would be making it.

Latest posts

Back