TL Audio EQ-2 modification

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toumpouris

Hello,

I just bought the EQ2.
Apart from changing the tubes, I would like to ask if anyone has any recommendations or experience that would like to share on changing any components to better ones like opamps etc so that the unit performs better.

Thanks,
Alexis

TLA  say their EQ2 has:
"General Electric US military specification valves and high retention gold plated ceramic valve bases"

Why would you like to change those?
If it was the "Ivory" series, I could understand.  They put cheap Russian valves in those.
But their Black/Dark Blue series is quite decent.

If you absolutely want to mod, check this out:

http://www.voodoo-labs.com/index/gearslutz_data/hhbmods.htm

The EQ2 is a decent NE5532-based eq, followed by a simple ECC83 tube stage and a NE5532 output stage.

Not much to upgrade here, I think - other than if you want to do a full rebuild of some sort, like bypassing the glued-on tube stages entirely.

Jakob E.

Thanks for the reply guys!

I used to own a fat track before where the previous owner changed a lot of opamps and other stuff with better ones, as well as the tubes. I have to say that the fat track sounded much more open and wide, and fat. That's why I was wondering if I could change some stuff. Technically the EQ2 should sound better but to my ears its not.
So I thought the EQ2 is built on same components, but it seems not.

I will let you know exactly what tubes are in it once I open it up for cleaning as I have some scratchy knobs and buttons.

Thanks,
Alexis

So!

The tubes inside are all Sovtek 12ax7WA, definitely changing those.

Based on the schematics, attached I would really appreciate some help if possible.

Which V positions are for the EQ and which for the output driver?
There should be 2 tubes for output and 4 for the EQ,  1 for each eq band. Also if I can know which V are for low frequency band, low mid etc would be great!

I want to put different tubes for EQ and output.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• EQ-2_Schemetics_99.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 60
I am talking about the tube positions on the board. I will not change anything else,just the tubes.

Thanks

Hi again!

I finally managed to take pictures of the inside of the EQ.

Hope this helps now!

Which 4 are for the EQ path and which 2 for the input or output driver?

Thanks

Attachments

• All tubes.JPG
    All tubes.JPG
    996.9 KB · Views: 57
I don't think there is any "eq" or  "output drive" tubes: As said earlier, the eq is built on NE5532's - and the tubes are only "glued on for marketing" (i.e. the unit could probably work better without them).

Changing tubes may very well do some sort of a difference - but don't expect this circuit to sound like a real tube-eq. It is not.

Jakob E.

Does it even need the tubes? My cheaper TLA EQs  (Indigo series?) pass audio immediately after being turned on, long before the tubes are heated up... I neve bothered to figure out what the tubes are really doing in there other than generating heat.

Michael

Hi there,

May not be anyone posting in this thread anymore but here goes. I have a TLA EQ 2 Grey Series. It works very well and for my applications (Amateur Radio) it is a beautiful sounding equaliser. I want to remove the faceplate and have it repainted and reprinted artwork. Problem is, I cannot get the knobs off. Does anyone know how on Earth they come off? If they are just pull off knobs, then some idiot who owned it before me has clearly glued them on.

Thanks
Adam, Sydney Australia

If they are not push on and don't have a side screw they are collet knobs, in that case you have to remove the coloured cap and there is an hex nut or a special kind of fixing with two notches, that requires a special tool but you can diy one by hacking a flat head screwdriver

Ahhh,

Your are a gentleman and a scholar, thank you so much for you response. Ill check that out, I am sure you are right.

Adam

And YES, they most certainly are. They have a flat head screw under each. Wonderful.

My sincere thanks,
Adam

Should be something like these ones:

1649393428235.jpeg

F0225697-01

Back