Transformer DIY "1st try"

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="Steffen"]

hehe :) ....can´t wait to hold a working homemade 60K:600 tranni in our dirty hands ...and connect it to the anodes of 2 crappy old RCA tubes, workin´in parallel...hehe :-D

steff[/quote]

OMG... this would be 9800 turns each primary on this typ of core....I guess we need a thread to discuss winding structures...sectionising etc... :green:

steff

That explains those noises I heard across the border... winding machine rumble followed by opening of bottles... :thumb:

Nice work, and thanks from me as well for the multimeter-pic, I hadn't realized they do L & C for decent values as well. I have some old L/C-meters that stop at 2nF & 1mH, not that convenient. The 2% accuracy of the DMM is OK and far better than what I would have had when doing range-extending tricks with my old crap meters.

Peter

[quote author="tubejay"]Man...I have a LOT to learn...[/quote]Me too - especially about finding stuff on
ebayLogo.gif

[quote author="cjenrick"]Oh crap!
Did you leave a gap between the foil ends![/quote]

easy going..it´s only kinda plastic foil :)
this was a test to check out the maschine....but the trannie seems to work fine so I think we we will use em for something... :)
I have to order some self-adhesive copperfoil and check which kinda plastic foil for separating the layers/sections... any ideas?

steff

Well done, you two!

A serious piece of DIY!

Here in Denmark we have a company that sells all sorts of components and materials for transformer winding:

http://www.trafomo.com/

They have all sorts of core, bobbin, and wire materials...

I find this recent development in DIY extremely interesting, as I've just come across this piece of heavy iron on a local flea market - at a little less than 30?:

winder.jpg

..nothing fancy - but it should do the job..

Jakob E.

I have a friend who has been teaching himself how to wind transformers for the past year (we are both old and slow). He made a simple machine with a small motor turning about 100rpm. It just has a shaft for the bobbin abd he feeds it by hand. He started out practicing with wire from old tv deflection coils untill he sort of got the hang of it.

He bought magnet wire from a local motor rewinding shop. Use laminations from old transformers he salvaged. Really cheap, thin masking tape is used as insulation between layers. He can now turn out some nice sounding iron.

A great DIY tool my friend made is an output transformer with lots of taps, I think one each section, so when he tries different tubes he can get a match for any configuration.

I envy you pioneers of DIY.

Wow,

You guys are too cool...that machine looks awesome! Better than my Meccano-and-click-counter efforts :wink:

Can't wait to see more!!

:thumb:

Mark

Pardon my ignorance again. I want to learn this stuff.

>Measurements:
low frequency response is -3dB@4,7Hz with 50ohm source impedance,-3dB@22Hz with 600ohm source impendance
hi frequency response is flat up to 300 KHz, peaks around 5dB@436KHz
measurements with 10kOhm load

How do you measure this? What equipment gear are you using?

Heres a little article on power transformers.
You guys may have already seen it but here it is:

http://www.nashaudio.com

click on DIY transformers

you guys ROCK period!

is there anyone who knows where i can get a machine to make frontplates?

i never will get to winding my own trannies, but who knows i could turn up with a few goodlooking boxes?

Cheers

tdB

Tony,

Here in Brazil this guy is selling a CNC for about US$750,00 brand new!!!

http://www.iorobotics.com/cncbot.html

I'm getting one soon! Doesn't look bad huh?

cheers!
Fabio

Jakob, that machine unspools the wire the old fashion way. Like a bait casting reel. Today, the spools are stacked vertically, and the wire peels off the spool from the top, so the spool does not move.
If you try to use todays wire, which is spooled on in the later mentioned fashion, you might get kinks every ten turns. I do not know if you can buy magnet wire the de-spools like the old ones.

Nomex is a good insulator, but its expensive.
You can get it 1 mil thick, which could be used for interlayer insulation.
I am currently looking for the original UTC "rice paper".
cj

[quote author="owel"]Pardon my ignorance again. I want to learn this stuff.

>Measurements:
low frequency response is -3dB@4,7Hz with 50ohm source impedance,-3dB@22Hz with 600ohm source impendance
hi frequency response is flat up to 300 KHz, peaks around 5dB@436KHz
measurements with 10kOhm load

How do you measure this? What equipment gear are you using?[/quote]

we used a fluke true rms multimeter with dB option and a signal generator with 50ohm/600ohm switchable output impedance. above 100kHz we used a scope....at my place I use an old PHILIPS FET AC voltmeter....measures up to 1Mhz if I remember right...have to look for the specs when I come home....
steff

[quote author="gyraf"]Well done, you two!

A serious piece of DIY!

Here in Denmark we have a company that sells all sorts of components and materials for transformer winding:

http://www.trafomo.com/

They have all sorts of core, bobbin, and wire materials...

I find this recent development in DIY extremely interesting, as I've just come across this piece of heavy iron on a local flea market - at a little less than 30?:

winder.jpg

..nothing fancy - but it should do the job..

Jakob E.[/quote]

30? ....too cool :-D...congrats....!!!!

steff

[quote author="Bauman"]NICE!! Please try some API output transformer!!!![/quote]

quadfilar winding right? someone got specs?

steff

I have the Cjenrick post, but it´s in the old RO form, so I guess I can´t post as is. But I can always email it to you. Please, PM.

BTW
Nicolas was working on the old DIY condenser capsule RO thread, and he removed all the RO "look". I´ve seen a preliminary version, and he will be posting it soon.

I hope he can do it with other threads also...

It is possible to roll your own resistors and capacitors you know. Imagine makeing all the components in a preamp with the exception of the tubes, pots, sockets and other hardware. That's just to hardcore, can't go there, gives me a migrain just thinking about it.
Kelley

Latest posts

Back