Transformer lists for projects.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So it looks like the Lamination is the hardest to source? I can try and find sources for you (I use to be a buyer in the military electronics industry).

Let me know.

Also CJ, I got my A-24s in and I am in the process of cleaning the terminals.

I got 4. One of them has the UTC A-24 riveted plate and is a dark grey. The others have no designation plate but seem to have the same numbers ink-stamped which seem to be drawing numbers. Those are same as on the dark grey one.

The resistance on the terminals are very close to each other for component to component and they are exactly the same size etc.
I have no continuety on some of the terminals. Is that normal? It would seem so as they are all consistent with that.

It looks like they are all A-24s but why some are not marked? Made for third party maybe?

Jim

Different vintage UTC's will have differen resistances.

Here is a site with some xfmr info. Click on the logos.

http://www.vacuumbrain.com/docs/iron.html

I would like to see a list of ribbon mic trafo's I know of the sowter and lundahl's what about the cinemag and others ...not so well known...i need cheap....:grin: for experimental purposes..even trafo used backwards or something....

Also****
what would be suitable I/O and power trafo's for the:
Federal AM864/u
specs are 600/10,000...10,000/600 ....would these be similar to la2a iron listed in here ?
there seems to be a lot of projects that require 600/10,000 10,000/600.
what seperates these ?trafo loading specs?

thanks
ts

malotky3_0045.jpg

v282a_schematic.jpg

here is a nice tranformer used as output trafo for v282a

You know what would be pure gold, is a couple options for output transformers for the yamaha PM1000.

1:2 would be the best.

Anybody?

are the neutrik useful for something? which models?

I've used these very successfully, the good ones are the Mu-Metal shielded NTM 1 (mic) & NTL 4 (line).

For data, go to www.neutrik.com , then switch to the Neutrik USA site, then search for "ntm" or "ntl".

Regards
Peter

I used an NTM 4 in a Neve pre from Joe Malone's page, long gone to a friend.

Used the NTL 1's to isolate monitors to get rid of a problematic hum problem, & I've seen them used for a DI, tho' I never actually heard that unit.

I also used an NTM 4 in a Focusrong mic pre which sounded good on the bench but never made it out of my projects box.

Also used the NTM 4 in a Neve 283 mic pre project.

Peter

hi,
i have a question about the G1176 posted power transformer.
in the intial post of this thread it lists: Digikey TE62045-ND; Digikey TE62055-ND
these are both 2X22V transformers and in the "All things G1176" thread
jakob says that 2X22V is too little, it must be 2X24V.
has anyone tried the listed 2X22V transformers (and do they work or
have you had any problems with them)?
any comments would be greatly appreciated.
-grant

Hi there,

fwiw, I've just made 3 pre's based on API 312 using ex-Neve Willesden 10014/Belclere20014(Same, I think) 1:5+5 wired with only 1 sec winding, and 1 with Marinaire 31267, wired backward and only 1 winding each on pri/sec as suggested by JLM Auido for 1272. Un-balanced output, with no output trannies, just an electrolytic cap, since cable runs are short, and my un-balanced Helioses don't seem to suffer from being un-balanced!
Both sound amazing, with an overall similarity. Marinaire version is slightly cleaner top end, and a tiny bit more detailed. Not much in it. Maybe it's an unfair comparison since the ratios are different, so op-amp is working harder at same gain. I also have no idea if any Zobel(?) network is required to correct any ringing. I certainly can't hear any . . .
Contrary to popular belief, I firmly believe that it is not just the "iron" that counts in these, since everybody's overiding impression(including mine!) is that they sound like API's, and not Neves . . . maybe the circuit topolgy makes it sound like API? Can't wait to try some other Op-amps(not just original API and Fabio;s 2@5@2@0BC's( not much between them imho), and see if I/anyone can hear any difference. I have a 2151 copy (5534 with Transistor output stage lashed on) to try as an alternative. Most people can't tell the difference between this and a 2520 in a 553! Confusing . . . .
I also tried sowter 150:150:150:150(I've forgotten no.) as output tranny. I tried 600:600, and 150:600. Also 150:150, single winding, and parrallel. They sounded great in every combination, but slightly different. i prefered 600:600, but this was not as good as unbalanced with no tranny. Sadly, i haven;t got a spare 4804/2503, or Sowter equivalent to hand to compare. Also, I don't really need any more gain for my particular application( Drums/GtrAmp/BassAmp/DI/Hot valve mic)

Goddamn, these Puppies Rock! Just found 3 more trannies to use . . . 2 more Marinaire, and one more Willesden. I know someone who has HUNDREDS of (i.c.) ex-Neve cards, with loadsa similar trannies(Belclere/Willesden) i know they ain't exactly flavour of the month, but they sound pretty damned good to me!

ANdyP

p.s. - I have been getting some instability problems with 2@5@2@0Bc's. occasional RF, and oscillation. CAn anyone suggest a cure?[/img]

can anybody suggest a vintage output transformer for the gyraf version of the pultec eqp1 tube eq (with srpp gain stage)?

On the schematics on jacob's site, there is a 2:1 lundahl suggested, but I would like to get something old to go with the UTC A20, that I would like to use for the input.

Is there a different UTC model that will work for this specific output or anything from triad or anything from stancor? Thanks!!

It would be nice as someone mentioned earlier for this thread to include transformer options for mic bodies.

After listening to Duka's four mic's via his posted mp3 and then listening to the shootout on "Cinemag's website between a Neumann and their 2461NiCo transformer in identical mics, it convinced me to build two G7's with different transformers rather than two different mics.

I was thinking about building a G7 and C800g. However, in Duka's mp3, I preferred the G7 and didn't think the C800g was that different. In the Cinemag shootout, the transformer seemed to make more of a difference than the totally different mics in Duka's mp3.

So I think I am going to build two G7's. One with a Lundahl 1538XL and one with the Cinemag 2461NiCo. It seems to me that the different transformers will provide the different flavors I am looking for better than a totally different mic schemo.

The Lundahl 1538XL is a little larger than the 1538 but has more headroom and wider frequency response and it costs only a few dollars more. Not sure if it was available when Gyraf designed the G7.

Also, although Royer used a direct box type transformer in his mod, Cinemag just recommended to use a humbucking 2480 tranformer.

It seems Cinemag, Lundahl, Sowter and Jensen are the only widely available transformers suitable for the mic output job. And by widely available I don't mean DigiKey. You have to go to their website and either order direct or go to their local distributor.

Truthfully, I haven't even seen many mic output transformer models mentioned on the board. Maybe this should be a post unto itself.

For example, someone mentioned a Sowter 4935 I think as good for mics but I couldn't find that model on the US distributors website.

The manufacturers websites do have precise measurements so you can tell if the transformer will fit in your mic body. And the meta on transformers is good but not much there on mic output transformers.

There are some pretty in depth discussions about tubes for mics and capsules for mics but considering the effect of transformers on the sound, I think more discussion of mic output transformers would be good.

Maybe this is because tubes are cheaper to compare by trial and error but capsules certainly are not.

Admittedly, there has been some good discussion of matching transformer outputs and the mic circuits (which I still have to figure out) but the circuits seem to be pretty forgiving regarding whether you select a 5:1 or a 10:1 turns ratio.

Finally, althought I am calling these Mic Output Transformers, only one website I looked at called them that. Lundahl for example refers to the 1538 and 1538XL as Mic Input Transformers. OK turn them around they become output transformers but is that always true and why don't they say that?

And the Jensen recommended by Royer is listed as a DI box transformer. Even the Jensen website recommends a different one of their transformers for tube mic use (which I assume would include the Royer mod) so why in the world did Royer choose a DI box transformer? Cost? doesnt' seem so, Why not a mic input transformer like the mfg's themselves recommend?

I hope this post will prompt some discussion that will benefit others pondering the same things I have been struggling with. This is a fairly confusing area. I have found the mfg's to be pretty helpful regarding their products.

[quote author="CJ"]Cool idea!
You should mention that the Pultec is the Gyraff ver. w/o the innerstage x-former.

Outputs for the LA2a and Pultec could also be Triad HS-50, Triad HS-52, Peerless S-217-D, Peerless S-448-Q, UTC A-25, UTC A-26, UTC-HA-113, UTC HA-114, UTC HA-133, Sowter 8940, Stancor 3250, Stancor 3315, Thordarson 25S12, Thordarson 24S114,

theres a ton more Sowters Jensens and Lundahls, but getting lazy.[/quote]

In case youre not lazy anymore :green: Do you know of any lundahl ins and outs for the LA2a? I remember there was a thread where bloo and someone where studying plots of LA2a's with different transformers, including Lundahls, but the lingo in that thread was so damn streat smart I couldn't understand a thing :oops:

Are there any good lundahls then??

regards,
hej

Back