Trident a range pre

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IF you can get a readable schematic of the 2038 module

that would be better than the 1038.

one Zutt or Cinemag, an attenuator, & three transistors is it.

four more transistors and a pot for the output and yer there.

oh, a 45-48 volt rail for the TO-39s and another 24-30 volt rail
for the TO-92s.

ya might hafta substitute for the 40361, 40362, BC 416 and 413s

whuts the magic though?  is it the layout?  it's simple and i've thought
about it, but never done it. 

The eq would be a BEAR, unless you do it like the newest Trident release,
then it's a smaller furry mammal.

Wow that sounds cool,I havin herd one but I know Someone who was there at start....
got to get some info from him??

I wouldn't mind seeing a clear copy of the channel schematic too. There was one up years ago, but it was too low res to make out many values.

I did a session at a studio that had a pair of these original A Range pres in a rack. It was years ago but the sounded great on the vocal tracks as I recall. The schematic does not look too difficult and someone must have a clear copy. It would be great to see this thing available for DIY.

Here is a link to a Trident A-range discussion on Gearslutz. There is some good historical info in this thread.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/80842-trident-range.html

Is there someone working on this? I had some guess work and I think I have the most of the component values, so probably I will start the implementation in 2 weeks.

A forummember from the UK is busy doing this, but I know he's a busy guy, I wouldn't be surprised this will become a long-term project for him. I'll send him an email to notify him about this thread.

Hi Chaps,

Indeed i have been working on it, in fact the prototype PCB is on my desk working and sounds HUGE!

I was not going to say any thing just yet but we will have PCB's / and full kits available next month.

Best
Pete

Is there any specific info needed on this? Or do you already have a original pre to examine?
Console #13 is for sale in town here. It sounds and looks amazing.

dmp said:
Is there any specific info needed on this? Or do you already have a original pre to examine?
Console #13 is for sale in town here. It sounds and looks amazing.

wow, now that would be nice, to have a real one on the desk, I assume they are selling the desk complete? in Interest how much?

As far as I'm concerned I have all the info needed, from that we have a working PCB prototype, just waiting for the V2 prototype to turn up and we will test that and we are good to go.

We have stuck to the original desigin for the MIC AMP, also using the A Range Line Amp circuit for gain makeup also driving the output TX.

Our PCB has the very same Trident onboard regulation too for the various diferent DC volts, so its high quality and true to the original.

Pete

which transistsors are you using for the TO-39s?

the 1038 was MST 1047/1061

2038 WAS RCA  40631/40632

adding the transformer is a good thing.

Hey QUEEFBAG

yes im using 2N3019/2N4036, as as far as i can tell the MST 1047/1061 are unavailable?

Pete

never seen one of the MST transistors.

i know the resistor values around the MST in the 1038
are different than the ones in the 2038 with the RCA transistors.

in non critical spots i have replaced the 4063X with 2n 2219A & 2905A
with very good results.  hadn't thought of the 3019

I have used the 3019 quite a bit so it was the first thing i thought of trying, I was not expecting it to work as well it did on first power up..

Ill look into the 2219a / 2905a as a matter of interest.

id be interested to know difference between the 1038 and 2038 resistor values?

Best
Pete

Grand Master Audio said:
Hi Chaps,

Indeed i have been working on it, in fact the prototype PCB is on my desk working and sounds HUGE!

I was not going to say any thing just yet but we will have PCB's / and full kits available next month.

Best
Pete

So by next month you mean today right? How about just for me?

All jokes aside, I am interested in this project. I don't know what it is. I have never used a trident anything, but I have always been interested in the Trident A range.

ok as i look it's not just a couple resistors.

for the output amp...

C-8 is changed to 4.7uf....ignore that, 10uf in 1038 is fine if not better

there is no C-11 across R-12, and no RV-1.  C-9 connects straight to the junction of Q-5 & R-12.
the other side of C-9 goes to a 2.2k resistor, then audio ground   (C-9 is 220uf in the ones here)

there is no RV-2.  diodes go straight to junction of Q-6 collector & Q-7 base
what is C-10 in yours is 22pf in these.  

TO-92 are all the same, TO-39s of course...

and if anyone has a readable copy of the 2038...i don't, and would love one.

and for those trying for years to read the 2038 that's online, those component numbers are
all different.  don't apply these numbers to that schematic

Back