Trying to kludge an eqp1 filter into a Neve o/p stage.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Flinn

Hello I'm trying to finish a project I started a long  time ago which is an eqp1a using Franks enhanced pultec boards.  This has been sat on the shelf for a while, mainly because I was procrastinating over what to do about the make up amp.  I was digging around & found 2 neve BA283 output stage only boards from Fabio that I have had years.  I figure I could use them because I have most of the bits lying around.

I was going to use a pair of Gardeners 600:600 transformers in the i/p.  My question is do I need a transformer between the filter & make up amp.  I have included a PDF of Fabios board.    Is the 10k pot on the input too low & would it load the filter in a nasty way,  or actually needed at all ? 

Attachments

• neveout_sch.pdf
    18.6 KB · Views: 15
Rob Flinn said:
do I need a transformer between the filter & make up amp.
no

Rob Flinn said:
Is the 10k pot on the input too low & would it load the filter in a nasty way,  or actually needed at all?
THIS page might be of interest to you. Steffen used a discrete makeup stage which appears to have a somewhat similar input impedance as your BA283. On his schematic he wrote that he used a 50k pot because he “found out the hi boost sounds sweeter when the eq-network is less loaded”. It should also work well without the pot.

Back