Tube base extender

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zamproject

Hey

I'm looking for tube base/plug for 7pin, B7G, easy to find for octal or noval socket but so far my search return nothing for 7 pin???
In case it don't exist, what kind of wire/pin is recommended, usual tube pin material ? if I decide to solve this with a PCB assembly.

Cheers
Zam

Not quite clear what you're looking for -something to raise a b7g tube higher above its socket? Never seen something like that, though some of the shielded sockets seem to sit a bit higher..

If it's just a regular socket, fleabay or BTB in germany has them. Sometimes they're called pico7 or miniature 7 or something like that. Probably someone in France stocks them, google gives me precious little hits from France though..

Cheers, V

I mean something like this, but in 7 pin version
Upper socket is not mandatory, but lower pin is.
Need to be an openable version, the use case is for tube substitution, need to be able to fit few component inside...
1703272717206.jpeg

Thanks for the find but not sure that's what I'm looking for unfortunately :/
https://www.die-wuestens.de/dindex.htm?/fassungen.htm
I think I'll have to go with pcb assembly which include pin terminal arranged for B7G.

Any advice about pin I can use ? probably something like test point pin...
Find a drawing, 45° distribution and 0.375 in diameter....I'll measure the pin diameter on some B7G tube I have.

Cheers
Zam

Yes I had a look at the pic on the website, but now realise the link I add previously don't show the pic...retro...
The bottom part have the same footprint as a socket, and the socket I'll use have a shield holder, it won't fit
Thanks for your help @Disco Volante !

Never seen that in 7 pin, only octal and noval like you said.

In case it don't exist, what kind of wire/pin is recommended, usual tube pin material ? if I decide to solve this with a PCB assembly.

I guess solid core wire will be too flexible for the male part.
Maybe you scavenge the Pins of a bad 7 pin tube to use

Also you might use some small nails, you have to be sure that they are exactly the same thickness of the pins, or a little (very tiny) bit less, in order for them don't mess with the contacts of the receptacle socket. You also would need to round off the tip of the nail

For the Female side you can just use a 7pin tube socket

It seems impossible to find a 7 pin miniature plug. There used to be a lot of them (they were used in tube radios, for example, for pluggable cables for equalizer preset keys or for stereo decoders), but they have disappeared. I finally found a supplier with a completely outdated website that offers such plugs. Unfortunately I didn't receive a response to my (Enail) query, but maybe you'll have better luck if you call. Scroll down on its list to "7 pin minature plug".

https://leedsradio.com/parts-sockets.html
Nick Salis

Thank you all for time and search.
Unfortunately none of what I see fit my needs.
I'll design my own...

Cheers
Zam

I'll design my own...

Cheers
Zam
[I'll design my own] -- As I have read through this thread about what it is that you are looking for and the responses from members offering you their suggestions with nothing that matches and/or resembles what you are looking for, I was wondering if you could indulge me just a bit and perhaps explain/write-out in more careful detail what it is exactly that you are needing. Is that possible?

Perhaps you could also include some mechanical dimensions, such as: base/pin spacing, pin diameters, pin lengths, overall height, material thickness, etc. I mention this because a large part of my design engineering background has a lot to do with "knowing who makes what" in the area of -- miscellaneous electronic hardware components -- similar to what member "shabtek" had offered to you (see image below):

1703696017221.png

So.....if I had a better understanding of what it is exactly that you are attempting to achieve, I -- may -- be able to design something that will work for you, in a similar manner as I have recently designed this device shown below for another member of this forum for one of their projects:

1703696419601.png
1703696589259.png

It wouldn't be any big deal for me to design some kind of small doodad for you.....>> IF << I was only able to better understand what it is that you are looking to have. Sound like a plan???

Here is an example of some of the types of PCB receptacle-pins that I am familiar with:

1703696869938.png

1703697035442.png
1703697163712.png

From what I am able to understand with what I have read in this thread so far, what I need from you is a description of what it is that you are looking for and a sketch of the type of pin that you need with dimensions something like this: (Meaning.....the type of pin that you would like to use "may" already exist, but without my knowing what the mechanical dimensions are for what you need, then I am unable to know what to look for)!!!

1703697551658.png

And.....if you need your doodad to be some kind of a PCB, I can also design the PCB. If you need some kind of an "Electro-Mechanical" doodad (i.e., some kind of a mechanical-design base with a PCB-design included), I can do that as well. But, for right now.....I just need more information as to what it is that you are looking to achieve. That's it!!!

/

Attachments

• s-l960-2.jpg
    s-l960-2.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 0
  • s-l960.jpg
    s-l960.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 0
Back