New guy! From Holland this time.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kryss

So I've been asked to introduce myself a little. Well, I'll try to keep it short, I tend to make short story a trilogy.

I'm Chris Kuiper living in Zaandam The Netherlands, 44 at the time of writing this down. Occupation being a self-employed electricien for about 20-odd years now. Electronics was always a hobby, which turned to a service when more and more clients asked for repairs and the likes. Another hobby was music, repairing and maintaining synthesizers, turned into a collection which are fun to play with and for the last couple years I grabbed the balls and opportunity to build myself a music studio, a young man's dream perhaps head-on midlife crisis thing since it's also the worst possible timing to build stuff, but hey, F.. it. And with that, I took a dive into a world of joy.

Learned a huge deal on everything soundwise, acoustics, isolation, and an impressive learningcurve in studio tech. Microphones and peripherals for example. Bought myself a couple old mics, pulled them apart and finding out what makes them tick (or hum mostly). I searched intel on some models, like tube-mics (or better pin-outs for those 7pin xlr tube-mic cables which aren't as standard as I was told they were. (in case of the AKG P800 for example, the 7 pin needs disconnected from ground when you buy one from Thomann, otherwise it shorts out) I got regularly pointed to this forum and decided to become a member after I found folk questioning things I knew the answers too.

When the studio is finished, I'm planning on restarting an old idea to extract filters, eq and bus compressors from wellknown machines and turn them into a plugboard of some kind. For example the H/LPF from an MS20, Moog Source, Prophet of choice, Harrison and SSL console etc and complement them into a patchable rackunit or console. Perhaps obsolete for most, but I like the old stuff. One day I'll be engineering a mixconsole with the nicest filter and eq sections I like best. Just for for the fun of it ;-)

Anyway, after some scrolling thru the forum, I felt right home again. Been awhile since I took part in a tech-forum, there aren't many around anymore. So yes, it's great to be here and perhaps I can be of use sometimes.

Latest posts

Back