Tube Mic Power Supply Upgrade Help

Help Support GroupDIY:

kimothebeatmaker

Gus said:
try another tube

Ok I will.  Do you have any suggestions?  Is the tube I have bad? 

Also why did you ask about the voltage regulator and diode?  It's a LM317 and the diode is a 1N4007

abbey road d enfer

kimothebeatmaker said:
Also why did you ask about the voltage regulator and diode?  It's a LM317 and the diode is a 1N4007
The components are only part of the story. How they are put up is more important. And sloppy lay-out can ruin the performance of an otherwise sound design.

Gus

kimothebeatmaker said:
Ok I will.  Do you have any suggestions?  Is the tube I have bad? 

With tube microphones you might need to try a number of tubes(more than 2 is not uncommon) until you find one with low noise.

Asking about the part numbers are to understand what type of filament regulation circuit you have.

kimothebeatmaker

Gus said:
Asking about the part numbers are to understand what type of filament regulation circuit you have.

Im really interested in this, it seems like you nailed the diode dead on guessing its the 1N400 series.  Do you have an idea what kind of circuit this is and how to improve it? 

abbey road d enfer

kimothebeatmaker said:
Im really interested in this, it seems like you nailed the diode dead on guessing its the 1N400 series.  Do you have an idea what kind of circuit this is and how to improve it?
1N400x diodes are here since the 60's; they're the go-to type for many designers.
As popular as the 1N914/4148 for small signal.

kimothebeatmaker

abbey road d enfer said:
Much more enlightening would be knowing the type of U1 - probably LM317...?

Yes it’s a LM137

Attachments

• C8A03BFD-513B-4591-B6F6-F0031325A15E.jpeg
    C8A03BFD-513B-4591-B6F6-F0031325A15E.jpeg
    327.9 KB · Views: 6

kimothebeatmaker

Just incase anyone needs this info for the AL-Y59 mic by Luke Audio

Here is the tube cable pinout for the Y59 mic.

1 - 120
2 - 6.3
3- none
4- gnd
5- audio +
6- audio -
7- gnd

He also verified the Luke T14 can be replaced with the AMI T14.

Also, if you're a DIYer, the empty headbaskets are going for 50 bucks! So you can make your own swappable headbaskets with whatever capsule you like. NICE!!!!!!

Tubetec

Regarding the heat created in tube mics , the fact that the mic is running some degrees above ambient is a good thing . It will drive off any moisture in the capsule and will also stop the tendency for the performers breath to condense on the membrane , that can often be the cause of crackles and pops in cold running transistor mics. Moisture on the membrane might also tend to attract dust particles which again will lead to poor performance after a while .

I'd second the others who suggest swapping out the tube , in tube mics the grid resistor is many megaohms while in typical circuits 1meg would be normal , not all tubes will perform satisfactorily with high grid resistances .

Latest posts