Tube microphone in a wooden body

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leer

Hi fellas.
My friend is very skilled with wood, so i'm thinking about building a microphone with wood.
I'm in much doubt how i would go about to get the heat away from the tube, seeing as wood has a very low thermal conductivity. Would this be a big problem?
Best regards,
Leer.

I only posted that for some extra inspiration.

And because I totally love wood.

Bad conductor obviously which is both a pro and a con.
Foil on the inside?
Hmmm... I'd better leave this to others.

Anyway, I'll follow this with interest.
Success and keep us posted!

Henk

Yeah, sorry if I came out as rude - thought you meant it was all done all seen before :).

About the copper foil, I don't know how much effect it would have on the resonance of the body.

Another "not a tube" but the Telefunken m80 is available in a wooden body & I think it's gorgeous...

TFunk_M80_Wood_web.jpg

I'm in much doubt how i would go about to get the heat away from the tube, seeing as wood has a very low thermal conductivity. Would this be a big problem?
I think you would want to plan to allow some venting so the heated air inside from the tube would be allowed to convect out. It would be as simple as a few small vents at the bottom and top.
I was thinking about making a mic with a piece of brass railing inside the wood exterior. This would provide shielding for the components inside.
My brother is a wood turner. I sent him a few pics of the nu47 and he said with the right tools it would be possible to make the wood exterior with thin walls.

Latest posts

Back