Tube Nutone

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomCatSound

I recently came across a tube Nutone 2015 Intercom module. It has a phono in and different ways to route the signal and I was wondering if anyone had any cool ideas about its possible application in a studio. I have seen some people convert them (Im not exactly sure if its this exact model that they convert) to guitar amps. With the phono in I would image running audio into may work as a tone box. Any other thoughts?20240413_220952.jpg20240413_220928.jpg20240413_220332.jpg20240413_220934.jpg20240413_220318.jpg20240413_220923.jpg20240413_220230.jpg20240413_220252.jpgs-l1600.jpg

The big issue is safety as it look like it is one where the mains netral is tied directly to the chassis. You will need an isolation transformer to be safe.

Cheers

Ian

The big issue is safety as it look like it is one where the mains netral is tied directly to the chassis. You will need an isolation transformer to be safe.

Cheers

Ian
I was wondering how to get around that. I have heard that they can be dangerous. Forgive my ignorance I am still new to this but how would I know which transformer to get?

I was wondering how to get around that. I have heard that they can be dangerous. Forgive my ignorance I am still new to this but how would I know which transformer to get?
Well, the chances are the heaters are wired in series so that will be 300mA of current for those. You are unlikely to need more than 100mA for the HT so let's say 400mA total. So that is 115V x 400mA = 48VA so a 50VA rated 115:115 transformer should do it.

Cheers

Ian

It's in beautiful shape! It would be a shame to repurpose it.
Some Nutone collector or antique radio buff would love (and pay) to get their hands on it.

Nice find!

Those Nutones were a "thing" in the new middle class houses built in the 1960's. I DO recall an incident in my (childhood) neighborhood when one caught on fire inside the wall where it was installed....

Bri

Those Nutones were a "thing" in the new middle class houses built in the 1960's. I DO recall an incident in my (childhood) neighborhood when one caught on fire inside the wall where it was installed....

Bri
That sounds awful. By the time they found what caught Im sure it was too late.

FYI,
Nutone was owned by the Corbett family. Evan is a good friend and the surviving member of the family. The plant was located down the street from my office in Madisonville just outside Cincinnati (now that area is Medpace). That was probably built in the 50's sometime looking at the plug connection. They made a number of units like that, including door bell systems and intercom systems for biz and home use.

FYI,
Nutone was owned by the Corbett family. Evan is a good friend and the surviving member of the family. The plant was located down the street from my office in Madisonville just outside Cincinnati (now that area is Medpace). That was probably built in the 50's sometime looking at the plug connection. They made a number of units like that, including door bell systems and intercom systems for biz and home use.
Another poster mentioned the possibility of it being collectible. Would he possibly know anyone that would want a unit like this? I dont want to go in and turn into something else if someone would like to enjoy it just as it is.

Back