Alctron SDC Tube Microphone

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nen'O

Hello,
Looking for budget SDC tube mic I came across Alctron think it's T40 model.
Anyone knows anything about this mic, is it another OEM. Who else sells it?

Thanks
N.

lScreen Shot 2023-11-06 at 12.16.14.png
Screen Shot 2023-11-06 at 12.16.30.png

I have a Sterling ST31 mic, not sure if it's really the same. It's interesting body for mods, but the stock mic sound quite shitty, the circuit is the typical chinese Schoeps and the capsule is quite small. For a cheap and good sounding SDC mic I would recommend the Tbone SC140. Useful mics as they are, if I'm not mistaken, made by 797

Last edited:
There's a few variations on the name, Not sure if the mics actually differ at all, though I know they don't all have the same windscreen.
Alctron, Badaax, Apex and Groove Tubes/Sterling all have these tube SDCs. Model name for Alctron/Badaax is T40 or T50, sometimes followed by a letter. I've seen T-50B and T-50C. The Apex model is 470 and I think 471. Groove Tubes is the GT-44. Sterling ST31 mentioned above is a Fet mic, but the ST44 is tube, though supposedly doesn't take interchangeable capsuled.

Advanced Audio had the CM-28, and Avantone had the CV-28, which are the same form factor, but the name suggest they're comparing their versions to the AKG C-28.

I think most of these are discontinued sadly, I've been trying to find another to make a pair with my Badaax T-50B.

There's currently an Alctron T50C on Reverb from Fraance for $139 USD

There's a few variations on the name, Not sure if the mics actually differ at all, though I know they don't all have the same windscreen.
Alctron, Badaax, Apex and Groove Tubes/Sterling all have these tube SDCs. Model name for Alctron/Badaax is T40 or T50, sometimes followed by a letter. I've seen T-50B and T-50C. The Apex model is 470 and I think 471. Groove Tubes is the GT-44. Sterling ST31 mentioned above is a Fet mic, but the ST44 is tube, though supposedly doesn't take interchangeable capsuled.

Advanced Audio had the CM-28, and Avantone had the CV-28, which are the same form factor, but the name suggest they're comparing their versions to the AKG C-28.

I think most of these are discontinued sadly, I've been trying to find another to make a pair with my Badaax T-50B.

There's currently an Alctron T50C on Reverb from Fraance for $139 USD
Awesome info!
Did you mod your Badaax T50B or it's stock OK?

I was lucky to get 2 BadAax T-11 supper cheap and with simple mod turn them into amazing mics.
Hope to get similar result with SDC Tube mic.

Cheers

Looking for budget SDC tube mic
Unfortunately, "Looking for budget SDC tube mic" often results in mics that do not sound as good as a similar, with their associated FET mic, for more money.
Among the compromises manufacturers of cheap tube mics make, they use pedestrian tubes with uncontrolled grid current, which they counter by using low-value grid resistors, which in turn results in increased noise.
They also use cheap transformers, which results in compromised frequency response and distortion.
In most cases, they are less usable that FET mics, and do not offer the desirable "tube sound".
I'm not saying it's impossible to find good "budget SDC tube mic", but it takes a lot of experimenting.
Many people have profitably used the possibility to return unsatisfactory items, such as offered by the big German on-line retailer, or Amazon.

Unfortunately, "Looking for budget SDC tube mic" often results in mics that do not sound as good as a similar, with their associated FET mic, for more money.
Among the compromises manufacturers of cheap tube mics make, they use pedestrian tubes with uncontrolled grid current, which they counter by using low-value grid resistors, which in turn results in increased noise.
They also use cheap transformers, which results in compromised frequency response and distortion.
In most cases, they are less usable that FET mics, and do not offer the desirable "tube sound".
I'm not saying it's impossible to find good "budget SDC tube mic", but it takes a lot of experimenting.
Many people have profitably used the possibility to return unsatisfactory items, such as offered by the big German on-line retailer, or Amazon.
Other 'safe' option would be Beesneez LULU tube but that is way above my budget at the moment.
Let's hope for the best with another china modded mics :)

Hi,

Can share a link for more-012 tube preamp?

Only thing I found was oktava mini tube mic but that is discontinued.

Thanks
Ah that's the one I meant. Is it discontinued or sold out?

I honestly can't think of many tube SDCs that aren't expensive, mediocre, or both (like the Advanced Audio and Peluso ones, I'm not spending Schoeps/Sennheiser money on those). Best bet might be to get a good tube preamp if you don't already have one. Or you could look for a used the t.bone SCT200 (not 2000).

Last edited:
It wouldn't be easy, but if someone manages to make a tube SDC with mechanically switchable cardioid/omni (think KSM141 or the similar Schoeps capsule), that could be huge for DIYers. Though that would require a looot of work.

It wouldn't be easy, but if someone manages to make a tube SDC with mechanically switchable cardioid/omni (think KSM141 or the similar Schoeps capsule), that could be huge for DIYers. Though that would require a looot of work.
Good point!
Have good news,just got reply from Milan, his PCB for SDC tube mic and PSU will work with any SDC capsule as long as it fit on mic body.
This is getting even more interesting :)

If the switch only affects to the vents pattern (not sure) it could be easily done this way but guess it would need some further experiments

Attachments

• 20231110_122035.jpg
    20231110_122035.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back