Tubes .... What Tubes ? sound ..... what sound ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, mixing and smoking weed is a really bad and unprofessional idea so I'm really beginning to doubt this "chief" of yours. Of course everything sounds like magic under the influence.

Well we can't argue that all tubes are NOT created equal. Therefore it doesn't take much stretch of the imagination to figure that if someone decided to amass a selection of very expensive/golden ear chosen tubes that they are going to impart a different sonic character then other tubes. Even if just subtle. But isn't everything more or less subtle?

Kingston said:
Also, mixing and smoking weed is a really bad and unprofessional idea so I'm really beginning to doubt this "chief" of yours. Of course everything sounds like magic under the influence.

most of dub music has been mixed completely stoned, it sounds fantastic !

e.oelberg said:
Kingston said:

There's a difference between recreational use, and these "huh?"-men mixing dub. "huh?" being the average reaction time. I've met these people with thirty years of constant use under the belt. The effect on the brain is not unlike sniffing paint thinners.

Built my G9 with JJ ECC82s. Bought a pair of GE 5 Star NOS for first stage and a nice pair of Mullard NOS for second stage. Wonderful change in sound. Could hear it recording my dad playing banjo night and day.

riggler said:
Could hear it recording my dad playing banjo night and day.

And yet, it was not night and day, apart from the difference of weight in your wallet. Most people on this forum would not be able to hear the difference, let alone measure it.

Night and day is -3dB at 10khz or a sudden loss of all frequencies below 80hz. Heck, most people with G9's never even noticed the total lack of bass (something like 3-5dB cut at 50hz) due to LL5402 always being mismatched to the output stage. And that one at least could be easily measured!

Kingston said:
riggler said:
Could hear it recording my dad playing banjo night and day.

And yet, it was not night and day, apart from the difference of weight in your wallet. Most people on this forum would not be able to hear the difference, let alone measure it.

Underestimating peoples ability to hear is probably the reason the current music state is the way it is. People might not know what they are hearing but I bet you it will make them react differently to the music even if they don't know why. Given the fact they are in a good listening environment and have given enough ganga to smoke ;)

Kingston said:
Night and day is -3dB at 10khz or a sudden loss of all frequencies below 80hz.

Most people don't even notice that, in the absence of a comparison. 

How do you guys know when you're actually hearing something?

What I mean is:

-Our "sound memory" is silly short, like seconds.
-We don't listen objectively, we listen to different parts of a sound at different occasions. Hence, the exact same recording may sound different to you, back to back.
-Our brain affect what we hear. Like the classic example of equing the wrong channel on a desk while "hearing the difference".

So yeah, in all humbleness, how does one know?
I know I fool myself all the time. I need a quadruple blind test and dogs in white lab coats to convince myself.

On the other hand, I've worked in studios with nice tube gear, where I know for a fact that no one has even bothered to check tubes in any of the gear for decades unless something is obviously wrong. Maybe that's why this guy carries around a box of tubes.

JohnRoberts said:
Whether the difference sounds as dramatic as you describe could be influenced by what you were smoking during that break and how bad the old tubes were.

bEsT aNsWeR.

Man...

In regards to the G9...

I most definitely heard a difference in dimensionality of the soundstage, width. I guess that's audiofoolery though.

I'll make an A/B recording and post it up over the weekend.

Kingston said:
Heck, most people with G9's never even noticed the total lack of bass (something like 3-5dB cut at 50hz) due to LL5402 always being mismatched to the output stage. And that one at least could be easily measured!

Just checked my standard G9/DIY (with Lundahl in and out). I have -3dB at 29Hz when run from a 600 ohm source.

So you may want to check your setup - specially the value of the (4u7) output capacitors, as bigger isn't better in this case!

Jakob E.

gyraf said:
Kingston said:
Heck, most people with G9's never even noticed the total lack of bass (something like 3-5dB cut at 50hz) due to LL5402 always being mismatched to the output stage. And that one at least could be easily measured!

Just checked my standard G9/DIY (with Lundahl in and out). I have -3dB at 29Hz when run from a 600 ohm source.

So you may want to check your setup - specially the value of the (4u7) output capacitors, as bigger isn't better in this case!

Jakob E.

It's not the output capacitor, but the 12AU7 stage itself with LL5402. Covered in excruciating detail here especially on later pages. http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=9813.0

e.oelberg said:
Kingston said:

Yes, but dub, classic mostly mixed in mono, is not about the subtle sonic quality it is about the beat and the space.  Just imagine this "chief" coming to a dub mix session with his own vintage thermistor to install in the console oscillator.  Ha-ha!
Mike

As much tube gear as I have, and use, and as many different samples of various tube types as I've listened to, for as many years as I've done this.......

I still can't imagine thinking during a session "I should change a tube type in that piece, for better sound".  Doing so certainly paints one as a wizard, and further ahead of everyone else in the room.  Nice piece of political theater.   

emrr said:
As much tube gear as I have, and use, and as many different samples of various tube types as I've listened to, for as many years as I've done this.......

I still can't imagine thinking during a session "I should change a tube type in that piece, for better sound".   Doing so certainly paints one as a wizard, and further ahead of everyone else in the room.  Nice piece of political theater.    

Mister, you shouldn't speak in public about these matters.

Inadvertently, you may lead someone to start thinking critically, "with their own head" - which may in consequence upset the society and the social order..

Btw..
Who gives a flyiing f*** about tubes? BC140/10 and 2N1711 is where the mojo lives...

Back