Turning studio on using only power strips.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As stated above- no there's no harm in doing this. Obviously certain digital electronics- usually anything with read/write memory included- might have a shutdown procedure that needs to be followed but other than that no.

In my space my computer, interfaces/converters, master clock, hard drives, all live on a rack mount UPS and are generally on 24-7. Everything else, including monitors, gear racks, my 'compact' large format console, and even most of my accent lighting are on a 4-circuit 300V/15A industrial contactor/relay that is controlled by a keyswitch at the entrance where the light switches are. This feeds 3 circuits around the room that feed the various Furmans etc.., and the dedicated circuit for the console power supply in the machine room.

So I walk in the door, turn on the lights, and turn the key and with a very satisfying 'clunk' from the machine room everything powers up all at once (monitors have their own built in power on delay so no worries there). Never had an issue with anything getting angry, though it's fun to watch the ammeter jump to the inrush current :LOL:IMG_4268.jpeg

The one time I met Rupert Neve I asked him a question along these lines, my question to him was should his consoles be powered up 24/7 to avoid any damaging surges and he said "Why would you want to leave your console on when not in use? The electronics are not going to be affected by shutting it on and off unless they already have an issue or are borderline" He then added " Of course if you're are operating a professional facility where the equipment is in daily use turning the console on and off does not make sense but if you're going more than a couple of days without using it turning it off to conserve energy makes sense."
He then went on to tell me a story of visiting a broadcast facility in japan where the console had been on for decades and where they freaked out when he started to adjust something on the console....because the console was on air!

I'm gonna try to keep it brief. This is something I always wanted to know directly coming from the pros who build . I've heard and read all kinds of yay's and nay's with all kinds of reasonings coming from musicians, engineers, mixers, live sound engineers, publications, etc.

Does music gear get jolted, damaged little by little or all at once, if I keep everything turned on and pluged into power strips, and then turn on all the power strips? (monitors, rack processors, audio interface, drum machines, midi modules, computer monitors, etc?) - not a console -
Yes, especially speakers. Never a good idea to power up everything at once. Why dont you try one of these: 15A Standard Power Conditioner with Sequencer | Furman Power (Configure it to fire up the inputs first.)

Last edited:
Yes, especially speakers. Never a good idea to power up everything at once. Why dont you try one of these: 15A Standard Power Conditioner with Sequencer | Furman Power (Configure it to fire up the inputs first.)
Thanks Tommy, didn't knew Furman had a sequence type power conditioner. Will look into it for sure.

I didn't thought of it in the original post of clearing this up, but the original question is about if gear can be left with the switch on, and then be turned on from a power strip/power conditioner or any professional suited power supplier, more specifically if gear can take it without getting "worn down" with time or one day just shutting down, if they are suited for that practice off the box. Not really about the sequence in which stuff must be turned on. My bad.

Summarizing, I've heard that is the same as turning the switch on any unit, and I have heard the contrary.

Last edited:
Saying, "... it has never been a problem for me ..." is an case of the old So-Far-So-Good Logical Fallacy. For example, a guy claims he can disprove the Theory of Gravity. He gathers a crowd, and as proof, he leaps off the Empire State Building. Half way down he triumphantly yells ..."See! So far, so good!) :)

Sidebar - Food for Thought Case No. 208947 -

While I agree it DOES matter what particular gear is involved, ... some types of equipment should NOT be powered on and off at a remote location or by a power strip. Some gear should only be turned on and off with their own power switches. This type of equipment often involves sensitive computer-like digital components which are sensitive to high initial current inrush and components sensitive to static discharge. For example, in a not-so different application, most modern amateur radio transceivers, audio components, linear RF amplifiers, and accessories (think antenna transmatch) and other equipment should ALWAYS be turned on and off using their own power switches - especially if they employ internal computer-like firmware controls, especially when power is removed before the firmware has completed its final shut down routine, writing settings and other data to disc and similar processes.

Given the number of modern audio devices with similar on-board firmware and computer-like processes, I would consider each component seriatum before throwing the main switch to the whole studio as a convenient way to power on or off the entire system. In other words, there may be more to all of this than the effects of high or low power inrush.
Additionally, a couple local electrical engineers I frequently lunch with designed equipment for NASA and the Air Force. They said it is not always a good idea to turn an entire system of various equipment on and off all at once - not so much because the gear, itself, is adversely affected; but for the stress it could place on the electrical system ahead of it all. It may present a rather big load all at once, so why press one's luck? (food for thought, you be the judge!) In my studio, I turn each item on and off as needed, killing the power strip only after the separate components have been switched off. Tedious, but it works for me - you know, so far, so good !!! :)

Just MY take. Your mileage may differ. James

I'm quite sure that was more about passive speakers / monitors (that have outboard amps).

I'm quite positive your audio interface does NOT have any (power) "amps" though ;)
Yeah you're right, got mixed up with the whole thing.

Saying, "... it has never been a problem for me ..." is an case of the old So-Far-So-Good Logical Fallacy. For example, a guy claims he can disprove the Theory of Gravity. He gathers a crowd, and as proof, he leaps off the Empire State Building. Half way down he triumphantly yells ..."See! So far, so good!) :)

While I agree it DOES matter what particular gear is involved, ... some types of equipment should NOT be powered on and off at a remote location or by a power strip. Some gear should only be turned on and off with their own power switches. This type of equipment often involves sensitive computer-like digital components which are sensitive to high initial current inrush and components sensitive to static discharge. For example, in a not-so different application, most modern amateur radio transceivers, audio components, linear RF amplifiers, and accessories (think antenna transmatch) and other equipment should ALWAYS be turned on and off using their own power switches - especially if they employ internal computer-like firmware controls, especially when power is removed before the firmware has completed its final shut down routine, writing settings and other data to disc and similar processes.

Given the number of modern audio devices with similar on-board firmware and computer-like processes, I would consider each component seriatum before throwing the main switch to the whole studio as a convenient way to power on or off the entire system. In other words, there may be more to all of this than the effects of high or low power inrush.
Additionally, a couple local electrical engineers I frequently lunch with designed equipment for NASA and the Air Force. They said it is not always a good idea to turn an entire system of various equipment on and off all at once - not so much because the gear, itself, is adversely affected; but for the stress it could place on the electrical system ahead of it all. It may present a rather big load all at once, so why press one's luck? (food for thought, you be the judge!) In my studio, I turn each item on and off as needed, killing the power strip only after the separate components have been switched off. Tedious, but it works for me - you know, so far, so good !!! :)

Makes total sense, thanks James for your explanation. :)

He is not turning on and off a rocket launch site. He is turning on a personal studio. Max wattage maybe 4 kW? Assuming also that the power amps are turned on last. If a 4 kW load caused a problem in your power system, watch out when you turn on the heaters!
I had a client who wanted exactly this, a one switch turn on. With some delays we did the whole lot except his computer.
Worked absolutely fine. Computers do need to be turned on/off separately.

He is not turning on and off a rocket launch site. He is turning on a personal studio. Max wattage maybe 4 kW? Assuming also that the power amps are turned on last. If a 4 kW load caused a problem in your power system, watch out when you turn on the heaters!
I had a client who wanted exactly this, a one switch turn on. With some delays we did the whole lot except his computer.
Worked absolutely fine. Computers do need to be turned on/off separately.
lol , I hear all sides, thanks a lot radardoug for commenting! I will look further into power delays (PDP) for this. If I understood well, maybe it was a work time delay.

Last edited:
is music gear "equipped" to keep the switch on, plugged into a dedicated strip, then be turned on by the switch of that strip without it being damaged?

Yes.
If you analyse gear schematics, you see that “most” of the time the power on/off switch is connected before the transformer primary, so that switch acts exactly the same way as the outlet on/off switch. I say “most” because some gear (exceptions) might have switching arrangement in the secondary of the TX, or in the PSU, or have a relay switching arrangement, but even in those it’s completely fine.

Like it was said here, Computers should be separate, as also powered speakers or monitors amp, and also the console (only large format consoles) if there is one.

That’s exactly the arrangement we had in the big professional studio I used to work. All the rack units where connected to power outlets without a switch and then we had a Switch/Fuss breaker on the back of the rack that was used to turn off or on all the rack units at once.

Every studio has then it’s own quirks, for example we had to change the sequence we turned on the converters, not because they could be damaged but because they would not communicate to each other.
We had Digidesign 192 and 96 (main interfaces) and then connect led to it we had Lavry converters, plus an Apogee Rosetta and Apogee AD8000. So what happen was that we had to turn on the Lavry and the Apogge converters first, wait some seconds and only then turn on the Digi 192 and 96, otherwise those would not lock with the external converts. But nothing to do with damage.

On a side note for Large Format consoles, back in the day they used to be left turned on all the time, but back in the day the studios made much more money than nowadays…
An SSL (48chsnnek or more) console turned all the time wastes a lot of energy, not only in its own power consumption but also in the power needed for the AC cool down systems both in the control room and in the consoles power supply room. Electrical bill is quite high.
Nowadays I don’t see people doing that anymore, they turn off thr console at the end of the day, the way it’s done is using the Bank on/off switches under the console, that turn on and off 8 channels at a time. So people will turn if off by slidding one bank switch at a time, and then at power up the same. Turn it on, the master section will light up, and then turn 8 channels on in sequence, this procedure is followed so you don’t stress too much the PSU by turning on all at once.

This is my sequence in studios:
1) all rack units
2) converters
3) Audio interfaces
4) computer
5) powered monitors and/or monitor amplifiers

Hope this helps

Yes.
If you analyse gear schematics, you see that “most” of the time the power on/off switch is connected before the transformer primary, so that switch acts exactly the same way as the outlet on/off switch. I say “most” because some gear (exceptions) might have switching arrangement in the secondary of the TX, or in the PSU, or have a relay switching arrangement, but even in those it’s completely fine.

Like it was said here, Computers should be separate, as also powered speakers or monitors amp, and also the console (only large format consoles) if there is one.

That’s exactly the arrangement we had in the big professional studio I used to work. All the rack units where connected to power outlets without a switch and then we had a Switch/Fuss breaker on the back of the rack that was used to turn off or on all the rack units at once.

Every studio has then it’s own quirks, for example we had to change the sequence we turned on the converters, not because they could be damaged but because they would not communicate to each other.
We had Digidesign 192 and 96 (main interfaces) and then connect led to it we had Lavry converters, plus an Apogee Rosetta and Apogee AD8000. So what happen was that we had to turn on the Lavry and the Apogge converters first, wait some seconds and only then turn on the Digi 192 and 96, otherwise those would not lock with the external converts. But nothing to do with damage.

On a side note for Large Format consoles, back in the day they used to be left turned on all the time, but back in the day the studios made much more money than nowadays…
An SSL (48chsnnek or more) console turned all the time wastes a lot of energy, not only in its own power consumption but also in the power needed for the AC cool down systems both in the control room and in the consoles power supply room. Electrical bill is quite high.
Nowadays I don’t see people doing that anymore, they turn off thr console at the end of the day, the way it’s done is using the Bank on/off switches under the console, that turn on and off 8 channels at a time. So people will turn if off by slidding one bank switch at a time, and then at power up the same. Turn it on, the master section will light up, and then turn 8 channels on in sequence, this procedure is followed so you don’t stress too much the PSU by turning on all at once.

This is my sequence in studios:
1) all rack units
2) converters
3) Audio interfaces
4) computer
5) powered monitors and/or monitor amplifiers

Hope this helps
Totally. Thanks so much Whoops.

In this post, this was what I was exactly after:

"Yes.
If you analyse gear schematics, you see that “most” of the time the power on/off switch is connected before the transformer primary, so that switch acts exactly the same way as the outlet on/off switch. I say “most” because some gear (exceptions) might have switching arrangement in the secondary of the TX, or in the PSU, or have a relay switching arrangement, but even in those it’s completely fine."

I thought of looking at the schematics of my gear, with the limited knowledge that I have for that, but let's say that at the moment I'm in vacactions due to burnt out, 24/7 no holidays work schedule for over 10 years. And I wouldnt have been able to really pin it down.

I'm quite savy on the basics of handling studio equipment, been doing this over 20 years. But I do not presume to know what dedicated people know, everyone has a one or two things that their good at, that they do 24/7. That's why I ask what seems like obvious and primary/basic questions, but if you look deep in it, there it is. I like what John Roberts answered about this matter: "It's complicated". If I recall he was answering about only turning on equipment with the switch on, from a power source, not the sequence in which was turned on.

For example, at the moment, I'm switching on, gear wise, Racks: Vermona Phaser and Lexicon 2000mxl, with the power strip, those come without an on switch, they're 240V. Midi Modules, a Proteus 1/xr, super 1080 JV, Proteus 2500. Drum Machines Sequencers, MPC500, MPC1000, SP-404SX, Roland MC-303, Alesis Master Reverb, a couple of cheapo drum machines, a vhs, a couple of 70's hi fi amps . Other, Behringer mini mixer, furman guitar board with effects, which I route sometimes to the midi modules, and some other stuff I forget now, and basically that's it for now.

Then my 67' Blackface and other amps require some care as well when turning them on, cuz the poor wiring of the building. That's the quirk part of my home studio. If I dont follow a certain sequence, I can hear pop and crackles when I turn on other gear in my Amps, and I don't like that very much. Even tho those amps are often used at 10 and over fuzzed out (hi gain over what ussually they can take). But I take care from "non musical" "sounds" coming through them. That can easily damage those 50 plus old speakers, I think. Even if not, I dont feel comfortable hearing high peak crackles and loud, loud pops in them, which are not intended for guitar speakers.

I follow the signal path. I'm skipping the rest of components.

In a place I used to frequent, they had an SSL G series, that was turned on all the time. It was true that was in use basically 24/7 (who wouldnt have that console in use 24/7, it's an 100 thousand bucks plus priced console), their explanation for having it on all the time, even when was not in use, with an Air Conditioner, even in winter, and if I recall even when the studio was closed for like xmas, was that it needed constant electricity flowing through the components, so it wouldnt get effed up, that's how it was designed, to be on 24/7. So that every component would wore down the same as well, and that a large quantity of components cant handle been turned on and off every day. I dont remember, but that G series probably had around 60 some channels, so imagine turning on and off 60 compressors, 60 limiters, 60 equalizers, 60 routing system, 60 motorized faders, etc etc at once, every day. And if I recall well, that the trasnformers and psu part wasnt intended to be turned on and off, that it actually damaged that part, that section of the console. Probably not non functioning from one day to another but that It wasn't good for those components. I dont recall that console having those little strips in which you can turn on/off 8/16 channels at a time. That's what I remember, I can be wrong.

Please overlook the typos in gear models and so on, I'm writing this down quickly.

Last edited:
I'm not smart enough to make broad sweeping generalities about how all modern gear is designed while I am willing to suspect that most modern gear will not suffer damage from being switched together. Of course any single bulk switch must be sized for the total inrush current.

JR

that's how it was designed, to be on 24/7.

I strongly disagree with that, it was not designed to be on 24/7 or not, it was designed to be a good recording and mixing tool.
Like I said, leaving a large format SSL console turned on 24/7 was a trend in the past, I don't see the same nowadays, and all is fine with that.
Also it makes complete sense to turn it off as the waste of energy (console + air conditioning) is outrageous and completely unnecessary.

Our console was an SSL 4000 G Series, 48 channels, there were toggle switches underneath the console to turn on/off each bank of 8 channels. So it was easy to turn it on sequentially.
I'm pretty sure that in other SSL consoles you have also ways of doing the power on safely,
Basically the only thing I can see is the power surge on the PSU at power up, but even then the PSU should be designed to withstand that, the console had to be turned on at least the first time and survived that.

So that every component would wore down the same as well,

That I also strongly disagree, components will never ever wore down in the same way,
also some components not even wore down at all.
2 electrolytic capacitors in the same placement but in different channels will not wore down the same after 30 years.
What you describe simply doesn't happen, components wore down but not all the same, it's not dependent if they were working for the same time or not.

and that a large quantity of components cant handle been turned on and off every day.

Can you please tell what components can't handle that?
Because I don't see any

Maybe just the filter caps if the initial power surge is really high and stress too much the Lytic/Filter caps, that's the only thing I can see theoretically.
Maybe someone has other ideas, but I'm not seeing any at the moment

Turn it on or turn it off. Walter e sear wrote a great article on this subject.
You can find it at the sear sound website. It’s pretty funny.
Whatever you do, don’t do what I saw at a studio this past week on a service visit.
They had a power strip in the rack that had a female end. I can’t for the life of me figure out why the strip was normal/standard except for the wiring and mains connector to the strip was female. Well rather then fix it, someone wired a male to male mains cable from the wall outlet to the power strip.
Imagine my surprise when my hand and arm in rack got an electrical bite.

My setup might be wrong but it's working for me... Have one Furman p-1800 conditioner/regulator that drives the always-on stuff (computer, monitor, and interface which has its own power switch). That feeds three other furman powerstrips - one for powered monitors, 500 series rack, and control surface, one for the D-BOX which I need often (and sends a pop on power down) and other items I only use while recording like, and one for a sidecar rack.

It's working for me so far, though the strips for the dbox and monitors are under the desk and sometimes I switch them off out of sequence and hear a devastating pop out of my monitors, even with all volume at zero. Really wish the d-box had a powerdown cycle and a powerswitch to prevent that.

This thread is awesome because I didn't even think to look if they make sequenced strips - now I know!

I strongly disagree with that, it was not designed to be on 24/7 or not, it was designed to be a good recording and mixing tool.
Like I said, leaving a large format SSL console turned on 24/7 was a trend in the past, I don't see the same nowadays, and all is fine with that.
Also it makes complete sense to turn it off as the waste of energy (console + air conditioning) is outrageous and completely unnecessary.

Our console was an SSL 4000 G Series, 48 channels, there were toggle switches underneath the console to turn on/off each bank of 8 channels. So it was easy to turn it on sequentially.
I'm pretty sure that in other SSL consoles you have also ways of doing the power on safely,
Basically the only thing I can see is the power surge on the PSU at power up, but even then the PSU should be designed to withstand that, the console had to be turned on at least the first time and survived that.

That I also strongly disagree, components will never ever wore down in the same way,
also some components not even wore down at all.
2 electrolytic capacitors in the same placement but in different channels will not wore down the same after 30 years.
What you describe simply doesn't happen, components wore down but not all the same, it's not dependent if they were working for the same time or not.

Can you please tell what components can't handle that?
Because I don't see any

Maybe just the filter caps if the initial power surge is really high and stress too much the Lytic/Filter caps, that's the only thing I can see theoretically.
Maybe someone has other ideas, but I'm not seeing any at the moment

Yeah I can't answer that friend, like I said:

"their explanation for having it on all the time, even when was not in use, (and on and on)"

My setup might be wrong but it's working for me... Have one Furman p-1800 conditioner/regulator that drives the always-on stuff (computer, monitor, and interface which has its own power switch). That feeds three other furman powerstrips - one for powered monitors, 500 series rack, and control surface, one for the D-BOX which I need often (and sends a pop on power down) and other items I only use while recording like, and one for a sidecar rack.

It's working for me so far, though the strips for the dbox and monitors are under the desk and sometimes I switch them off out of sequence and hear a devastating pop out of my monitors, even with all volume at zero. Really wish the d-box had a powerdown cycle and a powerswitch to prevent that.

This thread is awesome because I didn't even think to look if they make sequenced strips - now I know!
Yeah I get you. Twenty plus years after I studied and understood for instance compressors I'm still watching "How do compressors work, the basics" videos on YT because every few years I get a new conception of dynamics and such. Every few years that I gather experience, I can get more from a begginers video, maybe from a guy that learned how they work four years ago. And yeah, I use them for tunning as well, bring stuff back or forth, not only to control dynamics, and there I am, watching, "The basics of compression" lmao.

The same with gear, it's funny the things that I have learned that are out there like decades after I needed them, and just went over my radar. And it's pretty basic stuff. Or like stuff that came out these last years. It's wild.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back