U47 capsule pedestal screw won't loosen

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffbro

I'm trying to transplant a capsule and pedestal from one head basket plate to another. The problem is that I can't seem to loosen the screw that attaches the pedestal to the acrylic base that holds the pattern switch. I assume it was originally assembled with locking compound and I think I see a red residue around the screw.

I've already used a pretty amount of force and I'm afraid to use more for fear of breaking the acrylic parts. What is the trick for breaking this screw loose?

Thanks
Jeff

I'm pretty sure WD won't affect the adhesive and there is the concern that more effective solvents might damage the acrylic.

I've been speculating about repeated applications of a heated screwdriver blade or pressing a small heated metal bar against the flat head of the screw, but these seem like Rube Goldberg engineering.

I'm hoping for insight from one of our experienced microphone experts.

Didn't alcohol risk shattering acrylic?

And just because i said "heat", doesn't mean i meant "temperatures that would melt steel". Just enough warmth to break the surface contact.

Latest posts

Back