U47 with Phaedrus VF14 M tube

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably measured by ears. It's really hard to imagine how it sounds 70% of the VF14 sound. I wonder why not making sound samples and give the people chance to hear it.
I don’t have original VF14. I sent Phaedrus tube to my firmed and he told me the result. I really wanna have a chance to get a really one to compare them.

Attachments

• DC336792-CC0E-4920-B20C-A8A379F73BA5.jpeg
    DC336792-CC0E-4920-B20C-A8A379F73BA5.jpeg
    125.2 KB · Views: 82
Probably measured by ears. It's really hard to imagine how it sounds 70% of the VF14 sound. I wonder why not making sound samples and give the people chance to hear it.
If it's still there ask him to record something. Possible?

He sent back to me already. He said not a tube is able to replace VF14. He also compared vintage BV8 and vintage M7 (re-sink) to recently made. Everything combined makes huge difference. I don’t really understand why we can’t made the gears as good as vintage?

Maybe if you read the full analysis of vf14 i posted earlier you would understand. It's not about making gear as "good as vintage" because VF14 is pretty much a crappy tube in many aspects. However that "crapiness" became something known as "charracter" and that is something people are after. If you wanted "good" you would probably use an op amp. However not many classic records are made with those in mics. So far i might add.

If someone like you, who had a chance to compare the two, made a proper test we might have a shot at replicating those imperfections. I happen to know one who does a pretty good job at that, but is not willing to share as it can easily get monetized by someone else.

My question to you and the friend is why not do a propper test while you still had a chance? It is so easy to atribute clean, harsh, cold to a modern product, and many would agree because of the confirmation bias. But waste a chance to put a finger on what that actually means?

Last edited:
I had the opportunity and cash (at the same time) to grab a mint VF14 and could have compared to it to my Phaedrus, but ultimately decided against it. I guess it confirms my goals and hopes of truly no longer caring about vintage and focusing on what’s currently manufactured and nos still widely-available today for reasonable money.

Maybe if you read the full analysis of vf14 i posted earlier you would understand. It's not about making gear as "good as vintage" because VF14 is pretty much a crappy tube in many aspects. However that "crapiness" became something known as "charracter" and that is something people are after. If you wanted "good" you would probably use an op amp. However not many classic records are made with those in mics. So far i might add.

If someone like you, who had a chance to compare the two, made a proper test we might have a shot at replicating those imperfections. I happen to know one who does a pretty good job at that, but is not willing to share as it can easily get monetized.

My question to you and the friend is why not do a propper test while you still had a chance? It is so easy to atribute clean, harsh, cold to a modern product, and many would agree because of the confirmation bias. But waste a chance to put a finger on what that actually means?
He is living in overseas and I shipped it last time almost get lost my package. Sorry for my poor English to make some misunderstandings. What I tried to say is Phaedrus tube is similar sound to vintage one but still have differences. It’s like the real meat and beyond meat.
I’m just a beginner to do diy and wanna share my diy products. I know some of members have lots of test equipments and strong theories and know how to do it properly.

Latest posts

Back