U87ai by Fuchs without de-emphasis

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sebass

Hi everyone,

following a recommendation by micolas, I'm starting this new thread to focus on specific aspects of the U87ai build using Michael Fuchs' guide.

I've successfully built the U87ai with Michael Fuchs' PCB, and it works great with a cheap capsule. I’m now planning to switch that buit to an Arienne Audio flat K47 capsule.

I received the recommendation (by Khorn) to remove the feedback circuit in that case to achieve a more KM84-like microphone.

So my question is:
To remove the de-emphasis, do I simply need to remove the 470nF capacitor (C6)?

As a beginner, I'm assuming it's beneficial to remove the feedback circuit to adjust the frequency response. This seems particularly relevant since the frequency curves of the flat K47 and the K87 (Adrienne Audio) are quite different. Is this assumption correct?

I appreciate your insights and advice on these points. Thanks in advance for your help!

Best regards,
Sebass

To remove the de-emphasis, do I simply need to remove the 470nF capacitor (C6)?

If you have the board already populated with parts, yes.

Hint: if you type "@" and the first couple of letters of a username, it pops out a list so you can "tag" them (and autofills the username correctly) ;)

If you have the board already populated with parts, yes.

Hint: if you type "@" and the first couple of letters of a username, it pops out a list so you can "tag" them (and autofills the username correctly) ;)
Thanks a lot for the response and the handy tip!

Quick question: could you explain why I should remove the feedback circuit? I’m just trying to get a better grasp of the reason behind this suggestion.
Is it all about the different frequency curves of the capsules?

Thanks again for your help!

Latest posts

Back