ultimate mastering gssl pimp (pics inside)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dagoose

Here it is! Still a bit under construction but i wanted to show it allready.  ;D
The ultimate pimped up GSSL compressor with, i guess, the most fully stuffed case.
This is what is in next to the regular stuff:

SSL vca's
switchable turbo mode
dual sidechain board with hi pass, lo pass (not done yet), thrust and external
led GR meter with 2, 10 and 20 db range switch
led vu meter (in the making) with switch between in/output
crush and blend, hard bypass switchable (livingnote board and design)
last but not least: the ulimate BLING forntpanel of pure brass!  8) (livingnote is a hero for doing this for me!)

Still needs to be done:

lo pass filter implementation at 150 / 200 hz: the bypass cap of the last opamp stage of the sidechain boards will be 120nf and 68nf or something like that. I have a 3 deck 12 stepped switch allready, two decks for the freq steps of the hi pass and thrust and the 3th deck to add the caps with a relay.
I use a pluginn with parallel compression in the same mode and it can be really pumping because the sidechain only repsonds to lo frequencies. For subtleness the original signal can be mixed in with the wet/dry control.

Led VU meter with lm3916 with a switch between in and output so you can monitor the gain. Need some good summing of left and right and have to implement it.

For the rest it needs some rewiring because some stuff is a bit messy now but it's working perfectly!

OK... here it is at the moment! The shiny brass look is quite hard to see at the picture but it really looks nice in real live.  ;)

ssl1.jpg

ssl2.jpg

ssl3.jpg

ssl4.jpg

ssl5.jpg

ssl6.jpg

peterc said:
I lurve the look of the brass! I have been investigating copper plating finishes for 18th century style front panels..... They look awesome to me.

Nice build

Peter

Hey Oom, your colonial history catching up with ya  ;D

Dagoose, great looking build, sure it sounds even better!!!

Cheers

Matt

Ahhh I like it! Really nice thing - also a really good position for the cnb, right there where the path is short.
I lurve the look of the brass! I have been investigating copper plating finishes for 18th century style front panels..... They look awesome to me.

Yah I second that! I'm a big steampunk fan, haven't made me my leather goggles yet but...one thing is that copper tarnishes, and it's soft, it might make sense in that case also to go for a sandwich thing with 1mm Chrome steel backing for stability.

Now for a picture with lights on!

Nice !

But you're Dutch, right ? Don't be so tightfisted, spend a bit more on knobs & ditch those cheap blue knobs, really !  ;)

Enjoy !

Peter

radiance said:
Nice indeed!

How about some BRASSO
brasso.gif

hahahaha! once a week with a soft cloth.  ;D

I just implemented the LO pass filter and it works GREAT! It really makes the sound pump way more then without any filter, the kick really 'plocks' through with a filter set to about 150hz and a second one at about 250hz. (68nf and 100nf) Implenting the filter is a matter of adding the caps in parallel wit the feedback cap (22pf) at the last opamp stage, i had to use a 3 deck switch to do that and it needs 2 relays the way i did it, will post some more info later on.
When you mix the dry signal in with the crush and blend it really makes the sound powerfull and really punchy.
I will make some sound examples later on, have to get it back into my studio first but it really makes the GSSL more special then it allready is.

ok... made some better pics with natural daylight now and removed some of the fingerprints. In some kind of way the fingerprimts make it more 'rock and roll' tough.. but they will show up again soon i think . ;)

ssl7.jpg

ssl8.jpg

ssl9.jpg

ssl10.jpg

Next up... sound samples!  :eek:

Hi dagoose!!
Impressive built!!!!ya rock....
May I ask where did you found those push buttons???(on/off trbo etc ...)

ok... made a quick test file with and without the low pass filter.
first is uncompressed signal, second is compressed (about 8db compression) without filter, then with low pass filter at 150hz and last 150hz lo pass with a bit of dry signal mixed in.
All settings done with turbo option off.
http://www.dagoosemusic.nl/temp/sslbling/ssltest.wav

Same track but with some knob movements, lo pass, hi pass, thrust, turbo in/out etc just to show how different the sound can be without touching release/attack/ratio/threshold but just flipping in filters and turbo.
http://www.dagoosemusic.nl/temp/sslbling/ssltest2.wav

RedNoise said:
Hi dagoose!!
Impressive built!!!!ya rock....
May I ask where did you found those push buttons???(on/off trbo etc ...)
pushbuttons come from a local electronic store which had 'm in stock for years, now they are all gone (guess who..) and the manufacturer doesn't make 'm anymore.

Back