US Census form

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jsteiger said:
pucho812 said:
gotta love the fact I got a letter a week prior to getting the form to say I was getting the form. Then the day I got the form I also got a second letter saying I have not filled out the form yet. wast of postage if they get charged for that.
That was what I was saying. I'm sure they have to pay for the postage. After all, isn't the USPS broke???

The shop across the biz park from me just went BK about 2 months ago. They repaired and service firetrucks. They had so many local municipalities screwing them, they had no cash flow and had to close. That is pathetic. These guys were busy all the time and our local Government basically put them out of business. Then you see a news story about all the surplus money that the local municipalities have for local road maintenance and construction. It was unreal.

Supposedly the census is using USPO barcode information to computer track who has responded, so the post card should not be sent until a suitable time after the original form was mailed, and only if a response is not found in the system. Of course if the original hasn't been delivered, it can't be responded to yet. 

In any operation of this scale I'm sure there are sacks of census forms that got misdirected or delayed. Based on the budget for this the postage and printing cost is a tiny fraction. I suspect the post office could do 99.9% of this by itself, rather inexpensively, and they're not the sharpest stick in the bunch.

JR

mushy said:
sodderboy said:
PS: what did tea party people do regarding the census?  I missed that one.  Are they huffy because they could not get any of those $18.75 per hour jobs?

http://rawstory.com/rs/2010/0405/tea-party-cost-republicans-census/
http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_room/2010/04/05/census_response
http://www.southernpoliticalreport.com/index.aspx

I knew there was a reason I don't go to websites like that to read other peoples opinions.

Trying to simply characterize the tea party movement, is like trying simply characterize the american public, or at least those who pay taxes and pay attention. Since there is no single tea party, there is no official spokesman or platform. Many are hoping and trying to co-opt this movement for their own ends. My sense is it is a true grass roots movement that is individuals rising up in response to government excesses, and not some organized effort sponsored by groups already in power. 

It's amusing to watch all the attempts to discredit it as a movement, but I expect them (I don't consider myself one) to be a force in November. The public doesn't like being taken for granted and belittled. They made political statements in VA, NJ, MA, and if anything are gaining strength not fading away.

We the people...etc.  If those in power ignore them, they will likely suffer political consequences. 

JR

PS: My apologies for foisting my own opinions on ya'll... I try to deal in matters of fact as much as possible.

JohnRoberts said:
Scodiddly said:
JohnRoberts said:
This is just a glowing example of the gross mismanagement, and gamesmanship whenever government takes the reins over anything.

Indeed.  We should get out of the war business as well - two wars still going on from the previous administration, both been going badly for several years now.  That's a hell of a lot of money we could put to better use in our own country.

Funny, war is the one thing IMO too important to sub contract out, The Brit's used merc's against us in our little squabble and that tuned out poorly for them.

OK, so are you changing your position?  Your quote at the top here seems to indicate that you believe that the government will screw up anything it runs.  Now you're saying these two wars, which have both lasted longer than WWII, are *not* the result of everything you're accusing the government of being?

Scodiddly said:
JohnRoberts said:
Scodiddly said:
JohnRoberts said:
This is just a glowing example of the gross mismanagement, and gamesmanship whenever government takes the reins over anything.

Indeed.  We should get out of the war business as well - two wars still going on from the previous administration, both been going badly for several years now.  That's a hell of a lot of money we could put to better use in our own country.

Funny, war is the one thing IMO too important to sub contract out, The Brit's used merc's against us in our little squabble and that tuned out poorly for them.

OK, so are you changing your position?  Your quote at the top here seems to indicate that you believe that the government will screw up anything it runs.  Now you're saying these two wars, which have both lasted longer than WWII, are *not* the result of everything you're accusing the government of being?

No, not inconsistent..  Politicians are terrible at war, as evidenced by the history. That's why we hire generals, they are good at war. There are several interesting examples of this in Sun Tzu's, The Art of War, but we don't need to get into the business of warfare.  The trouble is generals are too good at war, to be allowed to pick their own wars, so they need civilian oversight. But the civilian leadership needs to tell them the objective, give them the resources, then get the hell out of their way.

Iraq was arguably ill informed, especially the civilian management of it, since we (Rumsfeld) tried to do it on the cheap, and diverted resources needed to finish Afghanistan prolonging that train wreck. The only thing worse than they job they did, would be losing, which almost happened. For us losing pretty much means giving up, so our public's will to see this through is what matters. That's why the terrorists go for the gory visuals to play well on the news.  We haven't walked away from a fight since Viet Nam (and Lebanon, and the Cole bombing, and a few embassy bombings.), and I hope we don't start doing that again. Despite the very flawed start, Iraq appears stable and on a good track now.

As bad as our politicians are, their actual job is protecting their citizens and national interest. Appeasement only delays the inevitable, and I don't see someone waiting in the wings to step up, if we give the sundry bad actors cart blanche to run amok in lawless regions. Perhaps if they (government) weren't trying to do so much, they would be better at their important work, and wouldn't cause so much other mischief with their tinkering.

Of course opinions vary.

JR

OK, I caught this on the late news here last night in Chicago. It is slightly off topic but if we are talking about how Government spends our tax dollars, it is "right down the middle".

Make sure you watch to the end where they reveal that any spending under $25K does not have to go out for bid. It's just small potatoes apparently.

Cook County's (Chicago) spending habits. Chuck Goudie reports. http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/iteam&id=7374284

Jeff

sodderboy said:
Scott,
Sot the politics!  Did you ever finish your bluetooth field phone?
Mike

Oh yeah, I did!  Don't tell me forgot to post here about that...  ???

The only problem is that I got a much better-sounding phone and rarely use the handset now.  Still fun to carry now and then.

Latest posts

Back