Vaccum-tube inspired transistor technology for 460GHz transistors

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vacum! they should sound amazing! I want one to build a super custom mic pre amp, and a guitar fuzz as well!  :eek:

Really intresting etheory, thanks for sharing.

JS

Here is a much better article: http://spectrum.ieee.org/semiconductors/devices/introducing-the-vacuum-transistor-a-device-made-of-nothing

I realize this is neither a vacuum tube, nor something necessarily of interest specifically to audio folk, but I couldn't find any other group I'd rather share a fantastically nerdy link with than here ;-)

It seems like its biggest contribution thus far is speed for computers, which, indirectly, kind of helps the audio industry ;)
It could possibly also be less temperature and radiation sensitive that a standard silicon transistor, which could be a very interesting property also.

I vaguely recall seeing an article about solid state tube IC technology decades ago in a electronic design magazine, so the concept is not that new. Apparently when you make a small, sharp enough point, it doesn't take much energy for electrons to jump off.

It looks like they have made progress toward commercializing this.

JR

Back