VCA compressor

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

RogerFoote

Actually, it looks really interesting. I am working on a PCB design as we speak.

Thanks for reminding me of this data sheet Buttachunk.

I think it's interesting too!

however.. after taking one of my dbx 266 apart I'm pretty sure that it's almost identical to the datasheet.. ne5532s and That ICs inside.. a decent box! I modded mine for feedback instead of feedforward and it sounds much better.

might be worth just buying one of those for 250$ and just using it.

:thumb:

oh ok Butta, for some reason i thought you meant to put them in a box but re-reading what you wrote I see what you *really* meant now! :oops:

I want to take part in this too! thinking about it I do need tiny compressors in some of my channels. I have a few extra sends that I never use and i could use the holes for those pots for compressor tweakers.

I don't suppose this would be SMD would it? :green:

I would still need to make it as small as possible, probably less than 2"x2" and running on +-18.

:green: :thumb:

[quote author="RogerFoote"]

"Seperate attack and release adjustments are not possible within the constraints of rms response."[/quote]

True, strictly speaking. That Corp. are big proponents of RMS detection.

Here's the sole example they give for variable A/R:

http://www.thatcorp.com/datashts/dn115.pdf

It also has the non linear cap on the timing port, not "RMS" either.

The 4301 will work here and would be nearly a one-chip solution.

How about rms/peak option? Only a few more components:

http://www.thatcorp.com/datashts/dn101.pdf

A detection circuit shouldn't be that hard to do I don't think. honestly I think we could buffer then feed some diodes to a small value cap. this would allow some sort of threshold as we adjust what goes into the buffer.. for release we could adjust how much signal charges the cap.. attack could be set by setting up a pot between pre-processed signal(feed forward) and processed signal (feedback). this would give us a little adjustability between a superfast attack and a slightly laggy attack. might be good enough to work, but i don't know about sound good.. we'll have to proto it and see.

Just some ideas that came to me..

EDIT:

ok i actually went back to the THAT datasheet for peak detection and that is almost exactly what I had in mind!

I bet it will work!

You would still need to come up with the 6mv/dB that the VCA needs to see at the control port. The That detector still does the scaling when used in peak mode.

:oops: sorry i am a little late to the game here but any chance of a single sided version for us etchers?

If not no worries I'll lay one out when i get a chance.

well I'm pretty lazy too but my main setback is work schedule.. I'm pretty busy most of the time so it would take me a little while to get around to it..

So if you are going to offer these in kit form for fairly cheap I would certainly just buy a few of those as i'd probably not get a layout done anytime soon.

Lookin' good Roger...

Not sure, check your sym resistor, looks like it's across to the E+ port instead of ground. Can you put up a bigger pic of the layout? I look it over too, if you like.

How about bringing pin 5 out to a pad? Then you can stereo strap or monkey with the timing in RMS mode.

[quote author="RogerFoote"] I set this up for peak mode. That uses the EC+ port and EC- is gnd'ed. Followed dn101 for that, but had to find the diagram for using the EC+ port in the data sheet for the 4301, pg7/ fig13.

I will look at pad 5 also. One thought was to just remove the cap and make a small switch pcb like on the GSSL or G1176 connected where the cap was and mount the timing caps on the switch pcb. Thoughts?

I thought the pic was small too, but I clicked on it and it loaded a bigger one, did you try that?[/quote]

Ah..., I've never used the E+ port before, good to know that. Though you could just as easily drive OA2's inverting input with a resistor and use the E- port.

As far as pin 5, I guess there's no point switching out the cap in peak mode ( as it states its small to disable the logging filter; swapping the peak timing cap would be a better idea (or maybe resistor R4?). Pin 5 is a traditional tie point for the stereo mode, though then you would have to be able to trim the detector input plus or minus 3db...

The pic opens a little small for me to see some details, but it works...

Not sure what you mean. You would still need a detector for each channel for stereo, right?

The second picture worked fine for me, RF ( I'm a bit red/green challenged).

It traces out fine, I think. The only things I can see are a 2meg that's not there from comp wiper to v- (unless you were going to put it on the pot), and you didn't bother with the sym pot, which I think is fine.

The only suggestions would be maybe realigning the potentiometer pads and add extra V+/V- pads for them to make wiring to the pots a little easier.

Oh, and how about a couple of doides across the power inputs for chip safety?

Other than that, I think your good to go.

Who do you use for your boards?

Hi all,

For those looking at RMS and peak detection in one design, have a look at this thread:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=12025

This design also uses the That4301.

Nice to see this chips being used in the Lab, they are small, cheap and versatile...

Enjoy!

Rogy

looks good
I too am now interested
the peak dectection angle could lend itself to IEM systems
I take it that you are still refering to the application note

Man, you guys rock. I hope they come out sounding good. It would be great to use these on channel inserts I think. If the kits are cheap I'll pick up a few of them.

Matt

Thanks Roger,

That link is like finding the sequel to a great book. I think you can tell I just sit and search for things to read on here. Hours per day. My wife hates me. :shock: :shock: :grin:

Matt

Back