Veer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do they use techniques like triangulation to zoom in on the exact location?
WWW said:
Acoustic sensors are strategically placed in a coverage area. When a gun is fired, the sensors detect shots fired. Audio triangulation pinpoints gunfire location and machine-learning algorithms analyze the sound. Likely gunshots are transmitted to the Incident Review Center.
===
Systems used in urban settings integrate a geographic information system so the display includes a map and address location of each incident. Some indoor gunfire detection systems utilize detailed floor plans with detector location overlay to show shooter locations on an app or web based interface.

results from a quick web search

JR

I moved these to clean up the square wave thread, while that may be impossible.
======
Managing gun violence in cities is not obviously fixable with technology, there are other factors contributing to the increase of violence.

Years ago I had crazy idea for protecting against guns and bombs by generating a RF(?) field that would explode ammo and bombs, basically making it unhealthy to be near such things.

Sadly even my impossible hypothetical solution would not have helped prevent the terror attack recently that used bow and arrows. Killing 5 people in Norway.

JR

And those people were actually killed with 2 knifes, after the perpetrator had exhausted all the arrows.
Yes that has been reported in the news... Perhaps we should outlaw knives? :rolleyes: Only half kidding, japan has strict knife laws more recently because of some ugly knife work on a train. But Japanese swords (katanas) have been banned since 1876 (when the warrior class was banned).

Perhaps we can ban mental illness....

JR

PS; The 9/11 hijackers use box cutters that have blades only a few inches long.

As I understand it there is one company doing it and it hasn't been particularly successful. A substantial portion of municipalities that signed up for it haven't renewed the contract.

Just wait. Soon the Governor of Texas guarantees there won't be any rape in Texas. Shouldn't be too difficult to include mental illness and jaywalking.
Gov Abbot actually said said:
“Rape is a crime, and Texas will work tirelessly to make sure we eliminate all rapists from the streets of Texas by aggressively going out and arresting them and prosecuting them and getting them off the streets. So goal no. 1 in the state of Texas is to eliminate rape so that no woman, no person, will be a victim of rape,”

Do you have a problem with his goal?

This seems to be spin about TX abortion law. This is all a very unpleasant business, there needs to be some kinder middle ground.

JR

I didn't want to take this exit. Of course I have pondered this for decades and there are no easy answers.

I agree government needs to stay out of both sides of this argument.

JR

If you have family.

And if they are the kind of people who could be of help in case of rape.

That's why there needs to be professional help. Not a task for police, even when they are often the first responders. And that help needs to work with police, to avoid losing evidence. An MD, fi is neither an evidence collector, nor a psychologist.

In some cases, that's long-term help. Some victims never recover. Rare cases don't need professional help. They're strong enough, but they are the exception.

And who will organise that professional help, if it's not the govt? I think it's clear to see it's not a task for religion, nor for the justice system.

Govt should leave the opportunity for anyone else to step in but should provide professional help, even if it's only in case where no other help is available.

If you have family.

And if they are the kind of people who could be of help in case of rape.
I was talking about abortion not rape... rape is obviously a crime.

We got a recent reminder about modern society, a sexual assault occurred on a SEPTA train in Philadelphia, while multiple onlookers recorded it on their phones, instead of calling police or helping the woman.

When onlookers just watch, it reinforces the need for police.

There was an iconic case back in 1964 (Kitty Genovese ). Reportedly 38 neighbors ignored her screams for help. Now street violence is becoming increasingly common. There was another iconic case of vigilantism in 1984 when an individual (Bernhard Goetz) shot 4 young men on a subway who allegedly tried to rob him. Public sentiment was mixed but he ended up serving 8 months.

JR
That's why there needs to be professional help. Not a task for police, even when they are often the first responders. And that help needs to work with police, to avoid losing evidence. An MD, fi is neither an evidence collector, nor a psychologist.

In some cases, that's long-term help. Some victims never recover. Rare cases don't need professional help. They're strong enough, but they are the exception.

And who will organise that professional help, if it's not the govt? I think it's clear to see it's not a task for religion, nor for the justice system.

Govt should leave the opportunity for anyone else to step in but should provide professional help, even if it's only in case where no other help is available.

We got a recent reminder about modern society, a sexual assault occurred on a SEPTA train in Philadelphia, while multiple onlookers recorded it on their phones, instead of calling police or helping the woman.

Here in Germany those people would themselves have commited a crimes by not calling the police or helping her otherwise within their limits (casual bystanders do not have to put themselves in danger). Recording the incident could have been a crime, unless it was in order to gather evidence.

As for the Kitty Genovese case, there were serious problems with the reporting at the time, probably not a good case to develop generalized ideas from.

In the US overall violent crime is far lower than it was at the height of the 80s-90s crime spree. With rape the massive jump in the numbers in the 2010s reflects a different reporting behaviour and maybe even changes in the law regarding consent.

But it's clear that we live in interesting times in terms of economy, inequality, the long-term debt cycle, political polarization, media oversaturation etc. I fear there is a lot more turbulence ahead.

Here in Germany those people would themselves have commited a crimes by not calling the police or helping her otherwise within their limits (casual bystanders do not have to put themselves in danger). Recording the incident could have been a crime, unless it was in order to gather evidence.
I don't know that their behavior rises to a crime here but they have invited a huge karma smackdown. I hope embarrassing pictures of them taking pictures gets shared all over ever-present social media.
As for the Kitty Genovese case, there were serious problems with the reporting at the time, probably not a good case to develop generalized ideas from.
it was impactful on the popular culture at the time and stimulated dialog about appropriate responses. I have lived in cities before and it is human nature in densely populated areas to not get involved with fellow citizens. I have lived in apartment buildings without even knowing all my fellow tenants living in the same building.

Related legislation (good samaritan laws) protect citizens from legal culpability if they try to help people in distress and inadvertently cause harm. These laws were passed specifically to encourage bystanders to step up and help people in distress.
In the US overall violent crime is far lower than it was at the height of the 80s-90s crime spree. With rape the massive jump in the numbers in the 2010s reflects a different reporting behaviour and maybe even changes in the law regarding consent.
Crime stats are a bit of political football. The pendulum has swung making the politicians who legislated long mandatory prison terms decades ago that did reduce crime, to now trying to empty prisons. Progressive prosecutors in liberal cities are refusing to prosecute actual crimes. This will surely make reported crime numbers look better, but there is a public cost from removing disincentives to prevent future crimes. No (prison) time why not do the crime? In SF being caught shoplifting less than $950 only gets a misdemeanor citation.

For an example plucked from the news. The miscreant who raped that woman on the train in PA was arrested multiple times. He was put in immigration detention for overstaying his student visa but not deported because a board of immigration appeals found that his sex abuse misdemeanor arrest wasn't a serious crime.
But it's clear that we live in interesting times in terms of economy,
The economy is trying to recover despite some authoritarian over reach.
inequality,
inequality is the natural order.
the long-term debt cycle,
Sovereign debt is hitting new records but don't worry President Biden promises his massive new spending bill will not increase debt, in fact he says it will be a tax cut. (I want some of what he's smoking).
political polarization,
I am pretty sure politics always was polarized, but it used to keep in its own lane. Now partisan politics has inserted itself into almost every aspect of modern life (like an audio circuit design forum). ;)
media oversaturation etc.
Media saturation will be self correcting as people tune out. I don't recall mainstream media ever being so openly partisan. They used to at least pretend to be objective.
I fear there is a lot more turbulence ahead.
Sadly I agree... there are activists working hard to disrupt western civilization, and useful idiots helping them from inside.

I remain optimistic that calmer voices will prevail, but it doesn't look like any time soon.

JR

I was talking about abortion not rape... rape is obviously a crime.

There was an iconic case back in 1964 (Kitty Genovese ). Reportedly 38 neighbors ignored her screams for help. Now street violence is becoming increasingly common. There was another iconic case of vigilantism in 1984 when an individual (Bernhard Goetz) shot 4 young men on a subway who allegedly tried to rob him. Public sentiment was mixed but he ended up serving 8 months.

JR

It's the same difference.

Abortion is also a crime, according to some, at least.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for personal freedom. Especially in the case of abortion. But, again, if there's no family to help with the psychological aftermath of an abortion, who will help?

I just don't like personal freedom misused as an argument to limit strictly needed rules.

And that religious belief in personal freedom is what's killing US govt. They can't get it right, cause half the population is always against anything they do.

Personal freedom starts with with "personal" for a reason. We're not all the same, nor do we have the same needs. My freedom ends where your freedom starts.

A boutade explains it better, perhaps: abortion shouldn't even be discussed by males. They cannot understand what it's about.

The same goes for innocent bystanders not reacting to violence. Naturally, most of us are inclined to help others. In some cases, however, the law needs to be able to punish those who refused to help. I'm under the impression that, at least in some US cities, the need to help has been erased by the need for personal safety. That's a clear lack of community spirit, killed off by polarisation.

Polarisation starts with people complaining about everything their govt does. If YOUR govt can't do anything right, the path to civil war is clear.

And seeing how awfully big the gun manufacturers' power is, I'm afraid democracy has been sold off a long time ago, turning into a charade that's run by lobbyists. Hell, those gun manufacturer's would love to see civil war. Their money is elsewhere and has been for a very long time. So are their manufacturing assets and they themselves can move to another country in a jiffy if needed.

Back