veers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fort Bragg is in NC. Fort Jackson is in SC.
[Fort Bragg is in NC. Fort Jackson is in SC.] -- You're right!!! I was initially sent to Fort Jackson, SC before being sent to Ft. Gordon in Georgia. Since all of that stuff has happened over 50-years ago and I really haven't thought about it much since then, my aging memory got the information fuzzed-out and mixed-up. SORRY 'BOUT THAT!!! "THANK YOU!!" for catching and correcting my error. My internal memory banks have now been properly re-programmed, so the next time that I ever recall this old memory, I will correctly remember the name of the first military base I had been to. THANKS!!!

/

Accuracy is important. During the Vietnam era Fort Bragg was home to Airborne and SOF forces while Fort Jackson was (and still is) a primary center for initial entry and basic training of US Army personnel. Sorry if I pissed in your cornflakes.

During the 60s the army had multiple regional basic training facilities. I grew up in NJ so got sent to Ft Dix for basic. As I shared I was one of a small handful from my basic training company who didn't get sent to AIT (advanced infantry training). About half of the AIT group got sent to Ft Polk, LA and the other half went to Ft Ord, CA.

There is lots of stuff I don't remember from back then. As the old saying goes, if you remember the 60s you weren't really there. Its a joke, I was in Boston during the 60s (definitely a there) and I remember a bunch, but not as much as I did yesterday. ;)

JR

Don't ask a question when you already know the answer. :ROFLMAO:
I remain optimistic that we all have much more in common than not.

Politics makes some people irrational and some political operatives stir that pot to keep us from realizing our common interests.

I will continue to try to nudge us all in the right direction. As one huge bouncer once told me "It's nice to be nice". His size contained the implied threat to do as he suggested.

JR

What is the life expectancy of Putin's opposition, who speak truth to power?

JR

Sometimes, a quick death is preferential...

Imagine being kept in Guantanamo Bay for years without any reason. And then exported to some former Eastern European country willing to take you for a dollar. No family. No friends. Nothing left...

Still, when the Chinese can afford to buy our ultra-right nationalist party, what is really left of our democratic principles?

Ow, sorry, different thread.

Sometimes, a quick death is preferential...

Imagine being kept in Guantanamo Bay for years without any reason. And then exported to some former Eastern European country willing to take you for a dollar. No family. No friends. Nothing left...

Still, when the Chinese can afford to buy our ultra-right nationalist party, what is really left of our democratic principles?

Ow, sorry, different thread.
And happy Sunday to you.

JR

To you too, John. You probably know I'm not religious, so these ancient habits don't mean a lot to me. I just finished working, which is my preferred Sunday passtime.

To you too, John. You probably know I'm not religious, so these ancient habits don't mean a lot to me.
It is interesting how long these ancient habits have persisted. One could speculate that there must be something appealing to humans from the practice.
Marx said:
Karl Marx: "Religion is the opium of the people." In context, the statement is part of Marx's analysis that religion's role is as a metaphysical balm for the real suffering in the universe and in society

My sense is that moderate practice of religion is generally positive or harmless to the population. Of course there are numerous examples of extreme behavior claiming to be authorized by several of the world's religions.

My personal experience is that some people really want/need someone to tell them what to think and what to do. Attending church (or whatever) generally fills that void.

I just finished working, which is my preferred Sunday passtime.
I try to take saturdays and sundays off. I have committed to an exercise program of 5 days on, 2 days off. I alternate my exercise program to 3 sessions of resistance training, 2 sessions on my airdyne.

Today for my day of rest I plan to do my taxes, while I am in full procrastination mode so far.

JR

Roe v. Wade disagrees. :)
Roe v. Wade was overturned as being unconstitutional. That move by SCOTUS returns this decision to the individual states to decide. This seems appropriate. That said this is being used as a campaign issue to demonize the right this year, as being anti-women's rights. Since the political operators behind the curtain continue to stir this pot, I can't claim as man this does not affect me (who gets elected this year affects all of us).
[edit getting abortion issues on the ballot this year will generate higher female voter turnout. The ASSumption is that this will help the democratic party, so be aware of this political manipulation. /edit]

I lean toward the general abortion practice in Europe that is more developed than here. There most abortions occur during the first trimester, 3 months, while laws vary between countries allowing it for up to 18 or 24 weeks. All allow exceptions after that time for circumstances like the mother's health being in danger. This all seems reasonable while I do not have a uterus in this game.

I will discount attempts to politicize this during a national election as low, team politics. Do not expect thoughtful discussions about this, just short over-simplified generalizations, painting with words to win votes.

JR

PS; I moved these posts into this veer thread to not clutter the anti-covid vaccine screed. :rolleyes:

PPS: I have a theory about the current efforts to discredit all religions, they want the "sheeple" religious followers to instead believe and follow the political operatives.

Last edited:
So, lemme see...

Your post about Putin was not a veer? It was relevant to COVID? Odd...
You got me there.... :rolleyes: The Putin reference was in response to a slight offered to discredit Tucker Carlson.

I just tried to move my post and about a half dozen others over here, but they appear lost in forum deep space, no great loss. They may show up back there again, or moved somewhere else. [edit- looks like they showed up)

Sorry if I trigger you... I wish you guys were this critical of mainstream media.

JR

PS: thanks for helping me avoid doing my taxes.

Last edited:
whatever? You mean they can't get their fix by attending work, or the military, school, jail.,the voting booth..?lol
I've told this story before but years ago when I was still reading a local paper on sundays because it had a decent funnies section, I was inspired to write a letter to the editor when some bubba complained about teaching evolution in the schools. He blamed the deterioration of children's behavior on that teaching. I wrote a letter to the editor stating that evolution was accepted science and they need to be teaching it to children in schools.

Since my phone number was in the local phone book, one reader of my letter called me at my home. He was upset because his religious leaders had told him that evolution was not true. He was asking me who should he believe? 🤔

I told him to disregard my letter, believe his church.:rolleyes:

I was afraid I would be explaining everything to him for the foreseeable future (stuff like solar eclipses). ;)

JR

Latest posts

Back