veers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The trouble with protests the last few decades is, you can't annoy the powers that be.

Years ago, a farmer's protest would block the companies who used the farmer's products. Or the politicians who took decisions.

These days, the politicians are puppets on a string and the owners of the factory are unknown. So all that's left, is annoying the end user. But the end user has no power.

Example: the "NO OIL" protesters. Essentially they are right. But the people in their cars, trucks or buses have no say in the matter. So the "NO OIL" protesters not only get no result, they also get average people mad at them while the oil companies are far away and unaffected. No wonder the protesters are gone already.

Today, one viral post or video has more impact than weeks of protests on the road. That's an evident danger, because someone in marketing or an AI will figure out how to make viral posts, but the knowledge will stay in the hands of it's owner.

I don't generally watch SNL for humor but last night they took a few shots at the antisemitism crowd. On their fake news "Weekend Update" sketch they had an actual Rabbi on the desk and asked her "if she was there who is controlling the weather?". There was another space lasers joke that might have been edited down.

I applaud them pushing the limits of humor in these woke times, at least on that one segment.
Missing the point of the segment. The joke is that Jost and Che are forcing each other to read each others' cringy, hacky, immoral "jokes" on air for the first time specifically to embarass each other.
It's also wildly disingenuous to try to equate specifically far-right anti-semitic tropes with "woke" - remember when MTG was widely mocked for her Jewish space lasers comment?
LOL "in these woke times..."

Missing the point of the segment. The joke is that Jost and Che are forcing each other to read each others' cringy, hacky, immoral "jokes" on air for the first time specifically to embaRrass each other.
duh.... The "news update" sketch has always been looking for ways to remain edgy. Do you recall back in 1977 when Jane Curtain ripped open her blouse?

I used this for an example of poking fun at ignorant antisemitic protestors like the students who walked out on Jerry Seinfeld's commencement speech. Jerry stopped performing on college campuses years ago because of their compromised sense of humor, and Jerry is not an edgy comedian.

Speaking of them trying to embarrass each other Jost is married to Scarlett Johansson so he was given a joke to read making fun of her.
It's also wildly disingenuous to try to equate specifically far-right anti-semitic tropes with "woke" - remember when MTG was widely mocked for her Jewish space lasers comment?
I have even seen tropes bumped about things like jewish space lasers, and jews controlling all international wealth recently in this forum.
==
For more laughs look at MTG and AOC doing a "mean girls" imitation in congress. There is no IQ test to get into congress and the house of representatives is called the "lower" house for a reason. 🤔 It is closer to the immediate concerns of the public so routinely addresses popular social topics.
LOL "in these woke times..."
Thanks for (?)'splainin that to me...

I remain hopeful that identity politics will run its course and fall out of fashion. That said the partisan dividers seem pretty comfortable using it.

The ignorance of some campus protestors are rich material for humor, but i won't go there so I don't trigger even more forum members.

JR

Latest posts

Back