VOX AC 15 DIY

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJ

GDIY Supporter
going after an old 1960 Vox with 6BQ5's or EL84's depending on what side you butter your toast,

got a Fisher 600 OPT , shock mounted socket for the EF86 pentode preamp tube and some ussr surplus radiation contaminated ceramic sockets for the tubes that carry the heat and some Belton 9 pins for tubes that you have you use a crowbar to remove, wtf?

vox 1.jpg

Last edited:
front panel, complete with copyright infringement,

still debating on the 3 way switch for vibrato speed or a 1 meg pot,

got a tv model cabinet built for one 12"

any suggestions on a speaker? blue alnico? nice but $$$ and a long break in to get rid of the ice pick hi end, celestion creamback gets mostly positive reviews,

Attachments

• vox 3.jpg
    vox 3.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 5
Re: Speaker suggestion. I like the weber blue dog, but I haven't bought one in quite a while. I see they're kind of expensive now ~$245. If you go that route, make sure to spec, at least, the light doping (unless you enjoy cone cry):)

I have a scumnico paired with a weber alnico blue in my AC30 and it sounds great. I usually mic up the scumnico side, FWIW. I've also used the scumnico on it's own in my Vox Pacemaker tube version (poor man's AC15) and it definitely keeps the ice picks in check and sounds great. Looks like all speakers are $$$ these days. Modern blue's don't do it for me.

Awesome looking build CJ!

Haven’t heard about Jupiter speakers. I have celestion H and M. Old and last esr speakers were some 10” alnico from Weber for a tweed Princeton built wich worked well. Speakers are ver expensive. I what to try a cream back. Still expensive.

I tried out a creamback recently. Amazon threw it loose in a box so it got a little broken in on shipment lol. But I tried it out before returning it.
Maybe it would have chilled out with more time, but it wasn't as nice as the scumback M75 I was thinking of putting it in for. Decided to keep the scumback
A friend just bought a Celestion alinico blue and I'm looking forward to hearing it.

Cool AC15 - will watch with interest - I've wanted to do a Vox inspired build for sometime.

Eminence Red Fang (blue clone) is another Alnico option, but it might be hard to track one down since they went out of production some years back. It's a very efficient speaker (103dB 1W/1m) which may or may not be what you want. I have one paired with a Wizard (G12H30 clone IIRC) in a big Fender style open back cab. Loud.

That build deserves a nice speaker.

I have some old fane 12” that are like 96db 1w. I’m liking less efficient these days. My H30s are 99db and I love the tone but I just don’t need loud all the time. 103db would be smoking high level. There was a speaker made by eminence that had some kind of adjustable magnet structure physically moving. And of course there is a company making field coil speakers with adjustable efficiency like down to 80db. That would be cool to keep the tubes grinding and lower efficiency with out screwing with dampening factor like with an attenuator

I started on a Vox type amp build (sort of a 15W version of a DC30 or Trinity TC15) about a couple years ago. Bought the parts, made the turret board but then got side tracked. Just now getting back to it.

On the speaker subject, here is a decent Alnico for a little less $ that lives below the radar. I'm currently using it in my homemade '65 Deluxe style amp (built in a 5E3 chassis/cabinet). Sounds very good to my ears.

https://avatarspeakers.com/shop/speakers/avatarhellatone/hellatone-a50-alnico/
Lastly, I just recently learned about this new company, supposedly started by a couple of the main guys from Eminence. Demos sound pretty good. ToneSpeak | Guitar Speakers By Musicians For Musicians

Latest posts

Back