VOX Beatle

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree on FF circuits.  The best sound comes from riding your guitar volume. 

I have a Vox Royal Guardsman from the same era.  It needs the caps replaced  at least.  I've wanted to tear into it,  but then read all the  mad replies from people that cuss the build quality once inside the head.   

Great patients is required with an easy  handling of the cards/wires.    Nice Work CJ!

a real challenge here, took an hour just to get everything unbolted, ::)

but hey...jus sayin...
I just Started my V1143 restoration project and really appreciate the work and posting you have here. The Beatle Super Reverb I have was given to me after being found (disassembled) in a dirt room. I replaced the diodes in the ( power supply ) Rectifier circuit yesterday and SB and Operate lamps lit up. No audio yet. I found a cross for the Output transistors and will replace then on arrivial. This head was a total basket case piece of Sh_t. The friend who gave the amp to me found the back panel today (with S/N) , so my interest in completing this amp is high. Thanks again for you posting of docs and info. gmack

Attachments

• Beatle w Back Panel.jpg
    Beatle w Back Panel.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Heres a great demonstration of what one of the transistor Voxes should sound like , courtesy of Johnny ,
It has an overdrive circuit with diode clipping as far as I remember ,
I got a Conquerer in for repair years and years back , cant remember the fault now , but I got it going .

Thank you Sir for this cool video. The V1143 has a unique sound. I had also forgotten Jonny Winters great vocals- man, that guy could play and sing.

During a close inspection (after Rectifier rebuild) I noticed what I thought was a diode leg under one of the big filter caps. It turned out to be a sewing straight pin. This was possibly the source of Fuse blow outs. At any rate, the Power supply wiill now light up the control section and I will wait on arrival of some new Output Transistors. I'm still into this project at $16.00 and still cautious about the budget.

Attachments

• Beatle w Pin.jpg
    Beatle w Pin.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 2
Is there any information on how to identify components on the main PCB when the none are marked on the board. I can make an educated guess but it's a slow process. The primary problem right now is (no audio after/before new power output transistors installed.) The V1143 has Standby and Operate power but no audio out of power amp (not even a buzz.) I will slog along with voltage checks at Test points tomorrow. (Caps under main PCB board were replaced today)

It is a total pain to try and figure out parts location on that thing,

You can do a dmm junction test on all the preamp transistors real quick, but some of them are FETs.

Check power supply voltages if you get no noise out of the SPK jacks.

Back