want to get in to DIY some outboard, can someone point me in a direction?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rasseru

Hi there,  I want to get into DIY the sort of outboard i could never afford..   

I can solder well (patchbay leads x200) but have otherwise not much experience bar making a simple ring mod. 

I could go to thonk and do some module kits, but i have zero interest in them - i want to build EQs and Compressors, does anyone know what would be something really simple to start out with? something full kit with good instructions and isnt using dangerous currents?

cheers!

I would say the Gyraf units are a good place to start. Easy to build and plenty of support. The G-SSL for instance is a must IMO.
Another good item is a 1176 from Hairball-audio. A bit more difficult ot build but very rewarding!

funny enough it was a 4000 clone that got built for me that has started this whole train of thought :)

i could always do with another couldnt i  ;D

+1 for the Hairball 1176 kits. There's probably more information and "support" for them than any other DIY audio project out there! The instructions are thorough, and the threads on this forum are long and detailed.

excellent news.  The hairball kit is priced really nice as well!  i'll get on it once ive settled in my new flat

Back