Watch the neve connector

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

Read this elsewhere. A person built  some 16 neve 1084 clones and used an external psu. The external psu connected to the rack chassis housing the neve clones with using an iec connector.
Low and behold months later, a person hooked up chassis to the mains power by accident.
120vac went through to the chassis and ultimately the neve clones.  They did extensive repair work and all is back to working. I attached a photo to showcase a small sample of their handy work. 😬😬🙈

Attachments

• 0786D0E6-C1F5-4D7D-B81D-EB9F9534D963.jpeg
    0786D0E6-C1F5-4D7D-B81D-EB9F9534D963.jpeg
    114.9 KB · Views: 116
It looks like it went to hell, and back  ;D

Wow, that J-con looks like a perfect candidate for disaster lol.
Stick one end in the wall socket, leave the other end dangling at the patchbay.

Just wait for it  ;D

PermO said:
Wow, that J-con looks like a perfect candidate for disaster lol.
Stick one end in the wall socket, leave the other end dangling at the patchbay.

Just wait for it  ;D

Reminds me of something from years ago.  A new bench tech built various cables for his setup.  One was a RCA male plug on the end of a 2-wire extension cord.  He called it "My phono preamp test cable."  <g>

Bri

This will help the builder understand why do safety regulations exist.

Even if built for personal use, safety guidelines exist for a reason.

Hope those transformers were not killed.

Brian Roth said:
IEC for DC powering, eh?  Reminds me of the J-Con system.  See attachment.

Bri

that is exactly what I said, when I first saw this elsewhere.
You probably know this but J-con stood for jesus christ of nazareth. When they were at aes, that one and only year, the moment I found out what j-con stood for, I told them flat out  that using their stuff could  have people meeting them sooner then expected.

when i worked for a studio in town, they had repaired all the weller solder station bases with xlr and had xlr at the solder iron as well.  It was done before my stint there and I never gave it a thought until one day one of the new guys was like "What mic is that? I never seen one like that before." I was fortunate  to have been asked before it got used as a mic. I immediately changed the weller  sation bases and irons to  the proper connector. 

Back in the punk age, I had a friend whose long mains cables were also used for speaker cables on occasion, with a jack to mains plug adapter. One day, someone plugged a Bose 802 into the mains...

Fortunately, the mains fuse blew immediately. That 802 survived, much to my surprise. I could see the dust blowing out of it's air filters.

The same friend also used to build dimmers into wooden crates. Like the ones used for oranges. One day, one of those caught fire.

Latest posts

Back