Web Hosting

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Roth

For many years, I've been using GoDaddy as both my domain registrar as well as my hosting service.

Seems that every year, their web hosting prices have been creeping up....this year is no exception.  My crappy website is very simple...mainly just a way for folks to find me.

Before I renew, looking for good (and bad...to be AVOIDED!) alternatives.  Thanks!

Bri

I've used Dreamhost in the past with no problems. It's around $110 a year for a domain name + hosting, any extra domains after that is $10 each (uses a separate directory on your server).

I've tried just about all of them for one project or another.  I highly recommend: www.hostgator.com
Having said that, I think any 'shared hosting' plan will similarly suck, regardless of host.  Hosting has become such a diluted, commoditized business, that pretty much everyone's prices are the same.  Customer service is really the only variable these days--Dedicated server and VPS customers will get the priority support, yet shared hosting customers are usually the ones that need the most personalized customer service attention.  Tough business...and everyone has bad days.

I have about 14 clients using icestorm.com for hosting.  The cpanel is amazing, and tech support is great, usually getting to issues within an hour.  I have a couple of clients using godaddy, and its a nightmare to navigate through if you need to setup databases and other things (ive waited as long as 6 hours for a database to be setup with them... icestorm, its instantaneous)  The prices are really good as well.

http://www.neosurge.com/web_hosting.php

use my coupon code 'xohol' for 10% off too.

i use neosurge for everything i do,  have for 10 years.  The owner is very helpful to me.  Check it out.

Namecheap offers excellent domain registration service for the price, GoDaddy is incredibly shady and I'd transfer over as soon as possible.

Back