Western Electric Interested in Expanding Tube Production

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking at their website it seems that all they make is small quantities 300B tubes. From that I infer they aim mainly at the audiophile market were fashion takes precedence over function, and price is not an issue. I doubt they could produce the tubes I use at a price I am prepared to pay.

Cheers

Ian

Looking at their website it seems that all they make is small quantities 300B tubes. From that I infer they aim mainly at the audiophile market were fashion takes precedence over function, and price is not an issue. I doubt they could produce the tubes I use at a price I am prepared to pay.

Cheers

Ian

So another wannabe company, like Telefunken USA?

Whatever happened to these guys in the UK that were planning to revive the last tube production plant a few years ago? Aybody follow that?

These guys ?
20220415_094820.jpg
They made some nice tubes and then they quit production....

I've used a pair in a phono preamp... no reason to trow a party, not too bad also.
To my ears (and budget) ....from all current production tubes that are made, nothing beats a Tung Sol.

I just want my Tung Sol's :cry:

Possibly those guys. I don't remember the name, just reading about it. So thanks. Shame they quit.

It's hard, even very hard to get to the quality level some tube manufacturers reached over half a century ago. Might even be impossible. Not only the knowledge is gone, some materials are impossible to find these days.

there were scaled down solid state variants attempting to mimic tube behavior operating with very tiny size scales, but AFAIK never gained much traction, perhaps because they didn't work as hoped.

It seems like powerful DSP processors could effectively model tube transfer mechanism but so what?

There are many patents on cheaper solid state mimics that get 80-90% there, good enough for inexpensive guitar amps.

JR

There are many patents on cheaper solid state mimics that get 80-90% there, good enough for inexpensive guitar amps.
The older I get the less I want to move a tube amp combo. The vibroverb with d130 sounds great but at 68lbs is a nightmare for my back these days.

I think I have about 70% hearing left. So 80% there with say 25lbs and I’m in.

I played a boss nextone amp the other day (tube model chip). and although not the clean sound I’m use to from my vibro, it was a very pleasant experience. The Roland jazz chorus is another kind of clean I enjoy.

Back