What Do I Have Here?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

circuitfreak

Hi, I'mm not sure whether to post on existing thread, or start a new one-I certainly don't want to hijack a thread, so I started a new one. I've read with much interest the One Room Studio Stripped Down U87, and I have bought most of the parts I need to assemble. I bought a donor body off of ebay, but, after receiving it, connecting to my stuff, it sounds really good, too good to use as a donor. It is a Viking/Orpheum 87(?). I've not been able to find out much about it online. Attached are some pics. Can anyone tell me based on experience with this mic, is it any good?

Attachments

• IMG_5276.PNG
    IMG_5276.PNG
    6.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5277.jpg
    IMG_5277.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5278.jpg
    IMG_5278.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Hi, I'mm not sure whether to post on existing thread, or start a new one-I certainly don't want to hijack a thread, so I started a new one. I've read with much interest the One Room Studio Stripped Down U87, and I have bought most of the parts I need to assemble. I bought a donor body off of ebay, but, after receiving it, connecting to my stuff, it sounds really good, too good to use as a donor. It is a Viking/Orpheum 87(?). I've not been able to find out much about it online. Attached are some pics. Can anyone tell me based on experience with this mic, is it any good?
Oh man, inside it is exactly AliEx..
Fake-TLM193.
It seems that the eBay seller has cosmeticized it, painted in a slightly strange white color,
or
he kept the fake Neumann black body for himself ( with Neumann look and logo) and transplanted it into a cheap Ali body and put a logo on it.🤔
If you bought it cheaper than Ali, then it can be reasonable, if it sounds good, no strange frequencies or noise. But @Wordsushi calculated and concluded that it is qualitatively and financially more beneficial to build your own ors87 according to personal tastes.
Anyway, if you're happy with it, that's fine. Maybe post some audio tests so we know how it sounds.
Thank you!

My single point of reference for Chinese-made "u87-style clones in unexpected places" is the faux TLM-103, which has a IC chip in it, as opposed to this copy, so I can't really speak to how good the faux TLM-193/this mic compares to the ORS 87s I've built. But I would assume it's probably a better copy than the 103's circuit. It may possibly only need a capsule upgrade (and maybe re-biasing if it was just built with a stock resistor and not really biased?.

My single point of reference for Chinese-made "u87-style clones in unexpected places" is the faux TLM-103, which has a IC chip in it, as opposed to this copy, so I can't really speak to how good the faux TLM-193/this mic compares to the ORS 87s I've built. But I would assume it's probably a better copy than the 103's circuit. It may possibly only need a capsule upgrade (and maybe re-biasing if it was just built with a stock resistor and not really biased?.
Absolutely all parts, components are Chinese.
Does anyone really think it can sound like a Neumann?

Looks to be a pretty accurate (electrical) clone of a U87 - they even included the capacitance multiplier.
I'm not sure what a capacitance multiplier is, am going to research it. I have built a bunch of audio gear over the last several years, but all from a kit, so I really don't know much about how circuits work. I want to build the ORS project, and in the process, attempt to fully understand how each component affects the circuit as a whole.

Oh man, inside it is exactly AliEx..
Fake-TLM193.
It seems that the eBay seller has cosmeticized it, painted in a slightly strange white color,
or
he kept the fake Neumann black body for himself ( with Neumann look and logo) and transplanted it into a cheap Ali body and put a logo on it.🤔
If you bought it cheaper than Ali, then it can be reasonable, if it sounds good, no strange frequencies or noise. But @Wordsushi calculated and concluded that it is qualitatively and financially more beneficial to build your own ors87 according to personal tastes.
Anyway, if you're happy with it, that's fine. Maybe post some audio tests so we know how it sounds.
Thank you!
The off white color is a result of lighting in my shop. The mic feels like it has some heft to it, and the sound is pretty good-altho I could be hearing with biased ears. I will certainly post an audio clip in the next few days. As far as testing with a scope, or signal gen, I have no idea how.

To my ears, and mine are questionable, it really does sound pretty good...will get an audio clip posted sometime this next week, and hopefully get some constructive feedback.

Latest posts

Back