what is the most effecient way to test an unknown transfmr??

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dramadisease

so i have about 7 of these 'homemade' mic input transformers i found at a surplus store, and 2 utc AH-513 which appear to be input transformers but i dunno what they exactly are, and a slew of other stuff.

with what i have at my disposal (dmm, oscope, function gen, white noise gen) what is the easiest way to plot frequency response, and impedance?
i have some old jensens that i would like to attempt to use as a 'audible reference' since i know what those kinda sound like.

any help is much appreciated
thanks much
-bryan sours

use the ohm meter to pair up all your windings.
pick the set of windings with the lowest resistance.
use the highest resistance pair of wires from the lower resistance set of windings. what i mean is you want the leads or terminals that correspond to the two ends of the winding. obviously this will be the leads with the most resistance between them, the other leads will be any taps that you might have.

inject a 1 volt peak to peak 1 kc signal into the leads you have paired up.
read with the scope what the output voltage is.
don't worry about any termination networks at this point.
read all the voltages on the leads, use the highest voltage to determine your turns ratio.
divide the input voltage by the output voltage. this is your turns ratio.
if they are the same voltage, it is obviously a 1:1 transformer.
if you get 10 times the voltage, you obviously have a step up transformer of some kind, probably a mic to grid type of input transformer.

put a couple of 30 ohm resistors in series with your signal generator.
keep the 1 volt 1kc signal calibrated and do a sweep test.
if it is a half way decent x-former, nothing will happen between about 100 hz and 10 kc.
plot the low and high frequency response.
do it with and without a termination resistor. check for resonant peaks above 10 kc .
check for rolloff below 100 hertz.
check phase shift below 100 hertz.

that's about it, really, unless you want to get into B-H curves, etc.

Is it possible to put a number on the impedances of the windings, that's to say, as any known xfrmr is rated, i.e. 600ohms source to 50Kohm grid, in the case of a mic input xfrmr? I've been reading the xfrmr Z thread; my mathmatical notation as written on the keyboard's less than sterling so I've gotten tripped up in a couple of spots. I'll try to distill what I've understood through quotes. Look for a line of dollar signs where I've stopped ruminating on the Z thread and ask some questions that may actually make some sense in terms of practical testing.

(and please, feel free to refer me to a book, or, even suggest it might not be too important to get a grip on the Z thread to make a close approximation of in/out Z in an fairly easy real time way)

the entire transformer z thread is here:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=1119&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

PRR said:
So if it is wound 1:2, the output voltage is twice the input voltage, and the output current is twice the input current. So the output impedance is 2V/0.5V= 4 times the input impedance. Any other answer violates the same-power in/out fact. (Since there ARE losses, the impedance isn't exactly the square of ratio. The output impedance is a little high due to copper resistance, a little low due to iron losses. Both losses are small in a well designed transformer, and pull in opposite directions, so the output Z is V^2 for most practical purposes.

I've got it all the way to volts^2. Don't know ^.

cj responded a bit down the line:
Impedance, in this case inductive reactance, is given by 6.28 f L.
So you can see that impedance will very with frequency.

I take this to mean 6.28 times frequency time inductance. I understand how impedance increases/decreases from source across the frequency band. Is it the load impedance th

at's variable?

Okay, I'm still rereading PRR's immediate response w/fervent (but perhaps futile:?) hope that it'll sink in. I might as well quote him so there's no need to shuttle between threads:
Say you have a core and winding that is 1 Henry. At 10Hz: 6.28 * 10 * 1H = 63 ohms; at 50Hz: 6.28 * 50 * 1H = 314 ohms; at 100Hz: 6.28 * 100 * 1H = 628 ohms; at 1KHz: 6.28 * 1K * 1H = 6,280 ohms, and so forth.

That is just the inductance. With real iron and copper you also have pure resistance, which acts in series with the inductance. Without defining "Q", just assume that the Q of an iron/copper inductor at 50Hz is generally no more than about 5 or 10. The inductive reactance of 1H at 50Hz is 314 ohms, so the resistance is probably 63 to 31 ohms. This is often called "DC Resistance", though it actually affects the low-end too.

So with no load on the secondary, the input impedance of a 1H iron-core transformer is 30 to 60 ohms from DC to about 5Hz or 10Hz, then rising to 314 ohms at 50Hz, 6K ohms at 1KHz.

This impedance "shorts" the source, so we have to ask what source impedance we will use. And as far as secondary voltage is concerned, the DC Resistance adds to the source impedance. Assume 30 ohms DCR. If we used a 315 ohm source, 345 ohms total source impedance, the response would be down -3dB at 55Hz and falling below that, but flat above that. Adequate voice quality; for music we might try a 100 ohm source, total source impedance now 130 ohms, -3dB at 22Hz. So we might call this a 100 ohm winding.

For the most part I got that. Correct me if I'm wrong, Q is resonance. I understand how to check for resonant peaks at least in terms of calibrated a tape recorder. What I don't understand in PRR's post is his numerical value of Q, where he says "5 to 10." I'm also getting stuck on the relationship between DCR and load resistance.

PRR makes this practical statement:
is it OK enough to draw conclusions from the estimated Q (5 to 10) and the measured DC-resistance?

That's a starting point. 30 ohm DCR is more likely to be about-600 than about-50K.

For a next step, I would pad-out a signal generator with the estimated impedance, and check the frequency response of the secondary. If the source impedance is too high, the bass will not be good. You can try rating it at a lower impedance, but for cheap transformers you may run into the DCR before you get to 20Hz. This also limits any transformer when used with a zero-ohm source such as a feedback amp.

You should also check the high frequency response. But this is very dependent on load impedance. So you need to pick a specific application and try those values. In general you will get "most" high frequency with very low capacitance and very high resistance. But this usually (for higher-Z windings) gives a peak. The peak will be reduced if you decrease load resistance and increase source resistance, but that can reduce midband level and you usually do not want to lose that. The next step is to use an R-C network to load and damp the treble ring without loading the midrange. But the added C always lowers the ring frequency. On very hi-Z or sloppy-design transformers, there may not be a good compromise.

and I only say practical because it seems to validate my own pensive thinking in terms of just sending signal thru the mystery trafo at known resistance of the source signal.

I would love to understand this:
Peter said in reference to his Ampex SE540,
If I understand this correctly: is it that the DCR may become a problem for such low source-resistances because it starts to dominate the total effective source impedance ?
And then with the lower corner freq determined by (Rout_amp + DCR)/ 2*pi*f*L (?) there's a limit - without any further possible influence of the lower corner from lowering Rout_amp, correct ?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I've got HP tube stuff, oscillator, vtvm and it all outputs at 600 ohm. I've also got a matching transformer for the hp gear that will get me down to 135ohm thru the audio band. So it seems to me I can test for frequency response as you guys described in the Z thread on the signal side easy, but what about the 'scope side? My scopes got an input impedance of 3 megs on the vertical channel. Does that even make a difference?

I thought to put signal thru my own mystery trafo at 600ohm 135ohm, maybe even make a bridging xfrmer out of a UTC A-20 to get 50/125/200/333/500. Ultimately the math in the Z thread could be put aside for a moment and the mystery xfrmr could have frequency response plot thru the A-20s matching impedances and I could simple choose the best plot. Yeah?

Okay, if anybody's actually read this entire post I might owe money or extraordinary praise or something.:wink:

Brad

Read it..

I've got it all the way to volts^2. Don't know ^.

volts^2 means "volts squared", volts x volts.

I understand how impedance increases/decreases from source across the frequency band. Is it the load impedance that's variable?

It's the load presented to your source that is variable with frequency.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Q is resonance

Yes.

What I don't understand in PRR's post is his numerical value of Q, where he says "5 to 10." I'm also getting stuck on the relationship between DCR and load resistance

Q is always quoted without any denominator. It's the bandwidth. Calculate as the distance in Hz between two -3dB points divided by the centre frequency. So if you have 100Hz centre frequency and -3dB points of 60 and 160Hz, you have 100/100=1 - a Q of 1.

Jakob E.

Jakob, there is no praise too great. (sheesh that sounds like I'm buckin' for eagle scout or something...) Your a Bodhisattva, man, simple as that. I don't know how you do it, unless you're Jakob^2. Or ^4.

Intended audio impedance is very often about 15X the DC resistance. 600Ω windings are often 36Ω DCR.

In transformers, when not loaded, the actual impedance is inductive (rising) from bass to midrange. When we are driving a load, we want inductive reactance (2πfL) to be greater than load impedance at the lowest bass frequency we need. 5 Henries will be 628Ω at 20Hz, 2.5KΩ at 80Hz, 6.3KΩ at 200Hz, so with a 600Ω resistor load the transformer self-impedance is "large" compared to load resistance from about 20Hz-40Hz on up. (A high-quality 500Ω winding like UTC A-10 will be about 10H; see CJ's data.)

> I've got HP tube stuff, oscillator, vtvm and it all outputs at 600 ohm.

The 200AB output is more like 110Ω. Try it. Crank it up to about 10V output, and hang a 600 or 470Ω resistor on it. The voltage will not drop to half (5V) as it would if the 200AB were truly 600Ω. In fact you can hang about 120Ω on it before output drops to half. (Try this on the bigger 200 models, at full output, and 1/2Watt resistors will smoke.)

For general testing, I add 470Ω in series with a 200AB's output. 110+470 is close enough to 600 for government work.

My Heath is true 600 at -10 and below, but very-variable at highest output. Every sig-gen designer seems to do it different.

PRR said:
The 200AB output is more like 110Ω. Try it. Crank it up to about 10V output, and hang a 600 or 470Ω resistor on it. The voltage will not drop to half (5V) as it would if the 200AB were truly 600Ω. In fact you can hang about 120Ω on it before output drops to half. (Try this on the bigger 200 models, at full output, and 1/2Watt resistors will smoke.)

Yeah, yeah, of course, thanks PRR. It's INTO a 600 ohm load. ':oops:' There's a 200CD here and a 400H. I usually run the oscillator throught the vtvm and then to whatever's getting tested. I think I'll try to post some 'scope traces once I push some signal through some stuff here. I could push it through the distortion analyzer too, a 330B; it's not ultra sensative but quite fun to play with. Thanks for all your comments fellas, you guys always offer good stuff whenever you get your hooks into a thread.

Bryon, I totally shanghain'd your thread, man, I hope you're getting good stuff from this. If you test your xfrmrs post your results, tell us what you came up with.

I asked Per Lundahl at the AES show what kind of inductance bridge he uses for making accurate meaasurements on transformers and chokes. I was pleasantly surprised to find out he does not use one! He uses a variac off the 50 hertz power line and measures across a resistor. He cranks the variac up to 100 volts when taking measurements! Makes sense to me. Takes the inductance vs level variable out of the equation. Someone will call him and say "this choke dosen't make spec", and he will ask them how they measured it.
cj

hell im glad you hijacked it, you asked better questions! im always way to broad with my questions on msg boards.
im compiling everything posted here into some sort of set of instructions for myself. i wish i could just test a tranny as ratio and freq response quickly though!
-bryan

[quote author="dramadisease"]hell im glad you hijacked it, you asked better questions! im always way to broad with my questions on msg boards.
im compiling everything posted here into some sort of set of instructions for myself. i wish i could just test a tranny as ratio and freq response quickly though!
-bryan[/quote]

More frequency response info:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=3034&start=0

If I can find a fresh battery for my scope camera I'll post some traces. The drag about using semi-ancient test gear is, sometimes ... I can't find fresh batteries for my scope camera. :wink:

OK, I re-asked Per yesterday on his iductance measurement tricks and got the right answer.
He just uses 50 hz from the variac straight into the transformer! No resistors to screw things up. He measures the current draw of the transformer and uses that to compute inductance. Simple and accurate!
You can take measurements at different voltages to make sure you are getting a consistent reading. Make sure you fuse this setup and maybe use an iso tranny, as if you don't it is a very dangerous setup!

There is a little error, as he assumes a perfect inductor, dis-regarding the dc resistance of the inductor. But he says inductance is not really a super critical value, for instance you probably would not know the difference between six and eight henries on the primary of a mic input.

here is a shot of some transformers going for a swim in some air dry epoxy at the Lundahl plant.
Transformers o plenty!

lundahl_1.jpg

Latest posts

Back