What kind of pot (what value) is this?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cactus

I have a Tr*dent S-100 mixer, and the Mic Gain pot went out - is there a way to measure it to see what it's values are?
It has 3 leads coming off of it, and is stamped "A-3" on the back. That's the only writing.

Tr*dent doesn't want to tell me, apparently.

Thanks for any help

Rotate the pot all the way to the left or right, then measure the left most pair of pins or the right most, will an ohm meter, one pair will be zero ohms and the other will be something like 10k, or 100k, or 10 ohm and so on. Then rotate the pot to mid rotation and measure again. If your measurement is half of what you just measured it is a linear taper pot, or if it some small number or almost the full value of the pot it is audio taper.

adam

I just measured the pots. They only read in the full-on (most-gain) position - the measurement is .6 Ohms. I get no reading if the pot is anyway but full-on.
Any pointers

Never encountered a pot like that myself, but there are people that have alot more knowledge in this stuff then I do. Along with some trident users. One of them will be along shortly.

adam

Hey Cactus,

This may be a silly question... but do you have your meter set to the right range?? You may have to try a couple of ranges to find the most appropriate. It sounds like you may have your multimeter set to a very low range...

Justin.

Back